At the emergency vet /vent

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girl who was diagnosed with eosinophilic IBD not so very long ago vomited blood this morning (new). At least, I’m pretty sure it was her. So now we’re at the emergency vet because her regular vet doesn’t have an opening for another week and there’s a 5+ hour wait time here because she’s very very stable. Which I get. She’s not a true emergency but she still needs to be seen today. So it’s still frustrating. And the longer we wait the more likely they’ll need to sedate her. Blegh. Just needed to vent to the void 🤗

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ugh, I hate that. I've been there a few times with things that aren't emergency emergencies but too urgent to wait for your regular vet to have openings. Once with my girl when she had a pupil that wasn't dilating and my boy with an abcess that if I waited would end up worse (although the emergency vet failed that one and it got worse due to bad care but that's another story). My ER has a cat waiting room off the main lobby luckily so I am not in the thick of things but it really sucks just waiting. I wish they had virtual waiting rooms like restaurants sometimes but I also get that they want you there when they are ready.

Catmom1234567890

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little one is just diagnosed with eosinophilic IBD. I hope she recovers soon. I just don’t see lot of info on eosinophilic IBD.

I belong to raw food group and many have seen good results with raw feeding. I would like to try raw and not against it. My late kitty was on raw diet. However, chronic parasite in the stomach can contribute to eosinophilic IBD.

Keep us updated. 🙏

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are putting your cat first, despite the mess that you are facing, and are certainly to be commended for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh, I hate that. I've been there a few times with things that aren't emergency emergencies but too urgent to wait for your regular vet to have openings. Once with my girl when she had a pupil that wasn't dilating and my boy with an abcess that if I waited would end up worse (although the emergency vet failed that one and it got worse due to bad care but that's another story). My ER has a cat waiting room off the main lobby luckily so I am not in the thick of things but it really sucks just waiting. I wish they had virtual waiting rooms like restaurants sometimes but I also get that they want you there when they are ready.
Their waiting room still isn’t open due to COVID so we just hung out in the car. But it would be even nicer if I could check in online as a “non-emergency but still needs to be seen” appointment.

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry that you guys are there and hope your girl is ok afterwards - I also hope that it’s not actually a five-hour wait before you’re seen! ❤
Thanks! 3 hour wait so not too terrible haha

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. She has some sucralfate onboard now, no foreign body, and probably an IBD flare-up or maybe an ulcer. More surprisingly she didn’t try to eat anyone’s face 😶 I let her eat some canned z/d for the first time when we got home and she attacked it so…she’s fine haha.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sucks, but glad she's ok.

I have a "back-up vet" that I've used when I couldn't get into my primary vet. It's the vet associated with the rescue I got my kitty from, but I established Juno as a patient in my name when she needed to be seen again and I was still on the wait list for my first appointment with the primary vet. The second place is not a true emergency vet but it has evening and Saturday hours; and it's in the suburbs vs. city so it seems to be easier to get in. The last time I needed it, I got an appointment that same night. I'm wondering if they'll eventually figure out I'm double- timing them and drop me, but until then, I like having the option.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are urgent pet care clinics popping up around the US now. See if there is one in your area. Some don't require an appointment but do be prepared to wait a bit if you just walk in. Hours may not be typical (example: 4pm to 10pm weekdays). Some vet ERs are currently triaging cases at the door and sending non-emergency cases to local urgent care clinics because they're so short staffed and can't handle as many cases as they could pre-pandemic.

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are urgent pet care clinics popping up around the US now. See if there is one in your area. Some don't require an appointment but do be prepared to wait a bit if you just walk in. Hours may not be typical (example: 4pm to 10pm weekdays). Some vet ERs are currently triaging cases at the door and sending non-emergency cases to local urgent care clinics because they're so short staffed and can't handle as many cases as they could pre-pandemic.
I’m honestly not sure what my area is going to do. We have several vet clinics but they’re all booked solid these days and obviously the staff have their limit (fair). So what happens is if you need to be seen that day your only option is one of three emergency vets and the clinics will absolutely punt you their way. The vet clinic where I used to live actually built in walk-in times and it seemed to work well - never much of a wait and when my cat had a “syncope episode” (read: went into v-fib for a minute) they got me straight in. If their walk-in slots filled up then you could go to the emergency clinic or wait. Nobody does that here.