At Least One of My Cats is Going to the Bathroom around My House. HELP!

catluvr321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have 2 cats.  At least 1 of them is going to the bathroom around my large house.  Here is some info if you need it..

- Calico and Tabby cats

- Female

- Large house

- 2 litter boxes (1 in bathroom; other in entry room [with cat food and water across from it])

- Has been happening almost every day for a week

- 2nd litter box is behind a door
- All litter boxes have covers
- Indoor cats but go out on a harness about once in 2 weeks

Hope this helps.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they spayed? How often are the boxes cleaned?

Try an uncovered litterbox; some cats just don't like the covered ones.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

catluvr321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are spayed. The litterbox is cleaned about every 2 days. They are fully washed every month or 2. I will think about the uncovered litterbox idea.

furacious

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You *may* need to clean it more often. Cats like it really clean. I have 3 cats, 3 big covered boxes and we scoop twice a day (morning and night). I add a little fresh litter every couple days and do a full wash and full litter change once a week.

furacious

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Might also be a medical issue, although I always hate to suggest that...hope you figure out the solution quickly and easily.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The general rule about cats and litter boxes is to have at least one more box than you have cats, and do not have them all in the same area. Some cats do not like to pee and poop in the same box, so they will use one for each function.  Also, some cats prefer covered boxes and some cats don't like them, so again it's good to have at least one of each.  Covered boxes should not have swinging door flaps on them either.  Sometimes cats do not want to use a litter box someone else has pooped in, so if there isn't a spare available, they will use the floor.  Scooping every two days might be part of your problem.  If people in your house only flushed the toilet every two days, would you want to use it?  A cat's  nose is extremely sensitive to scents because there are approximately 200 million odor-sensitive cells in the nostrils which make cats an adept sniffer. With only 5 million odor-sensitive cells in humans, our ability to smell is pale in comparison.

Here is an article about litter boxes.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/the-10-most-common-litterbox-mistakes-cat-owners-make

And here is a video by Jackson Galaxy as a sort of review (amusing but informative!)

Last edited:

catluvr321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank You for the ideas of cleaning it more often
Thank you for the website and video.

Last edited by a moderator:

catluvr321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have put the food and water in a different area. I also have taken the top off of 1 litter box.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you will find by using a large sized litter box, uncovered ( you can buy them at Walmart for about $14.00 a piece), scooping  out at least once per day, if you have more than 1 cat  twice daily,  and dumping the litter and washing out the box once a week at least  will make a big difference with the cat that is not using the box at all.    Also remember the "number plus one" box rule when have multiple cats

Last edited:

catluvr321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks a lot! I have taken the top off of my large covered litterbox.