At home euthanasia vs. vet's office

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thank you. You never know just how attached ... and how much your day revolves around your furbabies til they're gone.. even the lil quirky things such as when she woke me every night and morning to "knead on my neck"... ohhhhh to feel it again! But we'll be ok! I have to remember my promise to her :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@BeccaGore: So sorry for your experience, poor kitty. It was a very brave and selfless thing to do, staying with Sharon to keep her feeling safe and loved, while having to witness a euthanasia like that. RIP Sharon :rbheart:

beccagore

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. He was great cat while we were able to have him.

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much. He was great cat while we were able to have him.
Oops... I meant "him". I thought the story of your naming him a traditionally girl name and finding out later he was a boy was a cute one, and fumbled it on the 1 yard line!

All our kitties enrich our lives, each in their own ways. He was lucky to have you too.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@BeccaGore...made me smile because when we brought Mikki and Minnie home, it was Mickey and Minnie, until later we found out Mickey was a Mikki :)

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@BeccaGore...made me smile because when we brought Mikki and Minnie home, it was Mickey and Minnie, until later we found out Mickey was a Mikki
Lol, too cute!

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Happened to me too and was pretty embarrassing! I brought Malibu to the vet because I thought her "lady part" was swollen. I asked my vet if she might have an STD! My vet was pretty amused when he informed me that it was not a swollen, std infected vagina but testicles. I felt pretty stupid :D

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
haha, that made me giggle. When we found out, we told the vet, by the way...you gave "Mickey" a blue folder...it's supposed to be pink. That's when he said...ummmm nooooo Mickey is a girl. Thus the spelling change lol

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Happened to me too and was pretty embarrassing! I brought Malibu to the vet because I thought her "lady part" was swollen. I asked my vet if she might have an STD! My vet was pretty amused when he informed me that it was not a swollen, std infected vagina but testicles. I felt pretty stupid

*composes self....*
 Sorry. That was really funny! Bet you and the vet had a good laugh over that!

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:

Ok, I've been pretty quiet on Roni's condition, because I did not want to jinx things... but for those that have been following this plight from the beginning: so far, she's doing really really great!

We are about halfway through the six week course of antibiotics and with the help of some probiotics, fluids and herbs, in addition to the traditional medicine - I think she's going to make it!

With the exception of a little bit of wobbly in the back legs, very very slight, she is looking better than I've seen her in a long time. She is eating like a horse, starting to get much better with using her litter box, grooming herself impeccably, very mobile around the house... and it's funny because when she was really sick, I would feed her right next to her bed which she barely got out of - now she wants to be fed back in the kitchen where she used to be fed. She practically demands it. Unfortunately she will not hang out on her window perch anymore, I think she associates it with feeling so sick. I hope that goes away.

With this infection being in her kidneys, and her kidneys were already slightly compromised, I know anything could happen at anytime... but I don't see her going into kidney failure at this point, at least due to this infection.

I hope I didn't jinx thing by posting this, I've been a little bit hesitant to get my hopes up that she was going to beat this, I thought it could very well be the end. This is tiny, fragile looking little kitty cat is the most tenacious fighter I have ever seen. She has been knocking on death's door a few times over the past few years and this was by far her biggest Hail Mary to date

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hey....we all know it's day to day no matter what the case...and this day is one you should definitely smile about!

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Everyone on the planets is day to day, some have more days than others. It is not how many you have that is important, but what you do with them. Live, laugh, love and enjoy![emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128062[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji]

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So glad to hear this--what a rollercoaster it's been!  Enjoy your time with that little girl, you've both been through a lot!

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Wasabipea
Oh, so very happy to hear how well Roni is doing.Yes you both have been through so much.I know the joy you must be feeling on the great progress she has made.Please do enjoy it.Like one of the above posters said all any of us really have is day to day.Not one of us knows our future or the future of our loved pets.Enjoy how well Roni is doing right now . Here's good wishes that she will continue to do well.Take Care of both Roni and also yourself.Remember you are the reason Roni is doing so well.She may be a fighter but she could never fight alone.You two made it together!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please send your good thoughts and wishes, I suppose it could still be touch and go but I think we're past that point by now. If anyone could have seen her 3 months ago, she just looked like an absolute goner.

Karma: Please don't jinx her for my post... she's been thru enough! :cross:
Yes, both you and Roni have been through enough! I keep thinking and sending positive vibes/prayers for Roni that she will continue to improve!! It is really, really wonderful to hear how much better she is NOW than she was three months ago. Just amazing, the change and I hope and want SO much for this to continue. I am always so grateful for yet another day with them and that gift of time they bestow on us. You both are quite the team, Wendy, and keep fighting the good fight together. :soldier: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :cross: :cross: :vibes: :vibes: :rub:

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we had to euthanize Sweet Thing because of her kidney failure, we took her in to the vet.  She was terrified the whole way, as she always was on a vet visit.  And I felt guilty as all hell for doing it to/for her, as well as for having allowed her to suffer as long as I did (damned if you do, damned if you don't).  It was a single-shot procedure, in the abdomen, and I was startled by how fast she went; I had thought there would be a moment to say goodbye after the shot.

Then Pretzel got cancer of the sebaceous (ear wax) gland in her left ear, and surgery didn't take care of it.  We decided that chemo and radiation therapy would be too hard on both her and our budget, so we decided that it was time.  She had spent weeks in the veterinary hospital, apparently convinced that we'd deserted her there (she was a favorite of everyone who worked there because of the way she made up to them, trying to get one of them to adopt her), and we didn't want to expose her to the trauma of a vet visit, so we got a mobile vet to come to our house and do it.  We sat in the conversation pit, with Pretzel on both our laps, and petted her, and told her what a good cat she was and how much we loved her, and then the vet came over and gave her the shot.  I asked about giving her a pain med first -- at that point she was something of a junkie -- but the vet said no point, so this was a single shot also.

In both cases, the cat just drifted off peacefully to sleep.  And I still grieve for both of them.  And I have only one picture of Pretzel, and no picture at all of Sweet Thing.  And I'm crying over my keyboard right now.  And my husband tells me that when I was in the hospital for brain surgery a couple of years ago (benign 5 cm. tumor) I decided that we would never have another cat because losing them was so hard.  Fortunately, he hasn't tried to hold me to that -- I wasn't entirely "with it" at the time.

Margret

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
When we had to euthanize Sweet Thing because of her kidney failure, we took her in to the vet.  She was terrified the whole way, as she always was on a vet visit.  And I felt guilty as all hell for doing it to/for her, as well as for having allowed her to suffer as long as I did (damned if you do, damned if you don't).  It was a single-shot procedure, in the abdomen, and I was startled by how fast she went; I had thought there would be a moment to say goodbye after the shot.

Then Pretzel got cancer of the sebaceous (ear wax) gland in her left ear, and surgery didn't take care of it.  We decided that chemo and radiation therapy would be too hard on both her and our budget, so we decided that it was time.  She had spent weeks in the veterinary hospital, apparently convinced that we'd deserted her there (she was a favorite of everyone who worked there because of the way she made up to them, trying to get one of them to adopt her), and we didn't want to expose her to the trauma of a vet visit, so we got a mobile vet to come to our house and do it.  We sat in the conversation pit, with Pretzel on both our laps, and petted her, and told her what a good cat she was and how much we loved her, and then the vet came over and gave her the shot.  I asked about giving her a pain med first -- at that point she was something of a junkie -- but the vet said no point, so this was a single shot also.

In both cases, the cat just drifted off peacefully to sleep.  And I still grieve for both of them.  And I have only one picture of Pretzel, and no picture at all of Sweet Thing.  And I'm crying over my keyboard right now.  And my husband tells me that when I was in the hospital for brain surgery a couple of years ago (benign 5 cm. tumor) I decided that we would never have another cat because losing them was so hard.  Fortunately, he hasn't tried to hold me to that -- I wasn't entirely "with it" at the time.

Margret
Let's see Pretzels photo? Do you have a cat now?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm currently visiting my mother out-of-state. The picture of Pretzel is a hard copy stereoscopic photo that I took with my brand new (then) camera. When I get home in a month and a half or so I'll scan the picture and post it, along with instructions for viewing.

If you look at the picture of me in my profile, you'll see me sitting next to Roger (my husband), with our current cat, Jasmine, on my lap.

Jasmine is three years old, with the longest, softest fur I've ever petted, and apparently a lot of Maine Coon Cat in her recent gene pool. She's also the smartest cat I've ever met. If she stands on a table and hooks her claws into a curtain to try to reach a little higher for a better view out of the window, she actually understands that the way to get un-caught from the curtain is to retract her claws, not to try to pull them loose. She doesn't get nearly as much time playing with the "red dot" as she'd like, because she's figured out that it comes from the laser pointer and looks at the laser pointer. (BTW, for a very funny song about the red dot, go to www.hwaet.org, go to songbook, and look for "Today is the Day." You can download words, sheet music, or the .mp3 of it.)

I also have one picture of Floppy, who was lost two years ago when house guests let her outside and she was (probably) eaten by coyotes. It's on a memory stick in my old Palm Pilot, which is also at home. Once I figure out how to actually get at those pictures, I'll post it, also.

Margret

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww... you have had some tough losses. It's always really hard when they get outside and never come back, because you don't know what happened - or maybe the will return. I had one years ago, Poncho, who vanished outside never to return. I was living with my now-ex (at the time I was waiting for him to be my Then Ex) and I wanted to move out so bad... but kept on thinking "what if Poncho comes back and I"m not here?". I stayed a long time before deciding that he wasn't coming back.

It's so hard to lose them no matter the circumstance, but if time allows - I'm really going to try for the At Home the next time. But I'm trying not to think about that now for Roni's case, she has fought so hard.

I'm sorry for the pain that the losses caused you.