Astro turf/Fake grass for cat trees. Anyone tried it?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm going to refurbish one of my indoor cat climbers soon. I usually cover it with carpet, but I was wondering if fake grass might be better.

Has anyone used this?
How did it work out?
Is it more or less durable than carpet?

The tree is only used indoors, but it gets a lot of use from my 20, very active cats.

Thanks in advance.

:greenpaw::greenpaw::greenpaw:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't used astro turf, however, long ago, early 90s, when they were
first trying to make rugs out of plastic, I got one for the living room to give
my dogs traction and protect their knees. It kept them from falling, but when they played on it, rolling around wrestling etc they got rug burn. This never happened before or after I went back to fabric carpets. They all had thickish fur and were large dogs.

That's my experience with non fabric coverings.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Astroturf is tailor made for playing sports on and is very tough, and has a rough surface by necessity for traction. Yes it's durable but it's not good for an everyday "play" surface, I'd just use regular carpet or sisal instead. For a vertical surface though? Maybe, since a Cat isn't going to be rolling around and wrestling on it, but if you have any Cats that like to rub up against the posts you might want to use regular carpet or sisal for the bottom foot or so to keep them from rubbing against the astroturf.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It kept them from falling, but when they played on it, rolling around wrestling etc they got rug burn.
I've heard it cat get very hot in the sun too. They make pet friendly versions these days, I wonder if that would be safer than the original stuff?
Maybe, since a Cat isn't going to be rolling around and wrestling on it, but if you have any Cats that like to rub up against the posts you might want to use regular carpet or sisal for the bottom foot or so to keep them from rubbing against the astroturf.
I'm planning to make the up-right posts from wood and sisal, just cover the flat surfaces with astroturf. I've seen lots of pictures of fake grass cat trees, so that's what gave me the idea.

They mainly use the cat tree as a way of getting up and down from their cardboard box shanti town on top of the wardrobe. I guess I could put astroturf on the narrower steps and cover the large platform with carpet. Or maybe astroturf and then a cushion on top on the largest platform?

OK, you've given me a few things to think about. I guess I'll go and see what's available in my local hardware store and take it from there.

Thanks for your comments. I'll let you know what I come up with.

:thumbsup:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is pretty. will you be putting the shelves back next to it to make it stable? The narrow base worries me.

but can they grip it to keep from sliding off? Can they scratch on it? 10 of my cats only liked to scratch flat carpet, not up and down carpet. none had much interest in scratching posts, but the flat scratchers didn't even like sofa sides, just the tops of the arms.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all at once. Never more than 8 at a time. Only one set of kittens because the cat we adopted came that way. See, not so bad at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It is pretty. will you be putting the shelves back next to it to make it stable? The narrow base worries me.

but can they grip it to keep from sliding off? Can they scratch on it?
It usually stands in the corner like this.

Redec14_R.jpg

They use it for getting up and down from the top of the wardrobe, where they have a lot of beds and boxes to sleep in. It's a pretty heavy tree, we've had it for about 8 years and they haven't managed to knock it over yet.

Yes, they can scratch it. It crinkles like those Mylar balls you can buy for cats. They seem to really like the noise it makes.

yikes 20 cats? :lol: how do you keep up with them all
It's a full time job!

:lol:

I do cat rescue and take in abandoned or unwanted kittens from time to time. The most we've ever had in this house is 26. That was fun.

;)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you got one that stays put. And it is pretty.
We loved the Mylar balls, actually still do, until I read that someone's cat dropped hers in the water bowl and it dyed the water. Another said it stained her white cat's face. It did grow out and back to normal color. Sigh, I love the Mylar balls but now just hang them from the ceiling. With long enough strings they can be lowered to be batting toys. Loop the string up to keep out of reach when not home.

Our favorite toy was a bird on an elastic string which clamped to the top
of the door frame. SG loved pulling it as far as possible and letting it go. Then one night she got the elastic wrapped around her neck and one leg. She couldn't call for help. Fortunately, we noticed in time and
rescued her. She now has a stuffed bird, no more sling shot strangle me now toy. Is it my cats or are the good toys dangerous?