Asthmatic cat help!

jamaal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all....I have a cat who is 2 yrs old and recently diagnosed with asthma. The first time she was diagnosed, they told me it might be asthma, so I got prednisolone pills, which were tiny, and that was it. She took those pills in food without problem. Two months later she is coughing again, many times a day....so I was given the liquid prednisolone and theophylline pills, which are pretty big. Like human sized pills. I have no idea how to give her these pills. She was semi feral as a kitten, she does not like to be picked up or touched by any one but me. She freaks out if she's on my lap and someone comes close to me....giving her a pill by mouth without food is impossible. If I catch her once and wrap her and pill her, that will be the last time that happens! She will not let me near her again. I tried the liquid and she tasted it and and ran away and wouldn't let me near her with any kind of food for the rest of the night.  So that is also out. The vet also spoke to me about the aerokat, but getting her to use that seems impossible. Is there any way to get a cat like this to use that inhaler? Does anyone have any experience with this? I know most cats wouldn't like to have a mask on their face, and this cat can't even be picked up. I really don't want her on steroids her whole life.  Also if a cat is on prednisolone what is the usual dosage per day. I tried with the every other day and she needs it everyday apparently....any help or info that you have would be awesome. 

flmickey90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Frannie has asthma and haven't been prescribed any medication for her, but have taken her in for the Depo-Medrol shot and that seems to help her.  When she was given pills before (a bit of a story will come,will try to not make it long), I'd crush it and put it in with her food.  Know it's usually not advised to do it because they won't always eat all the moist food, but that felt the easiest way without stressing her to much because would always seem to have a struggle to try and give it to her as could never get her situated right without having a struggle.  When I was in the process of adopting her, she was hacking/coughing quite a bit and the gal FINALLY listened to me after I was on her about it and that was they were thinking wasn't the issue (furball).  So FINALLY after about 3 days of this going, she took her to the vet for the place that she's with for adopting and she was given the shot plus medication for a bronchial infection.  It continued even after I adopted her and I took her to the vet I had for my other cat for a check over and would have to go back about every month because of this.  He didn't seem concerned that it was any other issue than an infection and not asthma or anything else.  I switched vets and found that she does have asthma and is also negative for FIV after having the results come back that she was positive after I adopted her (the quick test at the first vet and the western blot at the new vet).  She started her cough/hack again the other day and decided to get her in for the shot before it got any worse (the same day I found out she is actually FIV NEGATIVE!) that she may have another health issue that have to take her in for another test tomorrow.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would call the vet on Monday and ask for a different med and also ask about the AeroKat nebulizer and get a prescription for meds for that.  As for the prednisolone, can you cut it into small pieces and offer it in small chunks of cheddar cheese or in some CheezeWhiz?  They use Cheeze Whiz as a treat at the cat-only vet's office. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The AeroKat is great. It looks SO much scarier than it actually is, and is THE most effective way to manage asthma.

It sounds like you are able to handle her pretty well. That's all you need. My reaction was the same as yours when my old boy needed the AeroKat. There I was, with a cat that was so impossible to pill that the VET decided it was better for his health not to medicate him until his chf was end stage. I mean, he found going to the vet every 48hrs for an injection LESS stressful than taking a pill!

I got the AeroKat as a last resort, and there wasn't time for a 'softly, softly' approach. Initially, the best way I found to give the treatment was to kneel on the floor and snuggle him on the floor between my legs (so using my body to prevent him reversing out). I'm right handed, so I'd use my left hand to gently restrain forward movement - just high enough to stop him pawing at the AeroKat. I'd use my right hand to give the treatment. It doesn't take long at all. The whole time I'd be talking to him in a rhythmic, soft tone - gently soothing him and telling him how good he was being. I'd always have an extra yummy treat on hand to give as soon as I was done too.

Ok, he hated it initially, but the great thing about the AeroKat is that it kicks in quick enough for them to associate it with feeling better. Cali never enjoyed it, but pretty soon we were at the point where he'd come and get me if I was late for a treatment! He knew it helped and wouldn't take long.

It really helps to get into a vet type mindset - cool and calm, but very insistent: 'I know you may not like it, but it is happening anyway.' Don't try to rush, or get worried about doing it - just get in the zone and go for it.

I should note that Cali was my mother's cat, and we really weren't bonded AT ALL when all this started. I was the evil person who pilled him and got his matts out and got him in the carrier for vet trips. I was barely allowed to stroke him! This whole process actually created a bond between us!

You have a much stronger bond with your girl. I'm sure that if you're calm and matter of fact about it all then it will be possible. Trust yourself and your abilities and she will trust you back. You can do this! :hugs: :vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamaal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried to cut up the pieces of theophlline but she smells it in there! I can try the cheese whiz tonight , she never had a problem with the prednisolone pills I gave her, she even licked it a few times, didn't really notice it. But this stuff must be much different because she just sniffs it and takes off. 

As far as the AeroKat, the nebulizer sounds like a better option than the mask for her. I wonder how expensive that will be...I can handle her well enough, but to get her to put a mask on her face and sit there for even a second is crazy! She spazzes out with any little thing. The mask will freak her out, and to put it on her face, no way. It might happen once but not twice. I couldn't get her in to her carrier to go to the vet...I picked her up she was ok, saw the carrier, went nuts, scratched me up and went under the bed! She once got a paper bag caught on the back end of her body, the handle, and went nuts, hurt herself in the process, didn't come out for days, and was so jumpy when she did come out....and is now terrified of paper bags, this was over a year ago! That's who I am dealing with. That mask will be the paper bag! If by some miracle I could get her to use it it will take a very long time to get her used to it. Unless of course the cheese whiz works tonight...she does come running for whipped cream...cheese might be even better...

Also, anyone else's cat still have the whole coughing asthma attacks even with the treatment. At first my cat took the predisolone but it didn't work for the first 3 or 4 days so I gave her the antibiotic they gave me. Using both her sypmtoms subsided. No coughing at all for months, and she wasn't on any medication either. Now she started back up and this time it isn't stopping. When I tried to wean her off she started coughing like crazy and I had to get her back on them again. I took her back to the vet because the coughing is not stopping. So now I have new meds and liquid prednisolone.....So, do cats still cough even if being treated every day? And she is coughing everyday, but it's once, and usually in the morning, early, and later at night.....

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The problem with treating asthma orally is that you need a much higher dose of the drug to actually get to the lungs in the first place, and that the drugs are less effective once they've got there. Inhaling the meds makes SUCH a difference. Cali was in a really bad way before we started the AeroKat, despite being on high doses of pre and diuretics to keep the fluid off his lungs. The difference in him was astounding.

I respect your saying you don't think the AeroKat would suit your girl, but I firmly believe that inhaled meds is the way to go. If a nebuliser sounds more workable then go with that, but do try one or the other.

You might find this site is useful reading http://www.fritzthebrave.com

Hang in there. I'm sure you'll find the right meds combo soon :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

flmickey90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I've had to give pills, I crushed it up completely and mixed into their moist food.  I've also seen pill crushers sold at the one vet office I went to and think that they have it at the one I'm going to now.  But then again, they could probably still smell it.  But I've also seen treats that the pills can be put in them at the vets office as well as petco.  Sorry if might be repeating someone that's responded already on the treats part.  I'm still relatively new to a pet having any kind of issue and the one I have now is only the second cat I've had since living where am at now that has allowed pets.  Know that this is a different pill (a flea treatment for a dog), but I babysit for a friend and her husband and I've seen him heat up some bacon grease and crushed up the pill real good and mixed it into the grease to give it to their two pits

flmickey90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I should also mention that I haven't had to go any other route yet other than the shot, so am not sure how it would go for my Frannie.  It hasn't gotten to that point yet and the shot has started to work relatively soon after, at least within a good 6 hours.  The last time (before getting the one yesterday) she had to have one, she only had a couple of small little coughs and they were not as hard as they had been before.

When I've had to give pills, I crushed it up completely and mixed into their moist food.  I've also seen pill crushers sold at the one vet office I went to and think that they have it at the one I'm going to now.  But then again, they could probably still smell it.  But I've also seen treats that the pills can be put in them at the vets office as well as petco.  Sorry if might be repeating someone that's responded already on the treats part.  I'm still relatively new to a pet having any kind of issue and the one I have now is only the second cat I've had since living where am at now that has allowed pets.  Know that this is a different pill (a flea treatment for a dog), but I babysit for a friend and her husband and I've seen him heat up some bacon grease and crushed up the pill real good and mixed it into the grease to give it to their two pits

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My little calico Julie was an asthmatic  who  passed away Sept 2007 (not from asthma but cancer at 13 years old).  She needed to get Depo-Medrol shots I believe once a month.  It's been a while and can't remember but I believe it was once per month.  Your vet  would advise how often.  It seemed to help her.

flmickey90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

My little calico Julie was an asthmatic  who  passed away Sept 2007 (not from asthma but cancer at 13 years old).  She needed to get Depo-Medrol shots I believe once a month.  It's been a while and can't remember but I believe it was once per month.  Your vet  would advise how often.  It seemed to help her.
So sorry about little Julie.  Yes, the Depo-Medrol is a once a month shot.  That's what my Frannie is on for her asthma issue.  It has helped my Frannie and that's the only thing that she's had to have, at least for the time being.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamaal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SO I tried crushing it all up and mixing, no luck, sniffed it and walked away...I had to just give her one of the last prednisolone pills I have left.  I'm going to call the vet and let them know this is not working. I would like to have her on inhaled meds, but I really don't know how long that will take to get her to use it.  Her breathing is no good for the past week, and she has been on prednisolone everyday...I really wanted to get the theophylline in her so she can get some relief. I have no idea what is causing this to happen to her....she is coughing so much more this past week and it was previously once a day or not at all.....and before July she never coughed once in her life....So now I'm just worried about her needing these pills every day and she's still coughing more than once a day, and if she tries to play and wrestle with her little partner in crime, she can't, she has to stop and start coughing....what is that about? I thought it would be under control by now. 

flmickey90

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my!  Know the feeling as I've been in the same situation with having struggles for giving medication.  I'm sorry it's hasn't worked and I don't know what else to say, but do what you have planned in getting in touch with the vet to see what the next best step would be.  I hope that something will be done to help her soon!  Hugs to you and your little baby!  Know how hard it can be to see them struggle like that!  Have been through that as well when I first got my baby and she was going through it.  Am glad I have found something that is helping her!  

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
SO I tried crushing it all up and mixing, no luck, sniffed it and walked away...I had to just give her one of the last prednisolone pills I have left.  I'm going to call the vet and let them know this is not working. I would like to have her on inhaled meds, but I really don't know how long that will take to get her to use it.  Her breathing is no good for the past week, and she has been on prednisolone everyday...I really wanted to get the theophylline in her so she can get some relief. I have no idea what is causing this to happen to her....she is coughing so much more this past week and it was previously once a day or not at all.....and before July she never coughed once in her life....So now I'm just worried about her needing these pills every day and she's still coughing more than once a day, and if she tries to play and wrestle with her little partner in crime, she can't, she has to stop and start coughing....what is that about? I thought it would be under control by now. 
:hugs: Asthma can be so hard to get under control, especially when you're trying to find the right meds combo. Hang in there - you will get on top of this. Try not to stress about administering inhaled meds. You'll just psych yourself out. The first few days will be the hardest, but once she makes the connection between treatment and feeling better it will get easier. There's always a way through. :hugs: :vibes:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Asthma is caused when the passageways of the lungs become inflamed. It could be triggered by airborne allergens, airborne triggers (heavily scented smelly things like candles, air sprays, and the like), or chemicals used in cleaning.  Also, high humidity doesn't help either.  That's why predisone helps.  Prednisone acts as an anti-inflammatory, but it also can cause other issues if used extensively for too long.  So, the coughing is because her airways are inflamed and she can't get enough air in her lungs to play extensively or to play hard.