Asthma Friendly Litter Box Odor Control

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I currently use Dr. Elsey's Respiratory Relief Litter in all boxes because I have a cat with asthma. It definitely helps her but is not great at controlling odors. My six month old male kitten, Hooper, has very strong smelling urine and I am looking for odor control solutions that are asthma friendly (for my cat, and me as well). He is getting neutered in less than two weeks (the earliest my vet would do it) and I am hoping that will help some. Right now his box is in his enclosed room so the smell in there is quite strong.

I scoop twice a day and clean boxes completely every one or two weeks. Right now his box is in his safe room which tends to trap the odor.

Any suggestions?

I've had female cats only for the past twenty years and had forgotten about the boy cat smell!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smart Cat grass seed works great for my asthmatic kitty, and it works for me when it comes to odor control, but well, I don't have unfixed male so not sure if that would cover such strong smell :) or anything else actually.. But worth trying imo. You can also use the activated charcoal air purifying bags, as I'm guessing chemical air fresheners are out of question for your household.
Good luck, remember it's only temporary anyway.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does the room have a window you could open a little? Maybe try placing non-scented non-toxic odor absorbers in the room?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It would be great to just open a window, but we are having record breaking heat and no screens on the windows. I do have an odor absorber and moved my air purifier into the room so hopefully that will help.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My six month old male kitten, Hooper, has very strong smelling urine and I am looking for odor control solutions that are asthma friendly (for my cat, and me as well). He is getting neutered in less than two weeks (the earliest my vet would do it) and I am hoping that will help some. Right now his box is in his enclosed room so the smell in there is quite strong.
The strong tom-cat urine smell will go away once he's neutered. It may take a few weeks to for the hormones to be out of his system, but once gone, his urine shouldn't smell any different than a female cat's urine.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
i sue the litter breeze system and it really reduces cat litter odors. it can take some time for cats to adapt to the pellets, but the end result is extremely good odor control.

My new cat took about a month to adapt to the pellets, but it was pretty night and day how much the smell was reduced.

the breeze system can cost a bit more if you use the standard refills, but if you use generic pads and the walnut pellets from Blue Buffalo, the price is about the same if not a bit lower than standard litter.

There's basically no dust for asthma (which my wife, who has asthma, really likes about it), so that's a plus, too.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Try lining the litter box with a puppy pad. It prevents urine from pooling at the bottom of the box and definitely reduces odors in the box. I switch my liner once a week.

christfawk

Keeps hobblin' along
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used the Dr. Elsey's respiratory relief and have found that Arm and Hammer's Cloud Control litter works better for half(ish) the price. However, that was for human respiratory sensitivities not cat.

Good luck! Also maybe try some natural litters like sWheat scoop!

WillowMarie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Isabelle has asthma (worse in spring- seasonal allergies). My vet never talked to me about types of cat litter that I should be using, but have used tidy cats clumping for years. When they came out with Free and Clear Unscented that uses Charcoal, I switched due to the litter being unscented and my vet has mentioned to not use scents (perfumes, etc.) as it can aggravate the asthma. I've been really happy with it, and the cats do not smell like fragrance after using the litter box, like the older Tidy Cats that were scented. Isabelle may take a little more time burying her poops because she can smell them more because there is no scent to the cat litter, but I have not noticed any negative smell after the poop is covered up or in between full replacements.