Asthma And Allergies

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
My friend has a long haired kitten her son has chronic Asthma and allergies her daughter wants to keep him but how can they help make it so he can stay and keep pet dandruff away and stuff she really loves him but they have to find a home I can't take him i have spooky

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Allergies and asthma can be a bad combination but not insurmountable. It's a combination of cleanliness, habits and personal practices (in my experience, I am allergic to cats and have asthma triggered by them).

1. Cleanliness - this is keeping the home and the cat clean. Daily brushing of the cat and a monthly bath. Regular dusting, vaccuming and cleaning of any cloth surfaces (curtains, bedding, etc). Usually once a week works for me, but more regular isn't a bad thing.
  2. Habits - Not letting the cat onto furniture or covering furniture with a sheet where the cat goes. My couch has a blanket the cats sleep on and that gets washed regularly to keep fur off the rest of the couch. Keeping the child with allergies bedroom door closed and not allowing cats in there is a good one. Also keeping a window slightly open to allow airflow in that room (plus a fan) so hair doesn't settle on surfaces as readily. Cleaning the sheets regularly and making the bed everyday. Some throw pillows or covering the pillows with the top blanket helps greatly.
  3. Personal practices - I've developed a certain tolerance for my own cats (usually takes a year) so they don't require this but for other cats I make sure I wash my hands after petting. Also things like taking daily allergy and asthma medication plus paying attention to know if Benadryl is needed to combat a bad day.
It is possible to have a cat and live with allergies. It just requires some dedication and changes (assuming the allergy isn't one of those life-threatening levels). But, it is a decision the one with the allergies should make. Medications make me a little drowsy and other habits require time. It isn't comfortable during adjustment periods to build up a tolerance to new animals and I wouldn't want someone else to force me to adapt. I don't like hearing someone rehomed because of allergies, but at the same time I do understand if someone isn't willing to take the steps to make it work or their allergies are severe enough that there isn't a choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
Her son is a severe asthmatic and he can't take Benadryl her daughter wants to keep the cat but she's worried about the winter months

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Her son is a severe asthmatic and he can't take Benadryl her daughter wants to keep the cat but she's worried about the winter months
I have to do a daily allergy tablet and nasal spray to control my allergies. If he can't take any sort of medication then keeping the cat would probably not be an option, as much as it pains me to say.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I know he's so adorable I would take him but I don't think spooky and sandwich would like that and disown me so I feel so bad could she trim his hair to control the dandruff and bath him in some non hypoallergenic shampoo to help control it so she can keep him

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know he's so adorable I would take him but I don't think spooky and sandwich would like that and disown me so I feel so bad could she trim his hair to control the dandruff and bath him in some non hypoallergenic shampoo to help control it so she can keep him
Shampooing might help. But unless other steps in the household for cleaning are taken it will only make a small difference. I wouldn't advise to trim his fur because reducing the fur length won't really do anything but annoy the cat.

Spookyandsammy

Tilly’s hooman maid
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna show her this info see if this helps