What litter works for your asthmatic cat?

kittyqss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has cat asthma, and was on medicine for some time - inhalers. I don't know why I thought to change litters, but I did, and I ended up using pine pellets. This 100% reduced any symptoms. She literally had no asthma attacks. 3-4 years later and another cat, I actually ended up switching back to clumping litter, but I was god awfully worried about if my cat would get her asthma triggered.

I read that grass litter is a clumping hypoallergenic litter, so I was keen on trying it. She's been on grass litter for awhile now, and I think it's working wonderfully for me and her. I do have some questions though:

1) Are there hypoallergenic litters that just perform straight up better at a lower cost? Lower dust, lower tracking, better smell control, better clumping? tradditional litter is like 10$/20lb, and I pay 30$/20 lb for this grass litter

2) Are there hypoallergenic litters that work with a litter robot? I was looking at maybe getting one, but I read that grass litters don't work well because theyre so light?

3) Are asthmatic cats triggered by the type of material, type of dust or what? I'm not sure if its a dust issue or if its the clay vs pine vs grass material, etc.

I was thinking about getting a litter robot and I was genuinely wondering if there was a litter that was hypoallergenic that works with it and equally might be a little bit more $ friendly. If not, I have no intentions of taking my cats off of it. Clumps well enough, has enough odor control...it's a win, I just want to see if theres better winners!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyqss

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh no, I'm silly. I meant owners that have asthmatic cats, not owners that are asthmatic. Then again, both might yield good info...

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought the title meant asthmatic owners, lol! I’m asthmatic, but don’t have attacks and clumping clay wasn’t a problem in that respect. I now use this product - don’t know if it’s available where you are, but it might be a useful pointer at least. I can’t find any info about whether it’s hypoallergenic, but it doesn’t create any dust worth speaking of, just the individual pellets when my super-kicker Phoebe hurls it around. It dissolves very easily when washing the litter tray, and one 4kg bag lasts my two cats three weeks, which makes up for the rather steep price. It’s also soft on their paws, unlike the pine pellets I tried which they absolutely refused to walk on.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 asthmatic kitties and they both seem to be more triggered by airborne allergens and weather changes. We use a combination of World's Best and Naturally Fresh walnut litter, both unscented. Vacuuming daily or every other day seems to help immensely as well. That goes for both the human and feline asthmatics in my house.