Aspiration Pneumonia Early Signs??

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I am new to the Cat Site but have found the forums useful. I was wondering if anyone has any experience wit aspiration pneumonia and how it develops? For three days around a week ago. i had to give my cat Lactulose for constipation. The vet didnt tell me how to do it, so I squirted directly into her mouth. I now know that isnt the right way. Once she had a congested sounding breathing for about 5 to 10 mins after a dose. But never choking or anything. It has been a week and she has an eye flare up. I am just worried that it is an URI developing from early aspiation pneumonia?? She is otherwise okay, eating lots and pooping normally again, sleeping and cuddling a lot. Should i be worried? Does aspiration pneumonia take long to develop? I just am so concerned that by dosing her incorrectly with Lactulose I might have done serious damage to her health!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I definitely am calling tomorrow when they open, but I am worried because I have a business trip this week and can't keep an eye on the cat. She also is scheduled for a dental cleaning and possible extraction in 10 days, and I don't kow if that is a good idea with her eye flare up. More to ask the vet about. Just wanted to see if anyone knows how long it takes for aspiration pneumonia to set in, just so i can maybe stop worrying so much tonight since it is such a major illness (if it is that at all).

fromthevalley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my experience I noticed signs pretty early. My cat Artemis has a habit of inhaling her food if I don’t smash her food down properly. She had a bit of a nasal discharge, but it was mostly wheezing and coughing.

My vet recommended locking her in the bathroom with a hot bath or with a humidifier (helps clear out the lungs). I also pat her sides to clear out the mucus (this is called coupage).

The link Furballsmom Furballsmom provided is very helpful.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if it is aspiration pneumonia, and this is just my opinion, I'm not a vet (although I do work in health care for humans), it would not present itself with eye discharge, you would notice fast breathing, breathing issues, coughing, fever, nasal discharge, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, a bluish tinge to the skin, lethargy and other stuff I can't think of...but I really can't think of an instance of eye discharge being a first symptom of aspiration pneumonia. I would think it would probably start with more coughing and wheezing than anything else.

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my experience I noticed signs pretty early. My cat Artemis has a habit of inhaling her food if I don’t smash her food down properly. She had a bit of a nasal discharge, but it was mostly wheezing and coughing.

My vet recommended locking her in the bathroom with a hot bath or with a humidifier (helps clear out the lungs). I also pat her sides to clear out the mucus (this is called coupage).

The link Furballsmom Furballsmom provided is very helpful.
I did read that link and watch that video, thanks! I didn't see anything in there about how long it takes for signs of illness to start after kitty might have inhaled something, though. So if illness develops, it should happen before a week has gone by, with your Artemis (great name)? If that is the case, maybe my cat is okay. I am still calli g the vet. She does have some coughing fits from time to time from allergies, but when she had one today, I didn't know what the cause could be. I am definitely being somewhat paranoid, since this is my first cat and I have had her only 2 yrs (was a stray I took in) .

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well if it is aspiration pneumonia, and this is just my opinion, I'm not a vet (although I do work in health care for humans), it would not present itself with eye discharge, you would notice fast breathing, breathing issues, coughing, fever, nasal discharge, rapid breathing, increased heart rate, a bluish tinge to the skin, lethargy and other stuff I can't think of...but I really can't think of an instance of eye discharge being a first symptom of aspiration pneumonia. I would think it would probably start with more coughing and wheezing than anything else.
Thanks! I was afraid the eye discharge is part of some respiratory infection that might be related to some underlying pneumonia situation. I don't see any of the symptoms you listed with my cat right now. She does sleep a ton, but she always does, so that probably doesn't quite count as lethargy, lol.