Aspirating when drinking water

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of you may know I am struggling with Queen Eva's diet.

During this struggle to find foods she will eat that don't trigger her intolerance (diarrhea) she has been eating more kibble than she is used to, and so is wanting to drink. When she drinks, she aspirates, and then coughs and coughs for several minutes.

She seems "fine" afterward, but it is very upsetting to me (and to Tolly) and it can't be good for her.

I am hoping to eventually find enough food variety to get her back to eating an all canned diet, but in the meantime, I wondered if anyone has encountered this problem, and if there might be a solution.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Elevate whatever it is she is drinking from.

And is she congested and having to breath through the mouth or what?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is not congested.

Elevating the water bowl is a good idea, thanks. She's tiny, and the water bowl is large, though. I will have to use a flatter, lower sided water bowl for elevating. Hmmm.......

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

She is not congested.

Elevating the water bowl is a good idea, thanks. She's tiny, and the water bowl is large, though. I will have to use a flatter, lower sided water bowl for elevating. Hmmm.......
It worked! And I didn't have to find a different bowl after all. I saw her start to drink, so I swooped in and put the bowl on Mazy's 'table' (Mazy's dish is elevated on a cardboard box)

Queen Eva went on to drink from the elevated bowl and didn't aspirate! She didn't take a long drink, true, but even a short drink was causing aspiration, so cross your paws that this is the solution!

Now to find a permanent platform for the water bowl so Mazy can have her table back, as the search for canned food without chicken that Queen Eva will eat goes on..

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you type in "raised pet bowls" on Amazon, you'll find more choices for permanent platforms than you can imagine - 483!

Glad you found a solution to the problem. That QE really keeps you on your toes, doesn't she!

Robin

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
These raised water bowls are becoming more popular too. Also, you could try the Platinum Drinkwell Fountain. I purchased one for my cats a couple of months ago and it is a big, big hit. They are all drinking more water, except Pipsqueak (he doesn't seem too interested in the fountain). But most of them drink from the stream which is about head height. Glad the raised bowl has helped Queen Eva

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bastetservant

If you type in "raised pet bowls" on Amazon, you'll find more choices for permanent platforms than you can imagine - 483!

Glad you found a solution to the problem. That QE really keeps you on your toes, doesn't she!

Robin
Yes she does, that is for sure. Yesterday she got stung by a bumble bee. The day before she climbed the screen after a fly and got stuck in the screen, I had to pick her off.

This morning she came tearing across the bed to leap up onto the highboy dresser next to the window, because there was a bird caught under the window (I have those crank out ones), but she skidded on the dresser top and crashed into the wall, bounced off the wall and fell off the dresser, landing on the clothes drying rack.

Originally Posted by Feralvr

These raised water bowls are becoming more popular too. Also, you could try the Platinum Drinkwell Fountain. I purchased one for my cats a couple of months ago and it is a big, big hit. They are all drinking more water, except Pipsqueak (he doesn't seem too interested in the fountain). But most of them drink from the stream which is about head height. Glad the raised bowl has helped Queen Eva
thanks for your reply!

I did buy a fountain last year, but they wouldn't use it. It was the stainless steel teardrop design one. I don't like to use plastic with them, is why I haven't tried any of the others. Jennie gets chin acne with plastic.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

I did buy a fountain last year, but they wouldn't use it. It was the stainless steel teardrop design one. I don't like to use plastic with them, is why I haven't tried any of the others. Jennie gets chin acne with plastic.
Try the Pioneer Big Max, available on Amazon.com cheapest from what I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WesleyBu.../2/OG3jmlWTm2M

It has a higher raised portion, and a moderately raised portion just by virtue of the height of the water level if kept full.

Its 98% ceramic, with just the filter/pump housing and pump itself being plastic. With Amazon.com you can try it risk free as well. Google on how to sign up for a mom account for free 2-day prime shipping, and if you don't like it, you can return it free of charge at least if it has an issue (my first one had a slightly noisy pump so I got a free refund and prepaid return label and just bought a second one).