ASPCA Pet Insurance and Wellness plans

Pouncecat1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used them? Any good/positive success stories about reimbursements?

I found the yelp page that was all negative reviews and the consumer affairs page which was more positive. I'm just wondering if anyone else has used them and had a mostly positive experience?

I read through their plan and thought it looked pretty good. They seem to cover some things other insurers do not. I'm not a fan on waiting to be reimbursed for procedures (which could be months and meanwhile you are out the money).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have 5 policies with ASPCA, illness and accident only, not preventive. I have never had a problem with them and they have paid exactly to the penny according to the policies I have.

With the first cat, Jamie, I was concerned as his vet suggested an ultrasound without a specific diagnosis and I called and asked them about it. They said that if the vet thought it was necessary, they would cover it. They require a copy of the bill and the medical report on the animal, but are efficient in handling claims. Jamie has been though several ultrasounds/echocardiograms and all have been covered to the yearly extent of the policy.

Having said that, many people are happy with Trupanion and other companies, so do your research to see what fits your needs. Once you select a plan, never change it. Asking for a new plan, such as a higher deductible, creates a new policy with exclusions of what was done or diagnosed before. This is very common in the pet insurance industry. All pet insurances are governed by the state insurance board.

I always recommend insurance, from some company, given the cost of vet care. Almost all procedures or surgeries of any note seem to be in the four digit category, often more.

Even if there is a pre existing condition for your cat, it is still worth it for the other issues which will arise in his life.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm with PetSecure. They don't give any issues. When you 'up' your plan, the exclusions are 'to the old plan'.
For example Magnus is expensive and has a congenital heart condition, and knee displacement. We are uping his insurance, so anything for his two mentioned issues are paid out at the basic policy instead of their medium? policy. He's young so if his knees are now fine and stay fine for 1 year it will cease being on the basic policy. Though his murmur is gone, and bloodwork has been normal twice, his heart will stay on the basic policy.

Never had any problems being paid out, though I did have to call to have the explain some things. They are always super helpful.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some employers offer pet insurance to their full time employees. There may or may not be a discount. Some employers just offer it as a perk. You may want to check with the HR / benefits people if you are currently employed

You can look at this to compare different pet insurance companies:

The ASPCA pet insurance is through a company called Crum & Forster Pet Insurance Group, not through the actual ASPCA organization. The ASPCA is not an insurer and is not engaged in the business of insurance. Through a licensing agreement, the ASPCA receives a royalty fee in exchange for the use of their marks, and is not a charitable contribution.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 What country / industry are you in that employers offer pet insurance? It's hella struggle here to find one that even offers benefits ( or provides benefits even if they *say* they offer them)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in the US. Not all employers offer pet insurance as a perk to employees. Big employers across many industries are more likely to offer it than a mom-and-pop small local business with less than 10 employees. I work for a small-ish company (less than 200 employees) and pet insurance is offered as a perk along with the usual benefits like medical, life insurance, tuition reimbursement, short and long term disability, etc. I don't use the pet insurance because neither of my pets qualify due to what are considered "pre-exisiting conditions".