Aslan Poops On Blankets

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pretty much what it sounds like. I came home last night to a weird smell in the apartment. I thought it was the trash so I took it out.

But it was my bed. He pooped and peed on it. He has never peed before--though he has pooped when I've been remiss with his litter box, which he is VERY finicky about. He wants it spotless and with the litter 5 inches high (not 4, not 6). All of his accidents in the past have been when the box was dirty, the liner was coming down (I secure it with duct tape) or he had knocked something into it (my toothbrush) and did not want to go in there after it. I cover my leather sofa with my spare comforter to protect it from his nails but this Monday, he pooped on that too. I got the hint and changed his whole litter box out.

But this time the box was freshly cleaned. I change out the box and clean the entire tiny bathroom we share once a week. I go through a lot of cat litter but this is how he likes it.

He has a top entry litter box for his privacy and my sanity. I have never switched the kind of litter. He never stops eating so it is a busy box.

I slept on the couch last night guys :( Do you have any tips?

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, that really sucks. I've only dealt with my cat peeing on my bed but that was only once, and it was kind of my fault & since then it hasn't happened (thank god). So I'm sorry to say I don't have any expert advice.

If you haven't already, get an enzyme cleaner, baking soda & distilled vinegar to thoroughly clean so that his scent will disappear. Has anything changed in the household (your schedule, any possible stress factors)? It sounds like he has only one box. Since he is so picky, I would suggest getting another one and placing it somewhere else like the living room or maybe the bedroom since that's where he had his accidents.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I initially misread this as Asian poops on blanket and was all WTH, that can't be a breed name??

You may know this already, but beds are a prime spot for accidents with kittens, sick or stressed older cats because cats knead the blankets and to them it seems like they can bury waste there. The enzyme cleaner comment above is certainly correct, but just making the point that a proper cleaning alone may not stop this.

Since 9 months is a little old for this and you aren't reporting stress, illness is a possibility. Keep a close eye out and take to vet if this continues. In the meantime, eliminate access to the bedroom for a bit and certainly stop putting the comforter on the couch. You must do this, because a 4th reason why accidents occur is habit and you don't want one to form. (If you absolutely don't want to eliminate access to the bedroom for a bit, then put the comforter in the closet during the day and make sure any sheets/top sheet are tight.)

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hellenww Hellenww I don't think so, I got a big box that he would not grow out of soon.

It says it's meant for cats up to 20lbs. As for my bathroom being small, it is, but he loves to play in the sink and tub so he does not have bathroom avoidance.

I should mention that my last cat peed all over my mattress when he got sick. I did use an enzyme cleaner several times but..maybe Aslan can still smell it? As far as I can tell, he only goes outside the box when the box is not up to standard..usually. I am really confused as to why he did it last night.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there a chance that he is constipated, and that discomfort is making him avoid the box? Was the poop very dry and/or hard? If so, that may be your answer, and a vet check with diagnosis and treatment should do the trick. So much of the time litter box issues have a physical origin, and are often the first sign that something is amiss inside the pussycat.