Asking for good thoughts

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Feisty is a good trait - it shows that you are a fighter and don't keep things bottled up inside. 👍 One of my aunts was the same way.
Sending special thoughts and healing vibes to your Grammy, you and your family. :vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update in case anyone would like to know...because my mom was the only one who was allowed to be with my Grandmother at the hospital, she's been pretty preoccupied with everything. She would go in first thing in the morning and not come home sometimes 'till late evening. With the shortage of staff, she also took responsibility for feeding and helping my grandmother with other things. The family were a little demanding of her as well, so I didn't bug her for any updates wanting to add to her stress. I figured if something was really important to know she would let me know...so anyway, sorry for the delay in getting you any information.

My Grammy was discharged yesterday afternoon, but we are disappointed that home care had not been set up for her. My mom said that she couldn't live with her to ensure her care, but it's like they didn't listen. So my mom is spending the night with her tonight and thankfully (and a bit scary too) my aunt said she would come up and stay with her for a few days....and I say scary because she's a bit......clueless? is I guess a good word to use.. At least my mom's not far so she can check on her periodically.
She did have a couple days where she was spiking a fever and was not doing well, I think that was at the Tuesday mark., but she has come out of that...no fever anymore and as of yesterday had really perked up and mom said she was more like herself.
When I spoke to my mom, she said that her potassium was said to be back in "the normal range", and she is pooping, but had pretty severe diarrhea...they said it was the medication they were giving her to ensure that she got cleaned out. They stopped it the day before being discharged so things should "firm up" in the next 24 hours or so....hopefully that will help her feel better too.
She is allowed to eat solid foods, and did not say anything about restrictions but we are going to careful about what type of foods she gets anyway. No foods that cause gas, nothing to heavy, etc...at least until we know that things are working well without the medication.
She was given a prescription for Dilaudid, but doesn't want to take them unless absolutely necessary, she said she wants to stick to extra strength tylenol for now. Today may be a different story though as the meds they gave her right before going home yesterday have worn off by now.

Overall, there's not too much to report...which is a good thing I suppose.
We are just peeved with the lack of home care.
And I'm not sure when or if she has to go back for a follow up or not....mom didn't say, and I forgot to ask her...

I'll be making a batch of beef and barley soup for Grammy, as it's one of her favorites, this weekend...I feel bad that there's not much else I can do....

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I’m glad to hear she’s home! I’ve always felt bad for not being able to help with my grandparents. Mom and I are mailing my grandpa word puzzle books because it’s something. Its hard; but I’m sure they understand too. Is covid part of the home care issue? I bet some people are leery of having someone come in. A friend of mine does home care here and I know she’s still busy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that's part of it. There has always been a shortage of home care aids, but covid has made it more so. When I was talking to my Mom about it, she mentioned that she spoke to one of the providers and they said that because the home care was only temporary, my Grandmother didn't qualify. I'm not sure of other home care providers, but from speaking to others who use the services, when covid hit, their "qualified hours" did diminish. I have not heard of any people in need who have refused their home care out of fear though, but I'm sure there have been a few.
And not that we want her to go into a facility, even temporarily at the rehab center, pretty much all nursing homes are refusing new residents.....unless, I assume, if it's a significant emergency.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A friend of mine had a slip and fall accident about 10 years ago that left her unable to walk for a while. She lived alone on a 2nd floor apartment and the only family she had was her dad who lived an hour away. They wanted to discharge her with no home care also. It took some pressuring the hospital to arrange it. I would think it would be more quickly done for an elderly person; but maybe they are pressured to try to get people to use family or just not something that insurance will have to pay for. I’ve seen my own doctors and my old bosses looking perturbed because of insurance companies and their reluctance to pay if they can avoid it. :rolleyes3: