Ashera Cats

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Anyone seen or heard of these? They are part African Cerval, Asian Leopard and regular housecat. They can grow to be 40 lbs and live up to 25 years.

Cost? about 20-28K

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anita1216

Anyone seen or heard of these? They are part African Cerval, Asian Leopard and regular housecat. They can grow to be 40 lbs and live up to 25 years.

Cost? about 20-28K
Actually the "Snow" ones cost $65,000, and the Royal ones cost $125,000...
They are gorgeous cat though...

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

While they might be pretty, they are not a breed, they are nothing more than a designer cat.
In fact there is some dispute as to their true nature, they seem to simply be Savannas.

Caveat emptor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashera
I hear this a lot, but: Isn't this way that a breed start? I mean, they don't just pop up from nothing, and become a breed from the gecko...
IMO, it is a breed, and people who have true passion for it can take it forward, and it might get recognition by TICA and CFA one day. Just like the majority of modern breeds...

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Folks, the Ashera is a scam. A serval will not mate with an ALC.

These are nothing more than Savannahs with ridiculous price tags. The original Savannahs were created using the Serval and Bengal cats. So, yes there is some ALC blood in Savannahs.

However the Ashera is just a big scam, the breed already exisits and it's called a Savannah.

http://ashera-savannah-cat.blogspot.com/

There's much more evidence out there, I just picked a quick link to post here.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting stuff!! I just happened to run across a video of one of these cats and thought I would ask

I was in no way trying to suggest anything. I have no desire to insult good reputable breeders.

Nice to get information from people who have a clue

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

I hear this a lot, but: Isn't this way that a breed start? I mean, they don't just pop up from nothing, and become a breed from the gecko...
IMO, it is a breed, and people who have true passion for it can take it forward, and it might get recognition by TICA and CFA one day. Just like the majority of modern breeds...
TICA already recognizes the Ashera as the Savannah. CFA currently does not recognize any wild hybrids and does not permit them in show halls.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard it was a scam too, but I wasn't sure whether it applies just to those 3 savannah kittens were sold off as ashera that genetic testing was done for...I got the impression that just that particular case was a scam, not all ashera cats.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

TICA already recognizes the Ashera as the Savannah. CFA currently does not recognize any wild hybrids and does not permit them in show halls.
Fastforward to after reading the news posts about the guy "flipping" the Savannahs as Asheras: Got it - they are Savannahs... There are still controversies about Savannas, as a new breed... But that is the topic for a whole other thread

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by abbycats

This link shows no matches
type in ashera cats and you ll get results... lol linked worked once and then well

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Folks, the Ashera is a scam. A serval will not mate with an ALC.

These are nothing more than Savannahs with ridiculous price tags. The original Savannahs were created using the Serval and Bengal cats. So, yes there is some ALC blood in Savannahs.

However the Ashera is just a big scam, the breed already exisits and it's called a Savannah.

http://ashera-savannah-cat.blogspot.com/

There's much more evidence out there, I just picked a quick link to post here.
Completely agree with that, if you are interested in an "Ashera" cat, look for other breeders that breed Savannahs and you will be getting the same thing, the "Ashera" is just a brand name like Nike or Pepsi and is overpriced because you are paying for a brand-name commodity and I think animals are worth more than that. Look for Savannah breeders instead.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ut0pia

I heard it was a scam too, but I wasn't sure whether it applies just to those 3 savannah kittens were sold off as ashera that genetic testing was done for...I got the impression that just that particular case was a scam, not all ashera cats.
Well, the person who sold those 3 kittens as Ashera cats was the person who "created" the "Ashera cat"... As far as I can tell they are also the only cattery (Lifestyle Pets) selling the supposed Ashera cats... This makes a pretty good case for them being a complete scam, not just those three.