As The Temperature Drops...

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 256093 Mighty cold here in Minnesota in winter and the heat is on from October through April. So next to a heat vent is the perfect place for a cold kitty. This is Willows deluxe double decker cat bed that is up against a heat vent. The upper level is for lounging and watching birds and critters out the window. The lower level cave is for snuggling up right next to the vent for a cozy warm snooze
I might build some such for my feral/stray crew.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Stray/Feral Crew

Some background. I’ve had 2 kitties hanging around for a couple years now. The porch was always good shelter. Due to a newcomer over the summer, the porch got too small so there is need for additional lodging.

First thing I had to do was trim the trees. They were overdue.
AF234DB4-2594-407B-B220-91E8D0037C85.jpeg
3ADC0FFF-AB97-421A-9AB3-EA61E85F46AE.jpeg

Now I can begin assembly. The following took about 5 hours.
B9A28661-E80F-4AA4-8ECC-B9EDBE79DFDF.jpeg

79D56AF4-A8C4-4D24-A500-2C1893208774.jpeg

A5738954-EDB7-4963-8B17-9824BFB014E3.jpeg

What is left to do... cover the exposed sides, floor, furnishings. That should be the fun part.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SiameseMummy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Some background. I’ve had 2 kitties hanging around for a couple years now. The porch was always good shelter. Due to a newcomer over the summer, the porch got too small so there is need for additional lodging.

View attachment 256526 View attachment 256527

View attachment 256528
View attachment 256530
View attachment 256529

What is left to do... cover the exposed sides, floor, furnishings. That should be the fun part.
Well, you make me feel I don't do nearly enough! All I do is put the fire on!

I'm sure your feral crew will enjoy their new digs :thumbsup:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine just kind of pile up here and there. The tableau changes throughout the day, but they never seem to be shivering. They like it between 76º and 78º so it's always in that range anyway.

View attachment 254407
Look, I'm almost a month late @1CatOverTheLine but the others are resting so sweet and happy and that Snowshoe of yours is giving you the "Come to me, servant, and do my bidding" look.
I wish I wasn't such an idiot and could easily take photos and share them.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet Reese isn't taking to the cold very well at all. I can't blame her, this is her first winter. She might also be feeding on my pity and getting spoiled for it...
so far she's loved being bundled up in a sock outfit:

being given a heated blanket:

snuggling with her best friend:

and smothering me for my warm breath.
Give this darling cat a haircut into a plushy coat and you've got my Baby Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sabian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

View attachment 256526 View attachment 256527

View attachment 256528
View attachment 256530
View attachment 256529

I've been thinking of doing something like that for Manny. Are those things pretty well made? And, if I may ask the cost and place of purchase. Great thing your doing for the feral! I'm sure they'll really like it but, that poor tree looks like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree now!:lol:

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been thinking of doing something like that for Manny. Are those things pretty well made? And, if I may ask the cost and place of purchase. Great thing your doing for the feral! I'm sure they'll really like it but, that poor tree looks like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree now!:lol:
I’m on my phone right now so I’m lame with links, but if you google -Lucky dog 6 x 10 x 10 kennel- you will get some ideas. I got mine from Tractor Supply. It seems pretty stout, but there is always a point at which the wind wins. Fortunately all of our high wind events, while rare, have been forecast so I can prepare.

That, and a trimmed tree is a happy tree. :cool2:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I get cold easily so in the future my heater will be way up. In Houston the weather has started to slowly drop down. Maybe 90 today. Too early to tell. Last year we had snow which is extremely rare. I was told this winter will be even colder. So glad I rescued Coco a year ago.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Stray/Feral Crew Shelter

I did some work today. I added cover to the exposed sides, and I added some floor. Some water is bound to splash on the concrete when it rains, so the floor will add some dry area. It will also insulate on the cold mornings when the concrete turns into a big ice cube.

side.JPG

floor.JPG

I have ordered some furnishings, and a rain gutter will be added to the right hand side.

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I did some work today. I added cover to the exposed sides...
Just in time for a nice test. We had showers and thundershowers for a couple hours this evening with more possible. Shelter performed pretty much as expected. A small band of wet around the exposed edges, but everything pretty much dry so far. :dunno:

thefiresidecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Cat nuts roasting by an open fire...

you can't see it in this photo but this is also right next to the fire place in our old house. we don't have a working fire place now. they just have to huddle together for warmth. we usually keep it between 68 and 70 in the winter. sometimes the heater gets switched off by accident or we leave some windows open and it might get colder. if it's one degree colder than normal an ice age has hit. lol. (and if the white one, tibby, looks smaller than normal in this pics IIRC he was about 10 months old here.)

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just in time for a nice test. We had showers and thundershowers for a couple hours this evening with more possible. Shelter performed pretty much as expected. A small band of wet around the exposed edges, but everything pretty much dry so far. :dunno:

We're getting a good wind check today. Getting gusts in the 40-50 mph range. So far so good. :dunno:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
kittypa kittypa Awesome shelter. I am not sure if you plan to cover those mats or leave them exposed. The house I live in is all wood floors so I bought some of those foam mats like you have in the last photo. My cats decimated them and I had some mats near their food bowls. I was worried some pieces of foam would end up in their food so I threw them all out. I hope you have better luck with them. Felt I should share my experience so you can keep an eye on them as I am sure like myself you don't needlessly want a trip to the vet.

Have a great day kittypa, all the best to you and the kitties:)

Last edited:

kittypa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
kittypa kittypa Awesome shelter. I am not sure if you plan to cover those mats or leave them exposed. The house I live in is all wood floors so I bought some of those foam mats like you have in the last photo. My cats decimated them and I had some mats near their food bowls. I was worried some of pieces of foam would end up in their food so I threw them all out. I hope you have better luck with them. Felt I should share my experience so you can keep an eye on them as I am sure like myself you don't needlessly want a trip to the vet.

Have a great day kittypa, all the best to you and the kitties:)
Thank you. I was going to put some of those down at the places where I feed them because of the cold concrete, but maybe I’ll look for something a little more stout.