Artifical grass in catio

Blueberries33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone, I currently have pebbles in my catio out back but I was considering removing them and putting artifical grass down instead, its trimmed tightly but would this encourage them to use the grass instead of the litter trays in cage?

I have large pots with fresh grass growing in for them which they love and have never done there business in the pots so maybe it would be okay?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't another question whether they would bite at it and manage to eat some? Some cats like chomping plastic stuff after all. I mean, probably fine, but maybe you would want to do a test before a big investment.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would definitely ask about getting a sample swatch so you can see if they are going to bite at it. Since cats instinctively want to bury their waste, so long as there is a place to do that, I doubt (but wouldn't bet my next check on it) that they would use it as a potty.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered giving them sand instead of grass? Cats love to roll around in sand. Plus they live to do their business in it. Jackie used a section of the compressed granite/dirt as a place to pee. It was dug up when I got here so I think at least one other dog marks there. 🙄