Artie.....part 1

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie will always be nearby. Your love will keep you connected for eternity. "death cannot take that which never dies".
Time will help, not to ever get over losing Artie, but to learn how to exist without him. One day, I promise, you will feel what he is trying to tell you, to find joy once more in living, to maybe foster those sweet little ones because they need someone like you with a big heart. Who was taught to love and was left a beautiful legacy.
His play balls are there trying to remind you to find simple pleasures again, that he is there and he will help you. Distract your grieving heart and allow the healing to take place.
I know at first I felt guilty for being alive when my precious one was not, for laughing, for finding pleasure in anything. But they loved life and us so much they only want the best for our lives now. Just as we would want for them if we were the first to go, not to be sad for the rest of our lives.
Look at those little ones you are seeing that are so deeply affected by losing their families and all they are familiar with, you want to help, to make them feel love and happiness once more, to make life worth living. Why? They are grieving right now the same as you. You know how they feel, you want to help. AND YOU CAN. You can help each other heal........and Artie will help.....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie will always be nearby. Your love will keep you connected for eternity. "death cannot take that which never dies".
Time will help, not to ever get over losing Artie, but to learn how to exist without him. One day, I promise, you will feel what he is trying to tell you, to find joy once more in living, to maybe foster those sweet little ones because they need someone like you with a big heart. Who was taught to love and was left a beautiful legacy.
His play balls are there trying to remind you to find simple pleasures again, that he is there and he will help you. Distract your grieving heart and allow the healing to take place.
I know at first I felt guilty for being alive when my precious one was not, for laughing, for finding pleasure in anything. But they loved life and us so much they only want the best for our lives now. Just as we would want for them if we were the first to go, not to be sad for the rest of our lives.
Look at those little ones you are seeing that are so deeply affected by losing their families and all they are familiar with, you want to help, to make them feel love and happiness once more, to make life worth living. Why? They are grieving right now the same as you. You know how they feel, you want to help. AND YOU CAN. You can help each other heal........and Artie will help.....
*EXCELLENT post and wonderful thoughts, di and bob di and bob ! THANK YOU. Working every day on behalf of abandoned cats and kittens who so sorely need the unconditional loyalty and love they give so freely returned to them, I certainly agree. :goldstar::thanks: And I KNOW without any doubt that our beloveds who are up there watching WANT us to share the love we gave them with other deserving cats and kittens who are just like they were when they were waiting...for US.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at the rescue/PetSmart yesterday for 4 hours. There is one cat, Lars, 1-2yrs old, found a kindly neighbor who was feeding him. He is a cream colored version of Artie. Complete with the talking. And a lot larger..

Because of his age, he is into everything, climbing, jumping, etc.. He does not know the meaning of the word, NO or DOWN...

Lars was the star attraction. I had to keep taking him in and out of his cage. He kept coming over to me.. he is a love bug; and getting love from everyone.. and is so easy going.

As soon as I got in, I opened his cage, he ran out. I immediately picked him up, and gave him a kiss... He could not have been a stray for very long.. He had to have some love at some point.

He was so accustomed to being out that he did not want to go in!! and got a bit feisty, scratching the replacement volunteer.

I would take him home, but he is a bit rambunctious.. I can absolutely see him: knocking down my TV, lamps, stereo, pictures of Artie...

Plus, his recent vet report mentioned a Grade 3-4 heart murmur.. That is how Artie started..

He allowed me to look at his teeth-- he has some redness along the gumline, not one to 2 teeth, seems all of them... so that means he needs a dental-- at his young ate! I am concerned about the beginning of FORLS..

He will go to a good home. He will not be in PetSmart for very long; in fact, I do not expect him to be there on Sunday. I had 3 applications for him, and 2 PetSmart customers HAD to see him.

I now have a permanent volunteer shift: every other Sunday Afternoon: cleaning, feeding, for 2 hours or so....

I reward myself with an Ice Cream after the shift.

Artie will find me someone.. My Dad helped me find Artie... so..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was at the rescue/PetSmart yesterday for 4 hours. There is one cat, Lars, 1-2yrs old, found a kindly neighbor who was feeding him. He is a cream colored version of Artie. Complete with the talking. And a lot larger..

Because of his age, he is into everything, climbing, jumping, etc.. He does not know the meaning of the word, NO or DOWN...

Lars was the star attraction. I had to keep taking him in and out of his cage. He kept coming over to me.. he is a love bug; and getting love from everyone.. and is so easy going.

As soon as I got in, I opened his cage, he ran out. I immediately picked him up, and gave him a kiss... He could not have been a stray for very long.. He had to have some love at some point.

He was so accustomed to being out that he did not want to go in!! and got a bit feisty, scratching the replacement volunteer.

I would take him home, but he is a bit rambunctious.. I can absolutely see him: knocking down my TV, lamps, stereo, pictures of Artie...

Plus, his recent vet report mentioned a Grade 3-4 heart murmur.. That is how Artie started..

He allowed me to look at his teeth-- he has some redness along the gumline, not one to 2 teeth, seems all of them... so that means he needs a dental-- at his young ate! I am concerned about the beginning of FORLS..

He will go to a good home. He will not be in PetSmart for very long; in fact, I do not expect him to be there on Sunday. I had 3 applications for him, and 2 PetSmart customers HAD to see him.

I now have a permanent volunteer shift: every other Sunday Afternoon: cleaning, feeding, for 2 hours or so....

Oh, absolutely, Artie WILL guide you to the right one. As your dad helped you find Artie, and my beloved angel Simba told me to take Rani home. You will know.
As for Lars, he sounds like a charmer and perfect for the right person, too! May he find his loving permanent home very soon.
Older cats are WONDERFUL, and so many wait longer times than kittens and young cats for their loving forever homes. They tend to be more developed in their personalities and less apt to get into things all the time. My three are all technically "mature" and I wouldn't trade them for the world! Each cat is an individual, and a treasure -- I'm sure you agree. When the time is right, you will find the one you're meant to love always.:winkcat:

Last edited:

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

:hugs: :hearthrob: :redheartpump:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking I want a cat who is almost out of the kitten stage... a bit older, but not a senior.. Artie was 8 years old when I adopted him. I was looking for around 5 years old, but, I just 'got into him"....

This time, If I can, I think I would like someone 3-5 yrs old.. kind of trained, personality is out, and are a bit calmer...

I really cannot do a senior, with all the medical issues.. I do not think my heart can handle that, again... definitely not my budget...

I feel really bad for the seniors.. but.. I really cannot afford their care.. I do have the contacts for great care; however, even if a foster, I would have to go to the humane society's vets-- not mine... so.........

I may not agree with; or trust the Vet they have... sorry... have been through so much with my Angel baby...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking I want a cat who is almost out of the kitten stage... a bit older, but not a senior.. Artie was 8 years old when I adopted him. I was looking for around 5 years old, but, I just 'got into him"....

This time, If I can, I think I would like someone 3-5 yrs old.. kind of trained, personality is out, and are a bit calmer...

I really cannot do a senior, with all the medical issues.. I do not think my heart can handle that, again... definitely not my budget...

I feel really bad for the seniors.. but.. I really cannot afford their care.. I do have the contacts for great care; however, even if a foster, I would have to go to the humane society's vets-- not mine... so.........

I may not agree with; or trust the Vet they have... sorry... have been through so much with my Angel baby...
Oh, gosh, Cindy, you certainly should not be sorry! No need to apologize! Besides, a 3-5 year old is an adult and even at that age, they often wait longer to be adopted than kittens. I called a rescuer/adopter friend to help with some of our community kittens and she said even the 4-months-old kittens were "too big" and "too old" at that time! During kitten season especially, this is par for the course. Although I hesitate to jump on the bandwagon of people spouting these cliches, because cats, and their adopters, are absolutely individuals. In my work advocating for cats, I often find that very much older cats, special needs cats, sick cats, and black cats get adopted MORE often than those others claim are the most adoptable. Which I'm VERY glad of! My latest adoptions were at 9 and 14. I didn't plan it that way -- it just worked out that way. I don't think I've ever gone looking for any specific age, color, gender, or any other criteria when adopting, except need. A cat is in need? I have a place in my home and in my heart? Come on in!
Actually, you are being much more caring than someone who impulse-adopts but cannot care for the cat they adopt. I often deal with returns. You are someone who would think everything out and when you adopt, you adopt for life. That's the BEST kind of adopter. You deserve praise! :goldstar:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, gosh, Cindy, you certainly should not be sorry! No need to apologize! Besides, a 3-5 year old is an adult and even at that age, they often wait longer to be adopted than kittens. I called a rescuer/adopter friend to help with some of our community kittens and she said even the 4-months-old kittens were "too big" and "too old" at that time! During kitten season especially, this is par for the course. Although I hesitate to jump on the bandwagon of people spouting these cliches, because cats, and their adopters, are absolutely individuals. In my work advocating for cats, I often find that very much older cats, special needs cats, sick cats, and black cats get adopted MORE often than those others claim are the most adoptable. Which I'm VERY glad of! My latest adoptions were at 9 and 14. I didn't plan it that way -- it just worked out that way. I don't think I've ever gone looking for any specific age, color, gender, or any other criteria when adopting, except need. A cat is in need? I have a place in my home and in my heart? Come on in!
Actually, you are being much more caring than someone who impulse-adopts but cannot care for the cat they adopt. I often deal with returns. You are someone who would think everything out and when you adopt, you adopt for life. That's the BEST kind of adopter. You deserve praise! :goldstar:
:clap::salam::yeah::clap2::hearthrob:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise

:hearthrob: :redheartpump: Sweetie, you are preaching to the choir. We of Arties Army know darn good and well that if you could you would take each and every needy kitty you come across. You went through so much the last few years that you deserve a break with a purr partner you can relax and not fret so much with. So stop making yourself feel guilty but keep explaining if you need to, just realize that it is only for yourself. We all know what you and Artie :rbheart: went through and are not judging you at all. :hugs: :touched:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all said above! When I advertise for a home for a stray, saying someone abandoned them and they are so scared definitely tugs at the heartstrings of those who may want to open their hearts. I found a wonderful home for a little girl who showed up, with an elderly couple who had just lost their 16 year old. When we checked up on her they said she was doing very well, had taken over the house and the bed. They said her only bad habit was jumping up on the counters. We had to laugh at that one when we hung up, my husband fed her on the counter at the house we were remodeling! :hide:

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all said above! When I advertise for a home for a stray, saying someone abandoned them and they are so scared definitely tugs at the heartstrings of those who may want to open their hearts. I found a wonderful home for a little girl who showed up, with an elderly couple who had just lost their 16 year old. When we checked up on her they said she was doing very well, had taken over the house and the bed. They said her only bad habit was jumping up on the counters. We had to laugh at that one when we hung up, my husband fed her on the counter at the house we were remodeling! :hide:
:doh: :paperbag:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's interesting. I found Katy through a ASPCA shelter, not the Humane Society and I have been using my regular vet, not one from the society. I guess it's just a difference between the 2 types of shelters. I agree with you, I would not want a kitten either, too rambunctious. I work full time, so I was not looking for a kitten in the first place. Katy was 2.5 years old when we found each other. Young enough to have the lively spirit still in her, but I know when I come home from work, my house will be just the way I left it, in one piece, and still neat!!

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Cindy , just wanted you to know that both you and Artie are in my heart always.
I think of you often and Artie as well.
You will know the time is right for another kitty when you meet him or her. You will just know! There will be no hesitation at all.
Yes , Artie is sure to help guide you when he feels the time is right.
As a member of Arties's Army , all my love always , to both you and sweet Artie!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always advocated for a grieving person to get another little one. it distracts us from the grief because we are forced to care and provide for them. The loving comes later.... sometimes the cat we choose or who chooses us, is the complete opposite of our soulmates, and that is fine. There will never be a duplicate of our dearly departed,because there can't be, but our departed can guide us to the choice, and who knows, may be a part of that little one's soul and wants to be near us again.
I don't know how many times I have said I won't get another cat, or love one again, I don't want to get hurt. And again and again it happens. Because our hearts and souls are capable of holding many loves, each one unique and precious. They add on, and build up the loves already there. Growing and evolving, blooming and spreading, bringing us new joy and happiness and a will once again to be alive, not hiding under the darkness of grief.
We miss having a furry companion in our lives, it makes our lives complete. I resented my little ones at first, after all they were alive and my soulmate was not. But THEY never gave up, they loved me anyway and helped me back to living. You'll find a new love in your life will help you more than you will ever know, not right away, but in time, one day at a time......

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always advocated for a grieving person to get another little one. it distracts us from the grief because we are forced to care and provide for them. The loving comes later.... sometimes the cat we choose or who chooses us, is the complete opposite of our soulmates, and that is fine. There will never be a duplicate of our dearly departed,because there can't be, but our departed can guide us to the choice, and who knows, may be a part of that little one's soul and wants to be near us again.
I don't know how many times I have said I won't get another cat, or love one again, I don't want to get hurt. And again and again it happens. Because our hearts and souls are capable of holding many loves, each one unique and precious. They add on, and build up the loves already there. Growing and evolving, blooming and spreading, bringing us new joy and happiness and a will once again to be alive, not hiding under the darkness of grief.
We miss having a furry companion in our lives, it makes our lives complete. I resented my little ones at first, after all they were alive and my soulmate was not. But THEY never gave up, they loved me anyway and helped me back to living. You'll find a new love in your life will help you more than you will ever know, not right away, but in time, one day at a time......
I have to thank you for this wonderful post, di and bob di and bob . Not only do I agree with your words and thoughts, I also know that, in this world where so many deserving, loving, wonderful cats and kittens yearn for loving permanent homes, all of us who care about cats really can make such a difference by adopting again, not only for us, but for those who become beloved family members! When I lost my beloved Simba angel, I was in no way looking to adopt again, but she told me in no uncertain terms, in my soul, that the tiny tuxedo kitten our vet tech had found was to be taken home and loved as I had loved Simba. Of course, I could not ignore this message. Rani was a very wild, remote little kitten, and I didn't know if we would ever bond. Once we did, it was a bond very much like Simba's and mine, and it is eternal. Rani angel left us two years ago and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of her with great, great love, as I do Simba, and so many other beloveds. Elvis came into our lives after our loss of Rani, Sahra, and Maryam angels -- all leaving us in the space of 3 months -- and he needed us, but we may have needed him more! and still do.

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie's mom

I have been away for a while and just logged on and your thread was the first one I jumped to, to see how the sweet boy was doing. What I read gutted me, I am heartbroken with tear streaming as I write this. As a member of Artie's army I want to thank you for sharing your sweet boy with us we fell in love that they sweet sassy boy. He is loved my many and will be missed. RIP beautiful Artie you will not be forgotten

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dear Cindy
I am only just seeing this, I haven't been to TCS in quite a while. I feel your loss. I know how much Artie meant to you, in many ways he was the glue for so many of us on TCS. Loss and grief is so complex, and it is a process. I am thinking of you.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Just checking in to say hi, Cindy, and hope you're getting through this time okay with the important work you are doing. I know Artie is watching over you proudly. artiemom artiemom
I am ok... had a humane society meting last night... Saturday morning, I am taking a 12-2 pm shift at PetSmart, adoption area-- the Human Society... just talking to people, and playing with cats...

This was a bad week: mom's anniversary on Sunday, Artie's 2 month anniversary on Monday, and my parents wedding anniversary on Friday..

Next week is a yearly physical with PCP.. still miss Artie... but, I am not in a rush to adopt.. It will happen.. Trying to keep myself busy, but I am finding that I am getting lazier and appetite has increased... slowly regaining the weight I lost, from stress.. that is not good.... sigh...

But, doing ok... thank you for thinking of me.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am ok... had a humane society meting last night... Saturday morning, I am taking a 12-2 pm shift at PetSmart, adoption area-- the Human Society... just talking to people, and playing with cats...

This was a bad week: mom's anniversary on Sunday, Artie's 2 month anniversary on Monday, and my parents wedding anniversary on Friday..

Next week is a yearly physical with PCP.. still miss Artie... but, I am not in a rush to adopt.. It will happen.. Trying to keep myself busy, but I am finding that I am getting lazier and appetite has increased... slowly regaining the weight I lost, from stress.. that is not good.... sigh...

But, doing ok... thank you for thinking of me.
We're all thinking of you, I'm sure, Cindy. It's good to know you're basically doing okay, though I can certainly relate to the anniversaries -- I have SO many I've stopped even marking most of them. Can't believe it'll be 2 months that Artie angel has been watching over you. The time goes by, but it seems to stop right there when someone leaves, at least that's my feeling. My dad left 10 years ago on the 15th and it'll be 16 years! for my mom at the end of August. It's like life stops on some levels, but yes, we go on, and there is still love and joy, but things have changed.
So good that you're doing that important work at PetSmart. There's nothing more important IMHO than helping to save these precious lives!:yess: