Artie.....part 1

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie... Part I

How do I begin this? Where do I start... do I dare, even start?? do I dare?
How can I put down in such simple words; Artie's Being? His love?? His personality... such a personality....

As I begin writing this, it is almost 3 weeks since I last hugged him... May 23, 2018.. My last kiss to him was at that time.. I am still so upset... and will be... It is the grieving process.. I could lie and say, I am ok.. but that would be a lie.. I miss him terribly.. the apartment is just so huge, cold, empty,-- devoid of life....

Artie has saved me so many times...

I am hoping that @Anne and all the moderators will indulge me-- to break up Artie story in Parts.... I would appreciate this last indulgence...

But I digress;
Artie came to me in March of 2012. It was love at first sight for me...and I swear, a match made in heaven..

I had lost my dad, in early January of that year; being an only child, and my dad's caregiver, meant there was a huge hole in my heart. We had a cat 30 years before, when I lived at home, but now, I really wanted one. I even discussed it with my dad, who encouraged me, but wanted me to wait until after he was gone, because he was afraid of tripping over the cat.

This is where the Heaven's Match comes in:
I called the local Humane society on Saturday. Got a phone call that night. This was when they had a phone number and semi-private adoptions from foster homes. I told them my situation.
The woman said she had the perfect cat for me. I wanted a cat around 5 years old... no older.. I did not want an elderly cat, nor a sickly cat, as I had just taken care of my dad, and my last cat was a diabetic with twice daily insulin shots. I felt I needed a break...

Sunday Morning at 11AM, I was at the foster's apartment--- a madhouse of kids, animals..
She said she had the perfect cat for me... I heard Artie's Story. Artie was kept in the CELLAR!! OMG.. I was appalled! As I discovered later, Artie was in the cellar with several other cats; one of whom had begun to have seizures, that very morning of my visit... My poor boy....

Here is the Heaven's Story:
Artie was owned by an elderly couple. The Husband passed away in November.. the wife passed away in December. One adult daughter tried to sneak Artie into her apartment. I say 'sneak' because she already had a cat and a dog.

This worked for a couple months, then the landlord found out. She was told she had to get rid of one of the pets. Artie was the youngest, so he had to go. The daughter was so upset. When she came to the foster's, she brought a crocheted blanket, a litter box, a scoop and a bunch of food for Artie. She made the foster mom, promise that Artie would go to a good home....

Ok--- after I heard this, I got the heebie-jeebies... My dad died Jan 3... this was weird...
When the foster mom took Artie upstairs, it got even weirder: Artie was orange and white... my last cat was orange and white... I was getting goose bumps.... It seemed as if there was a 'heavenly' connection to Artie and me....and a plot to get us together.. forever....

I was a sucker for the story, and the connections...
The only thing was, Artie was older than I wanted... He was 8 years old, instead of the 5 years old, which I wanted.... but when I saw him, I melted....

He could care less about me...

I saw Artie at 11:10AM, at 11:30, I agreed to adopt him... ran to PetSmart for supplies... At 3pm, I was signing the papers for him... Artie was in his "Home" at 3:20pm--that same day....

I showed him where everything was: litter box, food, water... and then I had plans to go over my cousin's for supper. I left him alone, with free reign to my apartment.

I came home around 7pm.. could not find him.. but I knew he was still here.. nothing was askew.. Artie had nibbled a bit of food.. so I knew he was ok.

That night, as I was lying down, on the couch; covered with a quilt, watching TV, Artie came out of my dad's bedroom. He was hiding in there. He slowly made his way around, jumped on the coffee table, then slowly walked on top of me, where he proceeded to begin purring and kneading...

I was so afraid to move... I kept so still.. barely breathing, least I spook him away.... but no...
Very slowly, I placed my hand on his body... and Artie stayed still.. He stayed with me, until it was time for me to go to bed... until it was time that I HAD to go to bed.. I was in heaven..
Honestly, this was the best thing which had happened to me, in a very long time... I felt love..

YES!! The very first night he was home!! He wanted love, He needed love.. Artie knew that I needed love also... It was a match made in Heaven.... He knew he was HOME... and I knew that also....

Artie never left me.... he was always with me... this was the beginning of my "love"....and our bond.... The very first night... amazing..

I will type out more, when I am feeling a bit stronger... right now, tears are streaming...
Thank you for your indulgences

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The two of you were made for each other. Your dad and your RB baby had a hand in guiding you to each other. No doubt about that. Seeing the two of you share such a wonderful, loving friendship made them very happy. They are now looking after that darling boy for you and all of them are watching over you with so much love. No one ever could have been a better friend, mom or caretaker to that little sweetheart than you. Keep going when you are ready. We'll be here and we're with you every step of the way. :hugs:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Beloved Artie, dream you sweet and deep. You walk in SomeOne's heart forever, but also in the hearts of so many, many people here. Forever, Dear Furred Friend, forever.

Maybe I can write more later. For now, hugs, My Heart Sister. Hugs.
I think that when Artie got to the bridge he finally realized "WOW! So many people really DO love me! Mom was right!" Yes darling. We do and we always will. We also love your mom and we will keep an eye on her for you. :hugs: :rbheart:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It was definitely fate, Artie was meant for you and visa versa. A true match made in heaven. :cloud9: You were more than Artie's mom, you were his savior, his best friend and for this he was everlastingly grateful. His memories will surround you now and remain in your heart forever. :redheartpump:

Last edited:

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with all the above.

You and Sweet Artie were meant to live together, trust each other and love each other unconditionally. Even though the time was shorter than hoped, the memories will last a lifetime.

They certainly take a piece of us when they leave.

I know for me, Artie became a piece of me and I'm sure for many others here at TCS. I've been in shock since I read of his passing a few weeks ago. Honestly, I wasn't sure how to respond and figured I'd wait for you to post.

My heart breaks for you Cin. I remember all too well with Simon and Chestnut the ache and void it left. I relate all to well to the empty apartment feeling. After you catch a breath (however long that takes) I hope you are able to open your heart and home to another.

I know for me, adopting my two senior girls has been the best medicine. Even my husband has more pep in his step. My only regret is that I didn't adopt them sooner.

Artie was a handsome sweet soul, an old soul, a true gentleman. From how you described him, he seemed to just go with the flow, and knew everything you did to him was for his own good.

And you Cindy. Wow! The love, patience and drive to care for Artie's every need this past year has been inspiring. Your efforts kept Artie alive were beyond commendable. You deserve to give yourself a break knowing you DID everything possible. Please don't beat yourself up. You did all you could and more.

I look forward to hearing about Artie and his life's story.

I'd love to see any pictures you have of Artie.

:angel:We will remember you well Sweet Artie:rbheart:. Simon will show you around:angel:

Be well my friend. Warmest regards, Hope

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your tribute is a story from the soul. Precious Artie brought you so much, gave so much, you are so blessed to have known and loved that little boy. You saved him and he returned the favor. He didn't want to go, he had to.
His presence is but a fleeting moment in time, but what he gave you will go on for eternity. Telling his story is a bittersweet tribute to a sweet little boy that will be forever loved and missed. I await the next chapter in this beautiful story of love.....

les26

Sylvester's daddy
Top Cat
Purraise
He was truly sent from Heaven's Angels and now he has rejoined them even though you didn't want to let him go, he is fine now just fine it is you who is hurting and understandably so, but with time things will get better and I think he will send you another little Angel to take care of when the time is right.

"Their last breath on Earth is their first breath in Heaven" :rbheart:

I hope your heart heals a bit more each day, this truly is a love story. God Bless.....:alright: :grouphug2: :rbheart:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best thing about Artie was his stories. I looked forward to them every morning. If you think of any Artie stories that you haven't shared with us yet, I would love to hear them from time to time on this thread. I'll never forget our little man, he was the best. :redheartpump:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful start to the story, Cindy -- I've been checking here every few days and it is fitting that it's CATurday morning. Other posters have already expressed so many of my thoughts and feelings, and it's something beyond words, as those of us who have these bonds know so well. May you always know that Artie is watching over you, along with your other loved ones! and that you will all be together in due time, never to part again.
There is a little book called FOR EVERY CAT AN ANGEL by Christine Davis (C2001, Lighthearted Press, Portland, OR; ISBN 0-9659225-1-0 that I got a few years ago that has inspired me and helped me through many farewells. It is illustrated by the author and the cover picture is not of Artie, but it certainly could be. The story would resonate with you, too, I think. It's a magical little book.

Artie's Army looks forward to the next chapters of the story. You and he are in my Prayers daily. :vibes::heartshape::redcat:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie... Part I

How do I begin this? Where do I start... do I dare, even start?? do I dare?
How can I put down in such simple words; Artie's Being? His love?? His personality... such a personality....

As I begin writing this, it is almost 3 weeks since I last hugged him... May 23, 2018.. My last kiss to him was at that time.. I am still so upset... and will be... It is the grieving process.. I could lie and say, I am ok.. but that would be a lie.. I miss him terribly.. the apartment is just so huge, cold, empty,-- devoid of life....

Artie has saved me so many times...

I am hoping that @Anne and all the moderators will indulge me-- to break up Artie story in Parts.... I would appreciate this last indulgence...

But I digress;
Artie came to me in March of 2012. It was love at first sight for me...and I swear, a match made in heaven..

I had lost my dad, in early January of that year; being an only child, and my dad's caregiver, meant there was a huge hole in my heart. We had a cat 30 years before, when I lived at home, but now, I really wanted one. I even discussed it with my dad, who encouraged me, but wanted me to wait until after he was gone, because he was afraid of tripping over the cat.

This is where the Heaven's Match comes in:
I called the local Humane society on Saturday. Got a phone call that night. This was when they had a phone number and semi-private adoptions from foster homes. I told them my situation.
The woman said she had the perfect cat for me. I wanted a cat around 5 years old... no older.. I did not want an elderly cat, nor a sickly cat, as I had just taken care of my dad, and my last cat was a diabetic with twice daily insulin shots. I felt I needed a break...

Sunday Morning at 11AM, I was at the foster's apartment--- a madhouse of kids, animals..
She said she had the perfect cat for me... I heard Artie's Story. Artie was kept in the CELLAR!! OMG.. I was appalled! As I discovered later, Artie was in the cellar with several other cats; one of whom had begun to have seizures, that very morning of my visit... My poor boy....

Here is the Heaven's Story:
Artie was owned by an elderly couple. The Husband passed away in November.. the wife passed away in December. One adult daughter tried to sneak Artie into her apartment. I say 'sneak' because she already had a cat and a dog.

This worked for a couple months, then the landlord found out. She was told she had to get rid of one of the pets. Artie was the youngest, so he had to go. The daughter was so upset. When she came to the foster's, she brought a crocheted blanket, a litter box, a scoop and a bunch of food for Artie. She made the foster mom, promise that Artie would go to a good home....

Ok--- after I heard this, I got the heebie-jeebies... My dad died Jan 3... this was weird...
When the foster mom took Artie upstairs, it got even weirder: Artie was orange and white... my last cat was orange and white... I was getting goose bumps.... It seemed as if there was a 'heavenly' connection to Artie and me....and a plot to get us together.. forever....

I was a sucker for the story, and the connections...
The only thing was, Artie was older than I wanted... He was 8 years old, instead of the 5 years old, which I wanted.... but when I saw him, I melted....

He could care less about me...

I saw Artie at 11:10AM, at 11:30, I agreed to adopt him... ran to PetSmart for supplies... At 3pm, I was signing the papers for him... Artie was in his "Home" at 3:20pm--that same day....

I showed him where everything was: litter box, food, water... and then I had plans to go over my cousin's for supper. I left him alone, with free reign to my apartment.

I came home around 7pm.. could not find him.. but I knew he was still here.. nothing was askew.. Artie had nibbled a bit of food.. so I knew he was ok.

That night, as I was lying down, on the couch; covered with a quilt, watching TV, Artie came out of my dad's bedroom. He was hiding in there. He slowly made his way around, jumped on the coffee table, then slowly walked on top of me, where he proceeded to begin purring and kneading...

I was so afraid to move... I kept so still.. barely breathing, least I spook him away.... but no...
Very slowly, I placed my hand on his body... and Artie stayed still.. He stayed with me, until it was time for me to go to bed... until it was time that I HAD to go to bed.. I was in heaven..
Honestly, this was the best thing which had happened to me, in a very long time... I felt love..

YES!! The very first night he was home!! He wanted love, He needed love.. Artie knew that I needed love also... It was a match made in Heaven.... He knew he was HOME... and I knew that also....

Artie never left me.... he was always with me... this was the beginning of my "love"....and our bond.... The very first night... amazing..

I will type out more, when I am feeling a bit stronger... right now, tears are streaming...
Thank you for your indulgences
I know these days cannot be easy for you, Cindy, but just wanted you to know that I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking of you daily and keeping you in my Prayers daily. *and beloved Artie angel, too*

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know these days cannot be easy for you, Cindy, but just wanted you to know that I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking of you daily and keeping you in my Prayers daily. *and beloved Artie angel, too*
Correct! I am also thinking of you! Prayers going out from me too! You made a connection with me from the first post I read. You are an inspiration to me in my daily rescue work with kitties. Both sick and well. On days when I am exhausted and wonder where I will find the energy to keep up the struggle, I am reminded of your strength. You are helping me so I want you to know that. Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, thank you so much... it has been rough.. I promise I will write more.. hopefully soon...

I miss Artie so much.. It just seems that the more I think or write about him, the more I tear up...

I was finally, out of the blue, got my printer working. I finally have several pictures of him around here.. I talk to them daily.. I pat them at least twice a day... good morning, and good night, and sometimes during the day...

I saved a ton of his fur.. I have some on top of his 'box'.. I periodically got over, touch it.. thinking about how soft his fur was, and how good he was...

The other day, something really strange happened.

I have been cleaning diligently around here.. There really is not much evidence of him around.. the stray litter and fur are all gone.. things washed and put away..

The other day, I was Swiffering the great room. I moved the couch; I have done recently done that a few times. Well, all of a sudden an old sponge ball came out from under the couch... very weird...

I may be weird, but I took that as a sign that Artie wanted me to think of him.. not not forget him~~~ not that I ever will..

I picked up that ball, kissed it...and put it where I used to keep all his other sponge balls. I could not bear to part with it...

Anyway, I am trying to move on... still to early to think of re-adopting.. I cannot afford it, plus, emotionally, I am still grieving... I need to get my head together before I can fully devote myself to another kitty... financially, I do not know when that will be...

I have returned to volunteering at the Humane Society/Rescue at PetSmart.

I was a volunteer, as a fill-in, but a year ago, when Artie began getting so sick, I stopped.

I did a couple shifts as a fill-in.. Last week they offered me a permanent shift. It was up to me: if it was too early to commit or not...

I took the shift. It is every other Sunday, the last shift: feeding cleaning, talking to any interested people, evaluating them, having them fill out the adoption forms, letting them see the kitties, and, if time allows, playing with them...

We usually have 5-6 cats... most of them are terrified. We currently have a one which have been surrendered due to sick elderly owners who have moved, cannot take care of them anymore.. so they are really emotionally upset cats...

I am tempted to take one home... she is so terrified.. she is hiding under her bed--6 yrs old.. Her owner had a stroke. Her world shattered, and she is so scared that she is lashing out at everyone....sigh...

but I know I would be foster fail... I know it...

Anyway.. I should go..

I will try to post more about Artie, soon...
I promise...
so many Artie Stories.. I need to remember the good times and not the bad...

Thanks again, for reading this... if you get this far...
love...

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are you saying you would be a "foster fail"? Quite the contrary Cindy, if you don't mind me calling you by your first name. Your love and devotion for Artie for all those years, through the good times and rough times, never giving up on him nor YOURSELF is a beautiful story. The way I see it, you are the perfect foster parent choice for that kitty. That kitty obviously has caught your attention and heart, otherwise you never would have bothered to mention her in particular. We all know you have the love and understanding from where that little one has come from. One thing I want to say right here, is this would be a "foster" situation, not an "adoption" which would be a commitment. Pray on it Cindy, mull it over in your heart and see how you feel. If you are ready to job in the waters for a "foster", go for it. Who knows, this may lead to the "A" word!! Maybe Artie led you to that ball through his spirit so that you would find it at this time, while you are considering opening up your heart to another kitty who obviously is in need for someone like you. Keep in mind, this would be a "foster" at this point, less scary to look at this that way at this part of the game. ;):)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, thank you so much... it has been rough.. I promise I will write more.. hopefully soon...

I miss Artie so much.. It just seems that the more I think or write about him, the more I tear up...

I was finally, out of the blue, got my printer working. I finally have several pictures of him around here.. I talk to them daily.. I pat them at least twice a day... good morning, and good night, and sometimes during the day...

I saved a ton of his fur.. I have some on top of his 'box'.. I periodically got over, touch it.. thinking about how soft his fur was, and how good he was...

The other day, something really strange happened.

I have been cleaning diligently around here.. There really is not much evidence of him around.. the stray litter and fur are all gone.. things washed and put away..

The other day, I was Swiffering the great room. I moved the couch; I have done recently done that a few times. Well, all of a sudden an old sponge ball came out from under the couch... very weird...

I may be weird, but I took that as a sign that Artie wanted me to think of him.. not not forget him~~~ not that I ever will..

I picked up that ball, kissed it...and put it where I used to keep all his other sponge balls. I could not bear to part with it...

Anyway, I am trying to move on... still to early to think of re-adopting.. I cannot afford it, plus, emotionally, I am still grieving... I need to get my head together before I can fully devote myself to another kitty... financially, I do not know when that will be...

I have returned to volunteering at the Humane Society/Rescue at PetSmart.

I was a volunteer, as a fill-in, but a year ago, when Artie began getting so sick, I stopped.

I did a couple shifts as a fill-in.. Last week they offered me a permanent shift. It was up to me: if it was too early to commit or not...

I took the shift. It is every other Sunday, the last shift: feeding cleaning, talking to any interested people, evaluating them, having them fill out the adoption forms, letting them see the kitties, and, if time allows, playing with them...

We usually have 5-6 cats... most of them are terrified. We currently have a one which have been surrendered due to sick elderly owners who have moved, cannot take care of them anymore.. so they are really emotionally upset cats...

I am tempted to take one home... she is so terrified.. she is hiding under her bed--6 yrs old.. Her owner had a stroke. Her world shattered, and she is so scared that she is lashing out at everyone....sigh...

but I know I would be foster fail... I know it...

Anyway.. I should go..

I will try to post more about Artie, soon...
I promise...
so many Artie Stories.. I need to remember the good times and not the bad...

Thanks again, for reading this... if you get this far...
love...
"...if you get this far..."!!! I've been starved for news and as I say, praying daily for you both.
You are doing a wonderful thing by volunteering for the cats!!! and it is a great way to be "with cats" in these times. :goldstar::heartshape::hugs:
I had something very similar after one of our beloveds passed. One of her favorite toys appeared front and center, just inside the front door. Of course someone else could have been playing with it. But I don't think so, and I chose to take it as a sign, just as you have. Whether or not we see physical signs, though, they ARE watching over us, without a doubt. :redheartpump::redcat::redheartpump: