Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Artie!

I was talking on the phone one time and my beloved angel Simba was on my lap.  All of a sudden, the line went dead.  SIMBA had bitten through the curly cord!  Fortunately there was a Radio Shack close, and I went there immediately, got another cord, attached it and called my friend back, saying, "You'll never guess what happened!"  

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good that he is eating well!  Which makes me wonder if the dish on the floor was his way of saying, "BORING!  I want something a bit different...like, NAOW!"  

Although I know how annoying it can be, Artie being Happy is such a good sign that he is feeling his oats!  Poor tummy!  You might try a towel between the tummy and the Artieknives.  Just a thought.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I have to have on my very thick robe every morning now because my teener-neener makes biscuits so hard she was leaving marks on me!  But she is so dang cute I can't stop her, I just wear the old thick robe.

Something else--like the towel suggestion--when I'm sitting on the couch or loveseat and Shortstack comes and starts with the biscuit making, I have to put an afghan over me because he gets so vigorous.  I just keep one flipped over the back of each now just for him and his big ole meaty paws!!

Love hearing Artie is feeling all frisky and mischievous.  What a far cry from December!!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Honeybee kneads on me all the time. Her favorite fabric is that Fleece heavy fabric robes. I have 3 of them. She just loves going to town on them. THen I got her a red velvet luxury Throw and that's HER blanket. Pumpkin face won't even walk on it if it's on her couch!

And Honeybee always hits me in the chest with her sharp elbows as she goes back and forth with her paws kneading with her face mashed forward into the blanket..it's my favorite thing in the world.

Hope your days get less annoying and some good things start happening.  Give Artie a kiss and smooch!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not given an update, do not know if anyone noticed, but Artie is still around. 

Artie has had a few not so good days. He is off his food again. I have even given him some cerenia and some cypro. 

The cypro improves his appetite, for the next day, but he is still not eating much. I am throwing out a lot of food, which means he is not getting all of the miralax dose nor the probiotic. 

I think I spoiled him a bit. I had some tuna the other day. I had to share my can with him. He gobbled it down. Since then, he is off his food. sigh...

Last night I was having a couple of slices of American deli Cheese as a snack. I had to share 1/2 of a slice with him. These are the only people food which he really goes crazy over: cheese, and people tuna. 

He did not have anything to eat during the entire day yesterday.. Only 1/2 of a can the night before. Last night, he only ate 1/4 of a can... not much at all. 

We have had some really terrible weather around here for the past week. It is either snowing, a torrential rain storm, one day of sunshine, and then more torrential rain. I know Artie and I are lazy when it is stormy. 

Today is a sub-q day. He is usually quite after them. sigh

Right now it is very cloudy, dark, looks like rain, but none in forecast until tomorrow. Artie is hiding in his quilt/tent.

His poops were not as much as they had been. They have been down to 6 inches and a bit dry. I upped his dose of lactulose to 2ml twice a day. He did poop last night; about 10 inches and normal texture. Thought that may be a reason for not eating.. 

We will just have to see. 

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't be surprised if the cheese binds his bum a bit.  It did with Simon and it too was his fave.

It's okay if Artie is quiet after the Sub Q - You should be more concerned if he fights you on it, but from what you said it sounds like he's settling into this new norm and has been relatively accepting of his treatments.  And the best thing is he's been steady in his health.  Even those monstrous poops sounds like he's doing pretty  well.  I prayed for Simon to poop like that. 

Once again please keep in mind the crappy weather that's going to hit the east coast, so Artie Boy may hunker down in his blanket fort.  Nothing but rain for us the next couple of days.  If you're getting the same, I'd say get out, go to Mass do some window shopping, just get in your car, blast some tunes and enjoy this sunny day.  After you take care of Artie of course. 

Be well my friend.  xoxohope

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I plan to go out for a bit later.. I am lazy also...

I am about to get up, and get moving. Once I give Artie all the stuff he needs, I will shower and be on my way.. probably by early afternoon. On a sub-q day, I cannot make Mass. I have to much to attend to around here; plus, I am lazy. 

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

Oh, I plan to go out for a bit later.. I am lazy also...
Lazy day for me too, wish we lived closer. 
  It sounds like we have similar weather also.  I think I've only seen the sun once in the past week and today is no exception.  In fact, they're predicting over 2" of rain with snow tonight into tomorrow morning.  Artie and you both probably need a lazy day to recoup and get back on track.  Relax, take it easy and hug that sweet boy of yours. 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it stands to reason that he wouldn't eliminate as much if he's been eating lightly lately.  Hope this improves quickly!  C'mon Artie, SNORK THAT FOOD!  Don't make your mama have to throw out good food! (I have this conversation from time to time, with my sometimes-picky cats.  I'm continually changing up the variety for them. Do you think they appreciate it? Ungrateful beasts.)

Hope the sub-Q went well.  And you both have every right to some R&R and laziness.  We all have to remind ourselves of that these days, don't we?  If I'm not pounding the keyboard, I feel guilty.  That should definitely stop. 

Wishing you both a good day. 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

Lazy day for me too, wish we lived closer. 
  It sounds like we have similar weather also.  I think I've only seen the sun once in the past week and today is no exception.  In fact, they're predicting over 2" of rain with snow tonight into tomorrow morning.  Artie and you both probably need a lazy day to recoup and get back on track.  Relax, take it easy and hug that sweet boy of yours. 
Yes, I wish we did live closer to each other. I think that of many friends I have found at this site. Sometimes, I wish we could have a "Convention of Cat Friends"!! 

It is cloudy.. not rainy, a bit warmish and damp. 

Artie was very good for his sub-q's. He has not eaten anything all day. It is 3pm. He ate only 1/4 of a can during the night. 

I am trying not to be concerned. But it is a bit upsetting. I give him fresh food in the morning, he only laps up a tiny bit of the water, then walks away. I do not know if he has a tummy ache, is fussing, or is just sick. sigh

I will give him a bit longer, and see what happens tonight and tomorrow morning. 

It will be a bad day tomorrow... I have a list of things to do, but knowing me, I will not accomplish much of the list!

Getting my days confused, also. I thought it was Thursday, yet I knew it was a Sub-Q Day (Wednesdays).. 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
NOT NOTICED?  I was about two inches off of panic!  You and Artie, my Dear Friend, are an integral part of the fabric of my life and being.  I wish he would get his appetite back.  How are things this afternoon?  HUGS from me, headbonks and purrs from Hekitty!

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Yes, I wish we did live closer to each other. I think that of many friends I have found at this site. Sometimes, I wish we could have a "Convention of Cat Friends"!! 

It is cloudy.. not rainy, a bit warmish and damp. 

Artie was very good for his sub-q's. He has not eaten anything all day. It is 3pm. He ate only 1/4 of a can during the night. 

I am trying not to be concerned. But it is a bit upsetting. I give him fresh food in the morning, he only laps up a tiny bit of the water, then walks away. I do not know if he has a tummy ache, is fussing, or is just sick. sigh

I will give him a bit longer, and see what happens tonight and tomorrow morning. 

It will be a bad day tomorrow... I have a list of things to do, but knowing me, I will not accomplish much of the list!

Getting my days confused, also. I thought it was Thursday, yet I knew it was a Sub-Q Day (Wednesdays).. 
You mean it's not Thursday?  I thought the same thing! 

Have you ever considered keeping some Nutri-cal on hand for these episodes?  At least you could get some energy into him. 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

You mean it's not Thursday?  I thought the same thing! 

Have you ever considered keeping some Nutri-cal on hand for these episodes?  At least you could get some energy into him. 
I did look at it; though if it is made with chicken, then I do not think so.. I have to be careful with him...

wonder how KMR would work?

NOT NOTICED?  I was about two inches off of panic!  You and Artie, my Dear Friend, are an integral part of the fabric of my life and being.  I wish he would get his appetite back.  How are things this afternoon?  HUGS from me, headbonks and purrs from Hekitty!
He did a few licks this afternoon. I am at a quandary as to what to think it is from. He had a lot of stress last week. Artie has not played for a few days also.. sigh.. 

hopefully not another flare... or whatever it is that he gets...sigh...

Artie is sleeping a lot.. but the weather has been horrible. He enjoyed his brushing this morning and yesterday. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
As far as I can tell, Nutri-cal for Cats doesn't have any meat in it whatsoever although it does contain Cod Liver Oil.

Nutritional Info

Ingredients

1. Corn Syrup, Soybean Oil, Malt Syrup, Cod Liver Oil, Cane Molasses, Methylcellulose, Water, Gelatin By-Products, Dl-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Sodium Benzoate (Preservative), Manganese Sulfate, Ferric Ammonium Citrate, Thiamine HCl, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate (Source of Calcium and Pantothenic Acid), Magnesium Sulfate, Pyridoxine HCl, Potassium Iodine (Source of Iodine and Potassium), Riboflavin 5- Phosphate Sodium (Source of Vitamin B2 and Phosphorus) Vitamin A Palmitate & D Supplement, Folic Acid, and Cyancobalamin (Vitamin B12) Also a Source of Linoleic, Eicosapentanoic Acid, Docosahexanoic Acid and Omega-6 & Omega-3 Fatty Acids.
Chewy sells 4 formulations made by two manufacturers, none with meat. 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is it with Thursday this week?  Another friend on another site said it was Thursday yesterday!!! This Thursday fixation has totally bypassed me.  I want to know!!!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want to stress you, but I've just been searching the subject and the overwhelming majority of answers on the topic of cats not eating is that a vet visit is called for.  It is not normal for cats not to eat for no discernible reason, and since Artie has palatable food that he normally likes, this is "not normal".  You say he's not drinking much, either.  The fact that he had sub-Q today is good, but he does need to drink and to eat.  I know you've had a lot of vet visits/bills, but in this case, it definitely does sound that, unless he eats pronto, he should see his doctor.  *PRAYERS*

Status
Not open for further replies.