Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Staples does phone repairs, including replacing cracked screens.

Your Bose is worth a call to see if they think they would be able to fix it. You could also get an estimate for how much it would cost to repair
Great idea!! There is a Staples, if it is one of the stores they are not closing.. right near me.. about 5 minutes away!! Thanks!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

IT is tomorrow, Friday, that the elevator will be going down. i can use the stairs, going down. Climbing up would be difficult for me--knee. 

It is supposed to snow, Friday; so it is a good day to stay in, make phone calls, check out things on the web, binge watch, write some checks, and so some dusting and cleaning... in other words, I have a couple days of work.. at my leisure. 

I really make it a habit, not to do work on Sunday's . I can wash some clothes, but nothing heavy. 

I came back from church and Trader Joes. Artie is curled up in his quilt tent. His dish bowl was licked clean!!!! 

OMG!! a first for daytime, and a rarity at night!!!

Perhaps the Cyproheptadine has a delayed reaction????

I need to find a better way to chart his habits: meds, poop, food intake, disposition. I need charts.. too bad I am not computer literate enough to know how to do it. 

I could do it weekly or monthly... have to think on this.. sigh...hard to be dumb. 

Used to be a 'dumb' blonde, now I am a 'dumb" redhead with gray roots!!!  
Check with @Margret  about computer charting.  She knows EVERYTHING!  Or at least, has been able to talk me through most everything!

Walmart also carries pet meds, they don't give specifics, but a phone call would answer that.  https://www.walmart.com/cp/pet-medications/1095032

Also, if you are a member of AARP, they offer pet med discounts.  https://search.aarp.org/gss/everywhere?q=pet meds&intcmp=DSO-SRCH-EWHERE

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have printed a couple of different Pet cards. My local Rite-Aid, Walgreens, and CVS do not honor them. I think they are just misinformed. I do not know where other pet owners get the meds, probably from their Vet. I was talking to a fill-in pharmacist at Rite-aid when I picked up his Lactulose. She told me that not all of them have a pet clientele. 

I know my R vet will give a script for a human pharmacy and will work with others.. They also have their own mail order pharmacy...
I've used the pet drug card at CVS with no problem at all. The pharmacist just has to enter the RxBIN number and RXGrp name that is on the card into the computer.

If N Vet refills Artie's meds, you can just buy them at the hospital's own pharmacy. I actually found Flovent cheaper there than at CVS. Refills can be requested by phone or online and you can either pick them up at the hospital or request for them to be mailed. I'm sure N Vet will give you a written prescription if it's for a Human med and you prefer to buy it at CVS or wherever.
Wow, that's good to know, about the AAA card. Is that just w/ on line ordering? Designated places? (I don't think the vet would be affiliated w/ AAA) ...??
What pet prescriptions are eligible for a discount? Prescription medication that is also generally prescribed for human conditions may receive a discount by taking the prescription, written by a vet, to a participating retail pharmacy.

http://www.aaa.com/aaa/AAAPrescriptions/PresSavings_FAQ.htm

Many in-store Human pharmacies allow the use of AAA. I'm not sure about ordering from online Human pharmacies but there is probably info about that on the AAA web site. Online pet pharmacies won't take AAA.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 It's one of my absolute favorites -- I watch it again and again, especially when I need a laugh.  This cat is something else!!!

Oh, good man Artie!  That's so good to hear about his appetite.

I know Bose is supposed to be the gold standard of audio.  I don't have any of their products but I would definitely think that repair would be an option on something that high-quality.  The iPhone, too, as long as it's performing well. 

I'm not sure whether you like to take and keep a lot of photos or not, but photos(dot)google(dot)com offers unlimited storage and works well with computers and iPhones.   When I had nothing but problems with Windows' photo program after attempting to do some tweaking I shouldn't have (and discovering that I'm far from alone there), I discovered this and it is the BEST.  I love to take lots of pix of my cats with my camera and my iPhone and it's so fast and convenient.  I also use shutterfly for my prints, and uploading is so easy with this program.  Just sharing. 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Is cyproheptadine an apatite stimulant? If so I have noticed they take about a day to kick in.
Yes, it is an appetite stimulate. Artie ate over 1 can yesterday!  For breakfast, not much. 

He was cuddling with me while I was on the recliner. He is so sweet. I do not know if it is just the fleece throw, or a combination of the fleece and me, but he always runs over when I am covered with it. 

It is kind of 'our' time.. Yes, he gets "Happy", but it is also our time to snuggle. 

When I get up to do something, and start walking back to the recliner, Artie is there, waiting for me! As soon as I put the throw on my lap, Artie is right on top of me! 

Woke up to him cuddling in bed. Got up and saw the scatter rug all rolled up, his soft balls moved. Sure enough, he Pooped!! This time it was a 6 x 1/2 piece. A bit dry.. 

Seems like he poops 3 time a week. That is good. 

He ate 1/2 a can during the night. Good for him!! Refused breakfast, but did lick a bit of food a few minutes ago. 

Again, he wants to be brushed. As soon as I opened up the drapes, he was on top of his cat tree waiting for me to brush him---too early~~

It will be a lazy day. I thought we would have a bit of rain or snow. I guess it is coming later today. I am planning on staying in. Artie will be lazy/sleepy.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background

*PRAYERS* and good thoughts for Artie (and you) tomorrow!  and hopefully after his visit, he'll be in a hungry mood again.  

There have been some champion snorers in this furmily -- for some reason, I love cat snores, but don't feel the same way about human snores...my dad and my ex used to snore like freight trains coming through the room.  Not cute at all!
  Speaking of snoring=my mother and Jon could win contests when it comes to snoring. I have been told I snore like a freight train as well. Honeybee has her little snores on occasion. Usually it's a wheezy because of the dry air...in the summer not so much.

Hope your appointment went well!!!
And I stuck my foot in mouth again. I didn't see that you had already posted the answer to how the appointment went. I am so sorry you are struggling. And the money issues are enough to send most people into a ticked off state for hours.

Anyways=speakers! I got a Bluetooth Bose Speaker at best buy. They have 2? different models. Jon got it for me for Christmas two years ago. The sound is AWESOME but it's run by blue tooth. I have a Samsung 3 and use Straight talk from walmart. $48 a month for unlimited text/talk and 5 gig data.

Cricket is a new one I have seen advertised=depending on how much data you use you could find a cheaper plan. I bought my phone at walmart in 2014? 2013?  at the time it was $279. Of course it's too outdated for the newer games etc but I prefer android over apple. apple doesn't have things you can troubleshoot-they make you take it to the store..That is just my preference..I am technical minded and don't mind doing things myself. I just prefer Samsung. I have been wanting to upgrade but I hate wasting so I will use the phone until it dies.

Ok prescriptions..

there is a website I use www.kiwidrug,com and inhousepharmacy.vu are both in New Zealand. I use these sites to get Honeybee's flovent. Otherwise it's $380 for one canister. I just can't afford that. I get her flovent for $60 a canister. Made by Glaxosmith. The only difference no counter. Anyways they do have some human medications we give for cats if you want to check them out. I also get revolution from them. much cheaper.

ok online compounding pharmacy= Nashua NH has Wingates. They are a compounding only place. They do mail orders. Pumpkins Gabapentin is compounded here for her. I am sure they can do the pred and others.

another site I like roadrunner and Wedgewood Pharmacy and Diamond back

http://wingatespharmacy.com/

https://www.roadrunnerpharmacy.com/

http://www.wedgewoodpharmacy.com/

http://www.diamondbackdrugs.com/

I belong to yahoo group for Feline Lymphoma group and they have talked about these ones for many things especially vet meds. I would call and get pricing. Often cheaper to mailorder the pills/solutions than pay the vet price.

I have also found some of the supplements I give at Chewy.com/ the dasquin is cheapest there and so is the feliway diffuser refills.

I have used Wedgewood and talked to someone at diamondback. Had good experiences with both.

the last 3 were highly recommended from an oncologist in Atlanta Georgia, Dr Jory. I have learned so much from him. All from emails..I have been following that group since 2012. I haven't kept up in the past year but Dr Jory is the person to speak to concerning medications. He knows his stuff. So if you need to do a phone consult concerning medications=I know it's not cancer related but that gentleman is a walking dictionary when it comes to Pharmacology.

Anyways I just wanted you to know thinking about you and I hope Artie gets well soon. The heartbeat issue sounds like it's manageable..one of those what do they call it? Watch and wait.

I think Jon has arrhythmia as well but he won't get it treated or see a doctor. He has blood pressure issues and I keep tabs on him. Luckily it went down when we restrict salt. and he needs to exercise..I check it once a week. When he isn't exercising it goes up..when I can convince him to have a good sweat then it goes down.. I just check on him and make sure he doesn't overexert himself but he's stubborn as a mule. It took me 5 years to get him to see a doctor for various issues. I am going to read up on this heartbeat thing. I llisten to his heart when I am laying next to him and I hear a skipped beat but it's not obvious..like every 5 to 7 minutes I hear something strange. He doesn't believe me. So I guess I just keep nagging at him.

I am trying to get him to a doctor this week or now next week. he has been sick with my cold for 2 weeks=it started to clear up then he got a fever. he took advils but that night he complained about pain on the back where your kidney is..I told him he needs to drink double the amount of water when taking advil. (He doesn't drink water unless I nag-I outdrink him any day) So he's finally pounding the water even though he hates it. Him and I are opposite=I am always hungry and thirsty-he can go hours without food or water. I call him my camel. He tolerates heat better than I do. but he doesn't like the cold. He doesn't like the house cold. So anyways it's interesting to learn about heart issues. The biggest thing is cleaning up our diets. We both are not the greatest at following doctors orders. Thanks for sharing the medical stuff you know. I always like learning new things..and I wrote you another book!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
@foxxycat   write away!!! I love to listen to you. You are so knowledgable. I am just a bit stuck in the mud..whining and feeling sorry for myself.

Until I figure out what to do about Artie's meds, I am going to stay local. Just in case. Once things are a bit more controlled and I do not have to wait for a shipment, I can then do the mailings. 

I may sound crazy, but .....

Thanks for the links.. I forgot about Diamondback. I did remember Wedgwood. Have to see if I can find their prices before I sign up as a customer. 

I did order the cisapride today. I need to look up prices so I can see how much shipping is. 

And as far as the Bose Dock is concerned. I thought to call Bose directly. It is still covered under their, lifetime guarantee. They are willing to fix it. Problem is, they do not have a service center in the eastern part of the country, which means shipping.. damn

BUT, for a set price of the shipping, I can get it fixed for free. It will take 3 weeks. The sound quality is phenomenal! I really like it. 

I agreed to fix it.. You pay them, they arrange the shipping labels, send it to you on e-mail ... all you have to do is pack it up bring it to UPS store.. They suggest insuring it. I will see how much that costs..

Now I have to find a box, get some packing material. I have a bit of small bubble wrap. I can pick up some more at Staples. and I have to get a box... thinking grocery store???????  or just look at Staples and see what they have. The UPS store is in there also. 

Today was a few phone call days. Angell Memorial has financial aid for only IN Patients... not for outpatients. and they did not have any other ideas... sigh

I put a call in for Artie's NVet. I left a message with his secretary that I had some questions, after Artie having the echo.. and wanted to know what the NVet thoughts. 

I have not heard back. I know the N Vet is out on Monday, so I expect a call from someone Tuesday. 

I did dust, swiffer and vacuum a bit. In between the few phone calls; and wrote out some bills. Constant hold and mind blowing stuff. I have be be in a better place psychologically for these.. perhaps tomorrow. 

I have a couple more to do. The biggies.. comcast and social security.. I am dreading those. 

Artie is not having a good day... no food eaten...and sleeping all day. He did not want much of a brushing. It is a dark day, with a mix of rain/snow coming down. It is not accumulating, but I suspect it will tonight as the temperature drops. It will probably get ice also. 

I will be waiting him up soon.. in a few minutes.. see if he wants to eat.. fingers crossed. 

I have his 'log' in a bit better shape. I have hand written short daily notes; like poops, fluid, lactulose amount, food intake; and weight when taken. I can fax that over to N Vet if he wants it. I am getting a bit of a headache.. I think I need some tea.. and something solid to eat... weather related. had weird dreams last night, and I was cold. so not a good nights sleep.

gotta get going.. 

I accomplished a bit today.. not much but a bit. 

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like potentially a good day for you and Artie!

I hate dealing with bills and especially with calls -- I'm very social and love talking to people, but not holding for hours and dealing with problems that get blown from molehills to mountains, so I do almost everything online.  I actually like live chat -- for some reason, the people I've dealt with via this method tend to be smarter and quicker in solving problems, so it's my preferred method of dealing with business whenever possible.

A 5.5 oz can a day is normal for each of my 3  -- and they have high-quality dry available at all times, plus their fountain and bowls of water.  Hopefully Artie's appetite will keep up and he'll gain some of his weight back (plus maybe put on a bit more?) 

Wishing you both a good day!  

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

>SNIP<

He was cuddling with me while I was on the recliner. He is so sweet. I do not know if it is just the fleece throw, or a combination of the fleece and me, but he always runs over when I am covered with it. 

It is kind of 'our' time.. Yes, he gets "Happy", but it is also our time to snuggle. 

When I get up to do something, and start walking back to the recliner, Artie is there, waiting for me! As soon as I put the throw on my lap, Artie is right on top of me! 

>SNIP<
LOL...He's SUCH a male!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
OMGosh!!  I am IN LOVE!!!   
  With N Vet 

He called me after 4:30pm.. He is awesome! So easy to talk with ~~~  a REAL person!!

He does not want to mess around with Artie's meds right now, because he seems to have found a good rhythm. He is a bit concerned about his weight. He is not concerned about the PVC's, since the C Vet is not. He wants to see him in about 3 weeks, just for check-up- weight check, ? lymph nodes palpable,  and a possible ultrasound. He may not actually do the ultrasound, if he does not feel it is indicated. He is really cost conscious! and owner conscious! He wants to have the U/S spot available, just in case. 

Artie can eat during the night, but I am to withhold his breakfast. 

The N Vet's secretary will call me about an appointment time... Love her, also...

I thanked him for returning my call.. He said I am doing the right thing by calling and asking questions.. OMG!!! what a difference from the EVIL Hospital... no comparison at all.. 

N Vet is so upbeat!! and so nice.. 

I also told him that I gave Artie 1/2 of a cyproheptadine the other night.. he said that was fine!!  

He did not get the path report which I faxed to him, so I read it over the phone!! I had it handy, in Artie's file..yes, I was able to pronounce all the medical words. 

I am in love  

The crappy week, is ending on a positive note..

More money to be spent, but it is worth it.. what is money, when it is spent on someone you love?

Last edited:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What luck you have found this incredible vet. It is going to make your and Arties life less difficult from here on in.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*INDEED!* to the last statement.

Wonderful that you've found such a gem! And yes, thanks to @LTS3  !

That might be a good idea about withholding breakfast.  Cats being predators in their natural state are not habituated to having food available all the time.  This might get Artie more food-motivated. 

Yes, faxes are notoriously unreliable.  I've had a running battle on that subject recently, having faxed some sensitive docs somewhere and every time I call them to remind them and check on whether they've done their jobs or not, the person on the other end claims there are lots of people faxing docs and that mine haven't been retrieved yet.  Since the last week of FEBRUARY, no less. 

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

have @LTS3  to thank for it...
Kudos to LTS3 

So unbelievably happy your talk with the N Vet was productive and put your mind at ease.  Now you can have a glorious weekend and maybe treat yourself to something that's not on your diet. 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise

Such great news and such a load off your mind.  LTS3 really did a wonderful thing for you and Artie.!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Saturday update:

Another gloomy, rain/snow day. That is ok. I have towels in the wash. Lazy day, again.

The wind and rain was howling and pelting the building/windows. I think Artie was scared because he was tightly curled up in his quilt tent. I had to poke the top in order to get him up. The wind and rain was really bad. They woke me up several times during the night, so I am guessing he was frightened.. Usually he cuddles with me in bed, but not this morning. 

He is very lazy today. Sleeping..He took his sub-q's like a champ!! and his medicine was no problem at all. He did want to be brushed, but did not stay for long. I only got about 1/2 of a blushful of fur. He played for a few seconds.. He is bored, and sleepy. 

I gave him his breakfast--no go.. it is now 12;45pm and he still has not touched it. Artie ate about 1/3 of a can during the night. 

Nothing else to update. I think I am going to try to join him on the coach and catch some TV. 

Yes, I am lazy also. I think I was born lazy. 

The only thing I have done is clean the microwave and throw the towels in the wash. Not a good day to steam the floors, so I will wait on that. 

Artie should have a poop day either today or definitely tomorrow. I had to open up a new bottle of lactulose today. 

Have to pick up the cisapride tomorrow. I do not have enough to last until Monday. 

Strange not listening to my internet music stations... sigh.. just local on the radio. But this is temporary. tomorrow I will check out the UPS store. I can either go to a UPS store or take it to Staples. I think I am going to the store, and have them package up the dock. I will wrap it, a bit in bubble wrap, at home. 

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, you're getting bad weather.  We had steady rain yesterday, but nothing too bad.  Just a grey day here today, no rain or snow.

Just hunker down and relax.  Artie will surprise us with another "treat" in his box. LOL

I think you should get out a good book, or put on a mellow movie, curl up and relax, nap, relax, nap - basically have a stay in your sweats day, and do nothing...  with your sweet boy by your side of course. xoxo

I have a few errands to run, then that's what I intend to do.

I may bake those pretzels I've been craving. 

Enjoy your day.  Smooches for ArtieBoy! xoxohope

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm with Artie.  Today I just want to curl up and nap.  I got up VERY early to wait on a delivery which is not here yet.  I'm IN TOUCH, Artie, my boy!  Tell that Two-foot you take care of to just put her feeties up and relax today!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brave, good Artie with his sub-Qs (and you likewise, for administering them!)

Hope your weather improves soon.  I won't rub it in by telling you about ours. 

Fresh towels are one of life's little luxuries, don't you think?

HAGD, you two!

Status
Not open for further replies.