Status
Not open for further replies.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I'm sorry about your toe.

I finally got an appointment with the ortho but it's with a Physicians assistant. I kept asking for an appointment with a real doctor but they insisted they can do just about everything a regular doc does. Well I don't know about you-but I don't want to be charged full price for a not full doctor. I ended up taking the appointment. It's Friday. I dislike most doctors because they want people to be dumb and not know what they are talking about. It's going to be hard for me to keep my mouth shut about physiology regarding my foot.

I knew your Artie had to be on special food-but I figured until you get him looked at-you can do a serving of tuna-just a small one-then the reg food. I wouldn't bother with the R vet either. Too many hands in the cookie jar make things complicated.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Man, I am so sorry you stubbed that toe! I agree with foxxycat foxxycat about tuna just till tomorrow. That little bit won't do any lasting harm, I don't think, and it will be easier on his poor toofie. He's on my candle list for special prayers and :vibes::vibes::vibes:till this mouth thing is resolved.

foxxycat foxxycat I must be really blessed with my doctor. He's a lot like the human version of N Vet. I'm a full member of a team who looks after my health care, and he NEVER talks down to me.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie was boycotting his food yesterday and last night. He only licked at the tuna mixed with dry food.

He did poop during the night. 4 1/2 by 1/2 inch-- it was good
As soon as I got up, he had very, very soft poop...sigh...

Artie was a bear with his lactulose yesterday. I really do not know how much he got, and how much got on him...I was brushing dried lactulose of his fur while he was on my lap last night.

He is refusing his dry food.. sigh..His drooling has stopped...

Going to the NVet this morning. Honestly, I am at a loss as to how to handle this cat. I do not know what to do with him anymore. sigh

After the fight with the lactulose yesterday, I actually got fed up with him.
After him refusing all his food and just wanting tuna, I was really upset. I actually said to him: "Go away".. "I do not like you anymore"..sigh..

Frustration has really set in. I do not know if he is being fussy, is in pain, is holding out for tuna, I do not know at this point. I am pretty much beside myself.. I kind of give up..

I thought today's appointment would be a really good one, instead it is going to be a frustrating one. I know the Nvet will not go along with me giving in to Artie about the tuna. He is for 'tough love' with food. I tried it, but he was losing weight.. I give up.. so frustrated..

Have to get going and give him all his morning meds, plus sub-q's before we leave. Got up earlier for this...

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
The NVet did an excellent exam of Artie both in front of me and in the back room. Tooth is not bad~~ according to him.

He drew blood for CBC, Complete Chemistry, Lipase(for pancreatitis), Urine for specific gravity and is holding on to it for additional testing, if needed. Also doing kidney function tests (part of the blood panel).
Does not want to over-order exams because they are expensive. Would rather hold on to specimens and then order what is necessary. Keeps the cost down a bit.

Does not want to comment on anything until the lab results are in.
Did not want me to pick up another bag of food, in case we have to change things around, again. Does not want to label him with having something else, until we are certain of it. keeping with the dry food for now.

We may have to do some imaging studies.. like an ultrasound.

Artie weighs 10.6 lbs-- still a weight loss from June 8 when he was
11 lbs.

The blood test results will be back this afternoon. I should hear from him today or even tomorrow. I am staying home today, just in case.

He does not believe an animal will starve itself, without an underlying reason. He does not know Artie...

Artie is not constipated. He pooped during the night, and did a large blob in there when I got up and when we returned from the NVEt.

Drooling is a sign of nausea.. does not think it is from his tooth. It does not look that bad to him.. what do I know? it looks really bad to me. Rest of his teeth are ok.

He asked if I was certain the water spots, yesterday were from his mouth. I said yes because I took a paper towel and touched both Artie's pee-pee and his mouth. The mouth left a wet spot. and Artie is always swallowing.

I did not get much info from the NVet. He is waiting for the lab results.

I still really like him. I feel confident in him.

Artie was really good driving in there. Not much form him at all. No yowls at all. I was shocked. First time every.

On the way home, he was more vocal, but not bad until we got close to home. Upon opening the door of his carrier, He ran out, inspected the entire apartment, to see if anything changed! The he went into his litter box an pooped another blob and peed a large amount.

Artie is curled up, sleeping, in his large cat tree. The open box nest the top of it..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The NVet did an excellent exam of Artie both in front of me and in the back room. Tooth is not bad~~ according to him.

He drew blood for CBC, Complete Chemistry, Lipase(for pancreatitis), Urine for specific gravity and is holding on to it for additional testing, if needed. Also doing kidney function tests (part of the blood panel).
Does not want to over-order exams because they are expensive. Would rather hold on to specimens and then order what is necessary. Keeps the cost down a bit.

Does not want to comment on anything until the lab results are in.
Did not want me to pick up another bag of food, in case we have to change things around, again. Does not want to label him with having something else, until we are certain of it. keeping with the dry food for now.

We may have to do some imaging studies.. like an ultrasound.

Artie weighs 10.6 lbs-- still a weight loss from June 8 when he was
11 lbs.

The blood test results will be back this afternoon. I should hear from him today or even tomorrow. I am staying home today, just in case.

He does not believe an animal will starve itself, without an underlying reason. He does not know Artie...

Artie is not constipated. He pooped during the night, and did a large blob in there when I got up and when we returned from the NVEt.

Drooling is a sign of nausea.. does not think it is from his tooth. It does not look that bad to him.. what do I know? it looks really bad to me. Rest of his teeth are ok.

He asked if I was certain the water spots, yesterday were from his mouth. I said yes because I took a paper towel and touched both Artie's pee-pee and his mouth. The mouth left a wet spot. and Artie is always swallowing.

I did not get much info from the NVet. He is waiting for the lab results.

I still really like him. I feel confident in him.

Artie was really good driving in there. Not much form him at all. No yowls at all. I was shocked. First time every.

On the way home, he was more vocal, but not bad until we got close to home. Upon opening the door of his carrier, He ran out, inspected the entire apartment, to see if anything changed! The he went into his litter box an pooped another blob and peed a large amount.

Artie is curled up, sleeping, in his large cat tree. The open box nest the top of it..
I really like your NVet. He sounds like a truly caring, knowledgeable, considerate doctor who is not only concerned with his patients but also with his patients' caregivers' financial health, which is a rare thing these days IMHO. I would definitely trust him, with the caveat that YOU are the final judge of how Artie is, as you live with him, care for him, and are more familiar with his habits and idiosyncrasies. I would continue doing what you're doing food-wise. A little tuna juice is not going to be harmful to him. Even a little tuna, as long as it is not his main diet. He needs to eat and as you say, the doctor does not KNOW Artie as you do. You could also use a syringe to feed him, though, if need be -- any kind of cat food or straight baby food (no onion or garlic) mixed with water into a slurry. We both know patience is key. Another reason he may not be eating as much is hot weather. My cats always go on "food strike" in the heat, as I do not use air conditioning. But they DO eat and they drink their water.

*PRAYERS* for good test results for Artie, soon, and a workable plan, whether the same or different, for maintaining him and building him up.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hope you don't have to wait too long for the test results and that it is positive news. Will be keeping everything crossed for you and Artie

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Artie has the smears again.. a lot this time. I think it is because I overdosed him on lactulose the other day. I was so afraid of him getting stopped up again. He was fighting me with it, so I have no idea how much he actually got.. either 3 -6 cc..sigh. I ended up getting a ton on me, him, the floor, and the chair.

So far I have washed 2 throws, (the new one and the old one), a nightie; have cleaned off the top of his quilt with Nature's Miracle, several spots on the floor.

I am back to puppy pads and a cover sheet for my bed.

Artie is not getting any miralax or lactulose today.. or even his stool softener.. tomorrow I will go back to a bit of each..

After the NVet appointment yesterday, Artie had a bit more of an appetite. He ate 3/8 cup of food yesterday. I did not give him any lactulose because he had very soft poops twice during the day.

Today, he is not eating, and is pretty lethargic.. I am going to attribute that to the side effects of the rabies vaccine..sigh.. He was overdue for it.. sigh...

No food today.. just perhaps a couple of nibbles while I was out.

Got the results of the most of the blood tests. They are all normal!!!!
Is that good or bad?? Obviously, I want it to be good, but I also want an answer.. I guess I will never have anything concrete to go by.

The pancreatitis results will take another day or 2.

NVet is off today, however his Sec, J, got the authority to give me the results.

Now, my question is: What are we going to do now??? How do I handle this??

My head is just in a fog.. I mean it. I was in a fog, feeling overwhelmed yesterday.. it was not a good appointment for me.. meaning that I was just not 'into' everything.. I did not know how to explain things or how to answer questions..NVet must think I am a looney bin person...

I went out for a few hours. I was still in a daze.. weird..
Artie is curled up sleeping..

He slept with me all night. I had the old throw on top of my bed. Good thing because that got soiled...better that than my bedspread/quilt; easier to wash.

Have to get to the laundry... washer done (my clothes) and take a couple things out of the dryer.. So happy to have my own washer and dryer in here...

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Sorry that he's not feeling well. My Floey used to get sleepy after her rabies shot too.

I am glad the bloodwork is normal. But I understand you want answers. It's important to stick to a set dose every day for the meds-it's hard on his body to have it going up and down so much-but I understand why you upped the dose of lacto stuff. Don't back off on the meds today-just give him his normal dose. 1cc am and 1 cc pm. so at least there's some consistency otherwise you will be back at constipation in 4 days. Just do the best you can.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs::grouphug::hugs::grouphug2::hugs::grouphug::hugs:

I'm so sorry things aren't going so well with Artie :frown::alright: The N vet most certainly WON'T think you're 'a loony', or anything else negative or derogatory :nono: He must deal with desperate and distressed owners all the time, and I'm sure many don't hold it together half as well as you do :hugs:

Take the next few days to get your head straight, make notes of things you want to discuss/question as they occur to you, and most of all BREATHE! Yes, Artie isn't doing so well right now, but 10.6lbs is still hugely better than he was around Christmas/New Year's , and you have a vet you trust and can work with too. This is just another bump in the road.

If you're still unhappy about Artie's tooth, raise it with N vet again, and explain what's concerning you. He's a good guy, and I'm sure he'll talk it over with you some more, if only to put your own mind at rest.

With the food/starvation issue, explain to him exactly what you've experienced over the years with Artie in that regard. You know him far better than N vet does, and I'm sure he'll take want you say on board. It just sounds like your head wasn't in it when you saw him, so you weren't able to have the discussions that were needed to help move forward.

Hang in there :hugs: We all have bad days and frustrated days when caring for chronically sick furbabies - I lost count of the number of times I walked away from Pix or Cal in absolute frustration. It happens, and it's NOTHING to feel bad about. We're all behind you. Just keep going :hugs::hearthrob::hugs: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie has the smears again.. a lot this time. I think it is because I overdosed him on lactulose the other day. I was so afraid of him getting stopped up again. He was fighting me with it, so I have no idea how much he actually got.. either 3 -6 cc..sigh. I ended up getting a ton on me, him, the floor, and the chair.

So far I have washed 2 throws, (the new one and the old one), a nightie; have cleaned off the top of his quilt with Nature's Miracle, several spots on the floor.

I am back to puppy pads and a cover sheet for my bed.

Artie is not getting any miralax or lactulose today.. or even his stool softener.. tomorrow I will go back to a bit of each..

After the NVet appointment yesterday, Artie had a bit more of an appetite. He ate 3/8 cup of food yesterday. I did not give him any lactulose because he had very soft poops twice during the day.

Today, he is not eating, and is pretty lethargic.. I am going to attribute that to the side effects of the rabies vaccine..sigh.. He was overdue for it.. sigh...

No food today.. just perhaps a couple of nibbles while I was out.

Got the results of the most of the blood tests. They are all normal!!!!
Is that good or bad?? Obviously, I want it to be good, but I also want an answer.. I guess I will never have anything concrete to go by.

The pancreatitis results will take another day or 2.

NVet is off today, however his Sec, J, got the authority to give me the results.

Now, my question is: What are we going to do now??? How do I handle this??

My head is just in a fog.. I mean it. I was in a fog, feeling overwhelmed yesterday.. it was not a good appointment for me.. meaning that I was just not 'into' everything.. I did not know how to explain things or how to answer questions..NVet must think I am a looney bin person...

I went out for a few hours. I was still in a daze.. weird..
Artie is curled up sleeping..

He slept with me all night. I had the old throw on top of my bed. Good thing because that got soiled...better that than my bedspread/quilt; easier to wash.

Have to get to the laundry... washer done (my clothes) and take a couple things out of the dryer.. So happy to have my own washer and dryer in here...
Columbine and foxxycat have great suggestions. You're doing great. Artie is doing quite well considering. I agree with keeping his meds consistent (that said, I'm not a vet) so as not to stress his system. And the rabies vac has got to be pretty harsh on him -- I'm kind of surprised it would even be required in a cat of his age and current medical condition, staying indoors-only and being given excellent care. But be that as it may, I hope he improves quickly and stabilizes, and that you don't have continuing mountains of laundry. You two have been doing so well for so long! We need to get back there, yes? All the BEST to you both.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
yes, just a lot dejected today. I am wondering about the rabies vaccine. I meant to really question it, but my mind was not there. I also wanted to disagree about the starvation bit, but again, my mind was at the beach. or in space.

Now I am kicking myself for not being more aware and in the moment.

I guess I felt overwhelmed. No excuse.

The daily dose of the lactulose is in flux, depending on Artie's bowel behavior/appearance.

I wish I had postponed the rabies shot for a while; but if he needed further treatment, as far as any procedures, or even a blood draw, and bit someone, that would be the first thing that they would check. Damned if I do and damned if I don't...

I do trust Nvet, but he does not know me at all. Because I talk to his secretary a lot, I feel she really understands me. Why was I such an idiot yesterday??? These appointments are hard to get and I screwed it up...

Against Vet's orders, I just gave Artie 1/2 a cyproheptadine. He is not eating.. just a few pieces, all day.. he is sleeping, still.

I will call again tomorrow, and tell them that I think he is having side effects from the vaccine booster, in addition to the other issues he has.

What I do not understand is why the rabies vaccine was only good for one year, when the one my RVet gave him was good for 3 years????
I is a Merial Purevax... I do not understand...need to ask.

I think I am going to send off an e-mail, so I do not forget the questions I have. I am going to do it right now, while my mind is a bit in focus...

Artie looks so miserable.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: N vet doesn't know you well yet, but he will get to know you in time. There's no such thing as screwing up a vet appointment (unless you forget and don't show up at all ;) ). We all have bad days, and any decent vet will understand that. An email or phone conversation should straighten things out. He's already given Artie his exam, so he should easily be able to talk all of this out with you without another visit. Take photos and send them to him if you think it will help, too. Sometimes a couple of pictures can make all the difference.

Hang in there hun. Stop questioning, second guessing and berating yourself like this :hugs: I KNOW it's much easier said than done, but it will only make you feel even more dejected and exhausted than you already do. Artie certainly isn't judging you in this way, so don't you do it either ;) Remember to take good care of yourself too. You can't help Artie if you get sick yourself :hugs::vibes:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Two things to say here that are pertinent (most of what I was thinking has been said very well by Columbine Columbine and foxxycat foxxycat ). #1, DO send that email. Email will give you time to marshal your thoughts and add clarity, AND leaves a written record. #2 Do NOT beat yourself up about being spacey at the appointment. You are exhausted again, and confused, and worried. You are very human, and because of that, very dear to us. I know N Vet understands how frantic pet guardians can be when their critters are ailing. That's one of the reasons he is a good vet. Cut yourself some slack, Darlin.

Many, many :vibes::vibes::vibes: and :hugs: for both you AND Artie! Hope your :storm: becomes :sunshine:very soon!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I just sent an e-mail. It is kind of long, about 7 questions, along with my thoughts. I know it will be forwarded to Nvet.

Thanks, guys...
Yes, I do beat myself up.. I need to stop doing that.

Columbine Columbine , NVet loves pictures. I have sent a lot of them, and shown him many, in person.

I kind of expect a phone call from him tomorrow, late afternoon or night. I will be home.. probably cleaning a bit. I have left a lot go because I did not want to disturb Artie, but I have to do something, or else I will go stir-crazy.

wonder if I should break protocol again and give him some more tuna?? but that may spoil him.....sigh...

I did crush up some of the dry food, to try to entice him a bit more with aroma....sigh..

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just sent an e-mail. It is kind of long, about 7 questions, along with my thoughts. I know it will be forwarded to Nvet.

Thanks, guys...
Yes, I do beat myself up.. I need to stop doing that.

Columbine Columbine , NVet loves pictures. I have sent a lot of them, and shown him many, in person.

I kind of expect a phone call from him tomorrow, late afternoon or night. I will be home.. probably cleaning a bit. I have left a lot go because I did not want to disturb Artie, but I have to do something, or else I will go stir-crazy.

wonder if I should break protocol again and give him some more tuna?? but that may spoil him.....sigh...

I did crush up some of the dry food, to try to entice him a bit more with aroma....sigh..
Well, his good dry food in tuna juice couldn't hurt, could it? with maybe a bite or two of tempting tuna mixed in, just for a treat?

Questions are good, especially after what you think is a less-than-satisfactory appointment. Yes, we're all human and we all have our good days and our not-so-good days. It might be good to type/write down those questions before an appointment, so that even if you don't feel your best, you have them to present to NVet? It works for us.

In the meantime, hoping for good answers from NVet and for a good evening/night for you two!:zzzcat::hellocomputer:

katlady-18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Artiemom, it might be that even though the rabies shot is good for 3 years, if your state, city or county requires that pets be vaccinated yearly against rabies, then that's what vets will do. Beyond that I don't know if there's any difference in rabies shots and how long they're effective for or if they're all the same.

Don't beat yourself up for being a little out of it at the appointment, many of us forget to ask things under the best of circumstances, moreso when we're nervous or stressed out. Add exhaustion to your case after everything you've been through with your little guy and it's a wonder you're even still standing or functioning at all. Give yourself a break.

I'm glad the blood results were normal, but I can relate to wanting answers and the cause of your kitty's problems. It's so frustrating and nerve wrecking when tests can't tell you anything. :sigh: In some futuristic world I hope vets can just pass a wand (similar to microchip scanners) over the bodies of pets that can pinpoint where the problem(s) is exactly. LOL. We seriously need a tool like that, given that our furry ones can't tell us what they feel or where.

Last edited:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! I absolutely love NVet. I got an e-mail from his secretary PLUS a phone call from him! I just got off the phone with NVet!!

He is so caring, and kind, so, so, so smart!!

Re: Rabies vax: They have found that the one year vaccine has less probability towards producing tumors in Cats. They are only giving the one year for cats. Dogs do get the 3 year vaccine. Who knew?? Glad they do!! This is an awesome place to take animals. They do cutting edge research on everything. and then report it to the public.. Kind of like the Mass General Hospital does for humans.

I am still doing the correct things.. I can give him some tuna, but I do risk the possibility of making his IBD worse. But if he is not eating, then I do not have any choice. The same thing with sardines, or anything else. We will do what we need to do to get him to eat and then deal with the rest...big sigh of relief!!!

He said I obviously know my cat better than him, so do what I think will work..

Weight loss is not bad. Just keep and eye on it.

I did right by giving Artie 1/2 of the cyproheptadine. I can try 1/4 and see how that goes with him.

Yesterday, Artie was probably having a slight reaction to the vaccine, and everything else he went through.

If he does not respond the next step would be an ultrasound and a possible re-scoping. The NVet does not want to go that route.. so we are just treating as we can.. We could change his IBD meds around, but that is still down the line.

All Artie's blood tests and urine are absolutely normal!! amazing...

NVet was rushed, but spent so much time explaining stuff. It was a short, but QUALITY phone call.

I feel so much better now.. This is truly an excellent doctor. I know why he is in such demand.

After giving Artie the cypro last night, he ate 3/8 cup of food.. yippee!
Nothing this morning. I just gave him 1/4 of a cypro pill.

He is still curled up, on top of his tent. Yes, I have found Poop 'presents' around the house. Nothing I can do about that.
NVet said to slowly introduce his lactulose. I said I was planning on 2 cc today, he said that "YOU GOT IT"...

I will wash his quilt, this week-end.. just spot treat in the meantime.

Now, I am doing a search for his Lactated Ringers. The local pharmacy, which required a script, said that it is out of stock!!!!! They are checking into it and will call me with an update.

If worse comes to worse, I can order it on line, and check out Costco--around here. I do not have a card, but I can see what they say.

CVS and Rite-aid do not know anything about it... kind of stupid..but..
If worse comes to worse, I can always pick up a bag at the RVet, so I have options. I have 3 bags left.. I will open up a new bag this week-end.

I feel so much better.. Thank all you for all your support and suggestions. In reality, I was beside myself yesterday. I felt stressed and overwhelmed.. I trust this Vet. I really do.

Status
Not open for further replies.