Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie is worrying me a bit. It is after 6pm and he has not eaten anything all day!!! This is the longest he has not eaten. 

I will say, that he had a scare.

All of the following happened back to back, at around 4pm:  He peed, then pooped, 6 1/2 x 1/2;  Then he got his cisapride. The med has to be given on an empty stomach.

I picked up his food dish, with food in it, placing it on the counter. I went over to the coach for about 20 minutes. The plan was to give him his food back, remixed with some water. 

I suddenly heard something hit the floor, looked, no Artie. Then I heard a crash, plop.. I jumped up, Artie ran out of the kitchen, ears back.. I was saying, "What did you do? What did you do?"

When I got into the kitchen, his fork was on the floor, the food dish was in a ton of pieces with wet cat food all over the floor, rug, and cabinet door!!!

I was immediately saying, "Out, Bad Boy, Bad bad bad boy"... Of course, he wanted to come in to investigate. I was freaking out that he would get a shard in his paw, or cut his paw.. I kept yelling at him, "Stay out, OUT, Bad, Boy"...

It took he half an hour to pick up the pieces, wipe the food off of things. Then I had to pull out the steamer, get the pad, fill it up, and steam the floor. Artie was trying to see what was going on and wanted new food!!!!!!!

I really had to shoo him out.. I ended up doing a quick mopping of the great room, also.. just because I had the steamer going. 

I finally got a new bowl out, opened up a new can of food... Artie REFUSED it!!!!  I thought that was strange. 

I went back to watch my program. I kept smelling really strong food... I finally went over and smelt the floor. The floor still smelled. I ended up on my hands and knees using lysol peroxide cleaner, rinsing it off, and drying the area. It does not smell now.. It is a normal smell.

I also lit a candle in the main area. 

Artie came back over to his food, but sniffed and walked away... 

I am trying to get him to eat, but he is refusing.. I am a bit concerned.. it is now 12 hours since he last ate.. 

Hoping he gets his appetite back when it turns dark....sigh.. this cat.. 

I really liked that bowl. It was the right size for him, and he liked it also.. Now I am using an oval cat one. 

I have a bunch of small dishes for him, but nothing for the new food. sigh.. 

Seems like there is a black cloud over me, lately.... sigh  nothing but bad stuff happening.. and a lot in a short period of time.. did someone put a bad spell or hex on me?

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No black cloud.  Don't think that way.  

Simon used to do that once in a while, not eat, just hang out or play or tuck himself away behind the bed for a 12 hour nap, then around 2 in the morning we'd hear crunching going on in the dark.

He'll eat when he's calmed down and hungry.

Best thing you can do at this point is keep yourself relaxed and Artie will follow.

Don't be so hard on yourself

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, when bad stuff happens I know it seems that way -- I get really stressed and obsessive! but in reality, looking at the big picture, Artie is doing quite well most of the time, and you are too!  So step back, take a breather, and be patient.  Artie will eat when he gets hungry.  That must have been kind of traumatic for him, the crash and the loud noise and then being told he's a bad boy.

That's why I don't use breakable dishes for my cats.  Some friends wanted to get me to buy "cute" ceramic bowls, but I wouldn't because anything breakable is fair game and I'm the queen of klutz myself.  So I've opted for the stainless bowls from Petco with the fish design and the rubber ring (which doesn't last, but isn't needed) around the bottom.  They are cute, cleanable, and NON-BREAKABLE.  And they're designed well so that cats don't generally get whisker stress from the sides.

My Elvis snorked his lunch and promptly regurgitated it.  I could have told him that might happen!  Later, he came back for more food and I asked him to eat slowly.  He must have, because he hasn't ralphed again. 

No, you're not hexed.  Just having a spot of trouble.  It's hopefully over.  I had something happen last night that I stressed over a lot, because if I hadn't checked my email on my phone, I wouldn't have known about it until it was too late.  As it was, I had to spend a long time talking to 3 different reps to get it sorted out -- and it did get sorted out, but I always want to know "WHY?!!" things happen, and no one does, in this case.  I'm guessing a computer glitch.  Those can be really awful.  Anyway, that crisis is averted and on to the next thing.  

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

Seems like there is a black cloud over me, lately.... sigh  nothing but bad stuff happening.. and a lot in a short period of time.. did someone put a bad spell or hex on me?
Well it is April Fool's Day. 

I agree with others, I'm sure Artie was a tad bit freaked out by the broken food bowl incident. I'm sure when he's completely relaxed and senses you are too he will chow down.  Give it time and enjoy snuggling with your special guy. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Artie will probably sneak some food in the middle of the night, when you aren't looking.  Right now he's just a bit spooked about being told he was a bad boy for trying to eat.  That's the problem with cats -- there's no way to communicate nuance.  First he's not supposed to eat, so the drug can take effect, then he is supposed to eat as much as possible, so which is it?  From the cat's viewpoint, it's just confusing!  So, when in doubt, let the stomach decide!  Which Artie did, with somewhat disastrous consequences.  He'll get over it when he realizes the consequences weren't that disastrous after all, and so will you.

It might help to apologize to Artie about the "bad boy."  It's hard to say how much cats understand, but I'm pretty sure that the way you meant that and the way Artie took it are totally different, and an apology could clear up some of the confusion for him, if he understands it.

Margret

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise

Artie will probably sneak some food in the middle of the night, when you aren't looking.  Right now he's just a bit spooked about being told he was a bad boy for trying to eat.  That's the problem with cats -- there's no way to communicate nuance.  First he's not supposed to eat, so the drug can take effect, then he is supposed to eat as much as possible, so which is it?  From the cat's viewpoint, it's just confusing!  So, when in doubt, let the stomach decide!  Which Artie did, with somewhat disastrous consequences.  He'll get over it when he realizes the consequences weren't that disastrous after all, and so will you.

It might help to apologize to Artie about the "bad boy."  It's hard to say how much cats understand, but I'm pretty sure that the way you meant that and the way Artie took it are totally different, and an apology could clear up some of the confusion for him, if he understands it.

Margret
Now, "I" feel bad for yelling at him and telling him he was a bad boy.. I just did not want him in the kitchen because there were pieces of the dish everywhere, plus food splattered. It would have been just our luck for him to either walk onto a piece of the dish, resulting in a cut paw, or splinter; or start eating the spilt food which would contain shards of the ceramic. Or walk onto the food and have footprints all over the place. 

Times like this, I wish I had a baby gate or door to shut off the kitchen from him....sigh

Last night, Artie did not want to visit me on my lap. Sigh.. I think he was still upset with me. I had to put him on lap twice. He then forgave me and got "happy". 

He just licked a tiny bit of food while I was watching TV. He ate about 1/4 of a can during the night. I woke up to him cuddling me in bed. Just in case his tummy was nausea from all the gastric juices, I gave him some cerenia this morning. 

I am about to give him some food, so wish up luck...

off to church

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

Don't blame yourself for Artie not eating, he will forgive you.  Good luck wishes being sent your way for him to eat some more of his food.  Hopefully by the time you come home from church it will be gone. 

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Went to church. Artie licked just a little bit of food; not much.. He is curled up sleeping.. has been for 2 hours... sigh..

I think I may give him another cycpro... sigh...

Gotta go pick up his meds. and get moving.. 

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Went to church. Artie licked just a little bit of food; not much.. He is curled up sleeping.. has been for 2 hours... sigh..

I think I may give him another cycpro... sigh...

Gotta go pick up his meds. and get moving.. 
Curled up sleeping is GOOD, sleeping for humans and animals gives the body a chance to support healthy brain function and maintain physical health and just overall rejuvenate.

Cat's sleep, it's what they do.  Simon loved to hunker down in a dark warm/cool place (depending on season) and sleep for hours.  Artie's body needs some rest, it's a good thing.  2 hours is nothing.

Don't worry so much.   You should take his lead and get some rest also.  Not so much your body, but your mind has been racing these past 24 hours.  

Be well, treat yourself kindly. xoxoHope - Artie will sleep then get up and eat, I have faith he'll surprise you.

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say hold off a bit on the cycpro for a little longer too.
Give him today, he should get hungry enough to eat on his own.
He's probably still a little Leary. Putting the dish in a different area is a good idea I think. To try at least, & see if it works for him. Is there room, would he eat on his tree?
If he doesn't eat by this evening, then I'd go ahead w/ the cycpro. [emoji]128077[/emoji]
It was just a bad day. Deep breaths & prayer... :hugs:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wishing you both a good day and hoping and praying Artie will do a good job on his food today.  

Is there a way you could just pick him up and close him off in another room when/if something like that happens again? or if you have need to keep him away from something temporarily?  IMHO that's better than telling him he's bad and possibly scaring him.  I try to do this when I need to; I have a room with all feline conveniences that I can put a cat in for this purpose.  That way, they don't feel like they're being punished, and they'll be safe and have all the things they want and need until I let them out in the main part of the house.  Just a suggestion.

HAGD, both of you! 

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well...my suggestion has been given...TWICE!  Move the food bowl.  Cats do form these associations sometimes.  But other than that, all seems to be going well!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I went against your advice.. I apologized to Artie several times. I took him over to the food many times.. I re-steamed the floors.. I brushed him. Still no interest in food.

Before I left the house, at around 12:30pm, I gave him the Cypro.. I could not leave the house, worrying about him.. 

I returned home after 2:30pm. Artie was waiting at the door for me!!!  He followed me into the kitchen where I saw his dish was licked clean.!! He ate 1/4 of a 5 oz can, and was looking for more! I gave him another 1/3. He ate 1/2 of that. 

He is now curled up sleeping.. That is after he inspected the stuff I brought in. He also watched me package something up with bubble wrap, packing tape, and a box (the Bose dock). 

Artie was investigating the bubble wrap. I saw him really get into it, him opening his mouth to bite it, so I said, "Uh-Uh". He stopped and went away. He also wanted the tape that I put on me, but I just ignored him. 

Yes, I should remember to just put him in his 'room'.. Although, he goes crazy if he is in a closed room; crying, banging the door to open it, caterwauling so loud. 

I feel better that he ate a bit. I am also thinking that he has not been doing his 9-10 inch strips of poops. It has been 6 inches. So perhaps he is a bit full. We will see. 

Yes, I need some mental relaxation.. it has been a very stressful week~~ extremely stressful..mentally exhausting.. 

too many things have happened, and not good things..

Hopefully, this is the start of a new week with better happenings!!  It started with the Sun shining and an nice warm day.. 58 degrees.. windows open...enjoying the air. 

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
Now, "I" feel bad for yelling at him and telling him he was a bad boy.. I just did not want him in the kitchen because there were pieces of the dish everywhere, plus food splattered. It would have been just our luck for him to either walk onto a piece of the dish, resulting in a cut paw, or splinter; or start eating the spilt food which would contain shards of the ceramic. Or walk onto the food and have footprints all over the place. 

Times like this, I wish I had a baby gate or door to shut off the kitchen from him....sigh

Last night, Artie did not want to visit me on my lap. Sigh.. I think he was still upset with me. I had to put him on lap twice. He then forgave me and got "happy". 

He just licked a tiny bit of food while I was watching TV. He ate about 1/4 of a can during the night. I woke up to him cuddling me in bed. Just in case his tummy was nausea from all the gastric juices, I gave him some cerenia this morning. 

off to church
That was not my intention.

The thing is, we're talking about inter-species communication here.  Think about that for a minute.  It's astonishing that we can do it at all!  It's guaranteed that we'll get it wrong sometimes, and just because the cat is sick and we really need to get it right is no reason to expect that we always will.  So, when miscommunications happen, the challenge is to have a way to recover from them.  Feeling guilty does nothing to further that goal.  An apology sometimes does, and that's all that I was saying.

You've been doing almost nothing but take care of Artie for, how many months now?  Since before Christmas, at least.  You go to church, you take care of Artie, you stress about Artie, you look for ways to pay the bills, you stress about the bills, occasionally you sleep and eat, and that's about it.  And every time Artie has a minor blip in his schedule you start looking for a way to blame yourself.  This is perfectly natural -- it's easier to blame ourselves than to just say "Stuff happens," because if it was somehow your fault then it's fixable.  That does not mean that blaming yourself is realistic!!!   So do whatever works to heal the communication errors, and move on.  And if you can find a way to enjoy some music, watch a movie, or read a good book, do it, and enjoy yourself.  It will be healing for your spirit, and if you're less stressed then Artie is less stressed.  And I shouldn't have to tell you to do it for Artie's sake, you should be doing it for your own sake.

Margret

Last edited:

achristine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok.. so I just read through this entire thread. Woah. Poor Artie. I wish you both luck and sanity. Cats can sure pick up when we are stressed [emoji]128553[/emoji]. The only advice I have for you and Artie is to live in the moment. Good luck you two; good vibes sent your way

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Ok.. so I just read through this entire thread. Woah. Poor Artie. I wish you both luck and sanity. Cats can sure pick up when we are stressed [emoji]128553[/emoji]. The only advice I have for you and Artie is to live in the moment. Good luck you two; good vibes sent your way
Thanks for reading the entire thread.. that was a major undertaking. It has been a saga. But Artie is so much improved that he was in December. 

I do get stressed very easily. It is just me. I have been like that my entire life. Artie is my stress reliever.  It is hard to live in the moment.  Goodness knows, I have gotten that advice so many times! Thank you for the good vibes.

Morning Sunshine.  How's our boy doing today.

I hope you're stress free ready to start a new week.  

Nothing but positive thoughts today...  That's an order.

xoxohope
I am certainly going to try to have a semi-non stress week. 

The sun is out, shining brightly.. It is not late morning. Artie was cuddling with me all night. He stayed on my lap even while I was talking to a friend on the phone. He hates me talking on the phone. He usually jumps off, but this time he was insistent on staying on my lap. Even when I got up to get something, he jumped back on my lap, immediately--- while I was still on the phone! He just wanted me... and he was so, so, so Happy!!!  I had to stop him a few times. His claws are kind of scratching my belly!!! After a few times, it is not comfortable..

Artie followed me to bed also. As soon as I got in bed, he was there cuddling me to sleep. I woke up to him cuddling.. sweet boy.

He has been very skittish and shy since last week: the echo, ekg, and me yelling at him. Noises and sudden movement both by myself and the TV are bothering him. 

He ate well last night, about 1/2 of a can. He is refusing the new food, lamb/lamb liver. That variety was in the dish that he broke. He is eating the lamb with duck liver. So he is ok. He make just need a change. 

Gotta get going... just a quick look around the rest of this site, and I am off...

Keep checking on April the Giraffe to see what is happening to her. The baby had gotten larger from Saturday to Sunday. I can really see it kicking her. Waiting on a Giraffe birth!!  

Status
Not open for further replies.