Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Went to the grocery store to stock up on a ton of stuff.. much more than I usually get. People were coughing all over the store!! I am glad they have Purell wipes so we can wipe down the carts, but how much is that going to help if people are coughing??
:yeah: I hear ya, I do the same exact thing, i.e. use the sanitizer wipes at the store to wipe down the handle of the carts. But it never fails, the person behind me in the checkout line starts coughing and doesn't cover their mouth. :rolleyes: I don't know how anyone can eat the free samples they leave out. All you have to do is watch people reach their hands in not once or twice but several times while coughing or sneezing - yuck!

I hope you don't come down with a bug and get some more cuddle time in with Artie today, minus the soft poops on the quilt. :hugs:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
The sun is out, it is record warmth here, all my windows and balcony door is open to let the warmth in..57 degree!!!

Artie had more poops everywhere, yesterday.. a couple on the coffee table. Found a bit on the cardboard of his cat tree, and a bit on the side of the tree.. poor baby..

I think the Koha food or was it the 'Treats" were too much for him. Back to Fancy Feast today.. and the dry food. No miralax both yesterday and today.

I have ton of trash to throw out ~~ from cleaning up.. each time I found a poop spot, I used a plastic bag, a glove, Nature's Miracle, paper towels.. also had to throw out his puppy pads since they were soiled, also..

Poor baby.

Despite all of this, his spirits are still strong.
Artie was cuddling all night with me.. first on my lap, and then in bed. Artie even walked into my bedroom, BEFORE me... I was about 20 steps behind him. He could not wait to cuddle ...

I did 4 loads of laundry yesterday.. I put 2 of them away. I have to fold and put the rest away today.. and do my bath towels.

Gorgeous day outside: 57 degrees, at 11AM, sunny, no breeze.. absolutely beautiful!
The two windows are open, as is the balcony door. Artie is loving it..

Just warming up the sub-q bag, for the second time. After the sub-q's, I will make my bed, shower, and do some errands.. Wish this weather would be the 'low' for the winter..
Alas, colder temps are arriving on Thursday and Friday.. sigh

And --- not bad on the noise, the past couple of days.. yes, some drilling, some banging, but nothing as before..

I think I am going to take a chance and check out the weather on the balcony.. yes, in my socks and pj's... after the sub-q's.. do not want to disturb a sleepy Artie, before it.
I always wait until he is quiet, and settled in place. Things go so much easier for both of us.. although, Artie has become so good at taking his meds.. all of them.

I also wonder if Artie is so in-tuned with his body and how things effect him.

The president of the humane society told me to listen to my cat.. to listen to all of them, they will tell you what is wrong and what is good and bad for them....

Artie hated the lactulose, even though it aided him with his constipation. He was a bear to medicate. It eventually caused his hypercalcemia.. wonder...

Artie is now refusing the fur ball treats-- all of them.. and I have tried 3.
I wonder if he is sensing that it is bad for him??

If it is, I hope he will get that 6th sense with the 'junk' food..

He does love his Meow Mix treats and the Shrimp Temptations treats.. wish he would eat the 'good' treats..

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Artie, who knows what is bothering his stomach, and I imagine him wondering what's wrong :(:(:(
Cats are clean pets, I can only imagine their frustration when they can't help "leaving traces" all over due to a physical condition, it must be a shame to them.

Gorgeous day outside: 57 degrees, at 11AM, sunny, no breeze.. absolutely beautiful!
The two windows are open, as is the balcony door. Artie is loving it..
Wish this weather would be the 'low' for the winter..
Alas, colder temps are arriving on Thursday and Friday.. sigh
Over here today it is fine and mild too, but the forecasts are for a Siberian cold wave at the end of the week, with temperature possibly down to -12°C / 14°F !!!
I was already waiting for a better weather... and Pallina was waiting too :(

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eating is good. Affection is good. Loving open windows is good! Hope Artie stabilizes and feels better, and that you have a respite from hauling out the Nature's Miracle. Antonio65 Antonio65 is right, of course -- cats are the cleanest beings, much cleaner than humans could ever dream of being! and it must sort of impinge on their personal dignity when these things happen. But hey, everyone has "accidents" -- it's part of life. I'm with you on the supermarket/public gauntlet -- I really loathe having to go out into crowds of who-knows-what in terms of the grunge people are shedding on unsuspecting people! That's why I do my shopping online when possible and yes, going to the grocery store leads to a round of hand-washing when I reach home. I know people who don't cover their mouths and who don't wash their hands when they should, and it bugs me! but to each his own, you know (just wish it really WAS "to each his own" instead of "don't care who else you expose to your germs"). I've had people look at me like I'm way out of line for even suggesting they cover their mouths. Eeeh! :sigh:
Praying and hoping for Artie to feel much better! and for you to have a relaxing day together.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, Artie was refusing to use his quilt, after the pooparama from Monday. I had cleaned up all the poopy areas with Natures Miracle, and placed down new puppy pads; however, he was still refusing it. He was preferring my bed..
Ok.. I said to myself.

Artie gave me a scare, early evening. I last remember seeing him, finishing up the last of his Fancy Feast Chopped Grill. I was in my bedroom, just picking up a bit, putting clothes away. I did my evening stuff.. pj's, etc..
I Was in recliner, had not seen Artie for a while. I thought that was strange. I called him, looked in the quilt/tent, under the bed, behind and under the furniture.

I called him ~~ nothing. I had one of the laundry alcove door open, in order to dry out the front load washer, before I closed the door. The dryer was running. I even looked in the washer, and on the side of it, where the water tank is located.

I took out the treat bags, started shaking them, Calling: "Artie, Artie, Artie" ~~ nothing!!!

I even went outside the apartment, into the corridor, shaking the bag, calling his name..
Although, when and how he would have gone out, would have been a magic trick.
NOTHING... could not find him anywhere.

I did not go into the store room, nor the hall closet, so where could he be..

Finally I opened my closet door.. Yup, Artie was in there!!! He ran like a bat out of Heck...
Yelling at me, the entire time. He was so wound up.. I had to grab him, hung him..
Artie wanted no part of me!!! He was furious at me..

Artie had been locked in my room, for over 90 minutes!! in the dark!!

Of course he had to walk around the apartment a million times, pacing-- to make sure nothing had changed..

Me, feeling guilty, I gave him a bunch of treats... sigh...

The treats spoiled his appetite for food. He refused his Sheba Seafood Pate.. and his Dry Fiber Response!!!!

Then he proceeded to stick like glue to me the rest of the evening/night...

Artie did get back at me.. He began waking me up at 3AM for Food!!! Yup, FOOOD..
Never mind he had 1/2 cup of dry and one of the half packs of the Seafood Feast Pate...
He did eat the Pate.. and nibbled at the dry..

Artie was waking me up, even half hour, from 3AM on..

Finally I got up early..Artie was still stuck like glue to me. I opened up some Purina Salmon. He ate over 1/3 can.. and is now ontop of my bed, sleeping..

I am washing his quilt, again... second time in 3 days. sigh..

I am tired.. getting sleep deprived..

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Finally I opened my closet door.. Yup, Artie was in there!!! He ran like a bat out of Heck...
Yelling at me, the entire time. He was so wound up.. I had to grab him, hung him..
Sometimes I think they can dematerialize, turn into a gas or a vapor, slip under the doors and rematierialize on the other side of the door, unable to perform the same trick to get out of locked room!
Otherwise I might not explain how they can get locked themselves in places where we did not go :)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby's gone missing in my house a couple times. One time I looked everywhere. And shook the treats bag. No Ruby. Started to get scared. Then checked the front porch closet. And there she was! I'd gone outside for a sec, and somehow she must have slithered in and then been camouflaged amongst the shoes when I looked the first time. It's a scary feeling, though, when you know they're in the house, but you can't find them.
Glad Artie's doing well, other than the "presents". Hopefully he'll let you sleep all night tonight. :catlove:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've managed to shut my cats in closets and on one occasion Kiwi was missing for an hour. Like yourself I searched every room, under beds etc then started to panic. Pickle was paying a lot of attention to the deep drawer I keep my printing paper in and yep, there was Kiwi fast asleep, not a care in the world. How the drawer was closed I will never know.
Artie cant blame himself, cats are never in the wrong, so he blames you and makes you pay by depriving you of your much needed sleep. What would we do without them.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Finally I opened my closet door.. Yup, Artie was in there!!! He ran like a bat out of Heck...Yelling at me, the entire time. He was so wound up.. I had to grab him, hung him. Artie wanted no part of me!!! He was furious at me..Artie had been locked in my room, for over 90 minutes!! in the dark!!
I think so many of us can relate to this situation. :agree: Carleton can somehow wiggle his way into the closet even when I think I've been careful. The same thing happened once when I couldn't find him anywhere and thought he was sleeping peacefully. Just like you, after calling his name and looking everywhere I opened the closet door and he came rushing out like a bat out of hell. :D

Sorry about feeling sleep deprived. I hope you can catch a few winks today and get your energy back. :hugs:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
:gaah::gaah::gaah:

Artie has another issue!!!! :gaah::gaah::gaah::gaah: :noway::noway::noway:

I have had a feeling, for a couple weeks, that he is not feeling well.
Usually, after having his breakfast, he will jump on top of his cat tree and vegg out, waiting for me to brush him.

The past couple of weeks; After breakfast, Artie will run into his tent, or on top of the quilt.. the past few days, he has been on top of my bed. I have to literally call him to
"Get Brushed".. then he will walk over to his cat tree.

Today, He was on my bed. I gave him his steroid. He automatically went over to his cat tree..

On the way to his tree, he stopped and scratched the daylights out of his head. I had just
Swiffered the laminate floor, so not fur bunnies around. I found a clump of fur..

While Brushing him, I discovered a 1 x 1 inch patch of fur missing from the top of his
Head!!! OMG.. and there were scratch marks on the skin.

Artie pulled out his fur.. OMG!!:help:

I think it is due to his chicken allergy.. :bawling2:
I have been giving him some treats also.. yup, chicken.. He absolutely refuses the good for you treats!!! :bat:

I think his allergy is intensified by the treats, and coming out by having very itchy skin.
I noticed him scratching himself and grooming a lot, over the past month. Seeing a ton of fur kitties all over the place.

:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling2: :bawling2: I do not know what to do.

I did leave a message for the NVet. However, I know exactly what he is going to say:
It is from the chicken allergy.. stop the treats. watch it and see. :frustrated::frustrated::frustrated::headshake::headshake:
I just wanted him to be aware of it...

Hopefully, this is not the beginning of an immune response breakdown of his system..

Gut feeling, it is..

If only he would eat the good food... then we would have the megacolon issues..

Yup, Artie is in system failure... slowly..

:bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling::bawling2::bawling2::bawling2::bawling2::bawling2::bawling2::bawling2::headshake::headshake::headshake::headshake::headshake::headshake:

Kind of what I was seeing with my Dad, before he was officially on hospice care.. one thing after another was popping up..

Artie: IBD, then Megacolon, then hypercalcemia, then elevated BUN, then the Mast Cell tumor on his skin.. Now the dermatologic reaction to the chicken allergy.. wonder what that is doing to what we cannot see... like his colon...

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The steroid should be keeping him from itching and scratching from his allergy, and preventing inflammation in his bowels.
But like I said earlier it also suppresses his immune system so he can't fight issues and infection off. It's very mixed. Maybe he could be on a different steroid. My cat who's allergic to everything is fine on a different steroid than Prednisone. Stopped him scratching his fur out and getting raw bloody wounds everywhere from his allergies
Try not to panic until you talk to n vet, and ask about the steroid. It may not be a new issue but an exacerbation of an existing one. If you feed him things he's allergic to of course he'll react. It's tough to balance what's good for them with what they love.

My dog has food allergies and I've been forcing him to eat his prescription food for an hour every night. He hates it so I nag him, force him, spoonfeed him, everything. Ran out the other day so I bought two cans of his old food. He inhaled it happily in seconds no nagging! No diarrhea so I bought two weeks worth as an experiment, we'll see how his ibd does.
Just hang in there.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday, Artie was refusing to use his quilt, after the pooparama from Monday. I had cleaned up all the poopy areas with Natures Miracle, and placed down new puppy pads; however, he was still refusing it. He was preferring my bed..
Ok.. I said to myself.

Artie gave me a scare, early evening. I last remember seeing him, finishing up the last of his Fancy Feast Chopped Grill. I was in my bedroom, just picking up a bit, putting clothes away. I did my evening stuff.. pj's, etc..
I Was in recliner, had not seen Artie for a while. I thought that was strange. I called him, looked in the quilt/tent, under the bed, behind and under the furniture.

I called him ~~ nothing. I had one of the laundry alcove door open, in order to dry out the front load washer, before I closed the door. The dryer was running. I even looked in the washer, and on the side of it, where the water tank is located.

I took out the treat bags, started shaking them, Calling: "Artie, Artie, Artie" ~~ nothing!!!

I even went outside the apartment, into the corridor, shaking the bag, calling his name..
Although, when and how he would have gone out, would have been a magic trick.
NOTHING... could not find him anywhere.

I did not go into the store room, nor the hall closet, so where could he be..

Artie had been locked in my room, for over 90 minutes!! in the dark!!

Of course he had to walk around the apartment a million times, pacing-- to make sure nothing had changed..

Me, feeling guilty, I gave him a bunch of treats... sigh...

The treats spoiled his appetite for food. He refused his Sheba Seafood Pate.. and his Dry Fiber Response!!!!

Then he proceeded to stick like glue to me the rest of the evening/night...

Artie did get back at me.. He began waking me up at 3AM for Food!!! Yup, FOOOD..
Never mind he had 1/2 cup of dry and one of the half packs of the Seafood Feast Pate...
He did eat the Pate.. and nibbled at the dry..

Artie was waking me up, even half hour, from 3AM on..

Finally I got up early..Artie was still stuck like glue to me. I opened up some Purina Salmon. He ate over 1/3 can.. and is now ontop of my bed, sleeping..

I am washing his quilt, again... second time in 3 days. sigh..

I am tired.. getting sleep deprived..
OMC! Have we had experience with "Cheshire Cats"! You name it, I've probably had a cat hide there. Kinoko-chan would crawl under a dresser that had NO clearance. Didn't matter. She did it anyway. Corrie would get under another dresser, likewise, and under my dad's desk on one side, ditto. And closet-hiding? I can't name the cats who've done this! Now, I have a lot of closets in this house, so I have to be VERY careful. And then there's Tarifa's favorite hiding place, in back of/behind my dad's lounge chair, inside of it. Now that I know this, of course, it's the first place I look when I can't find her. They do love to keep us on our toes, don't they? :devilcat2:
As for the rest, I know it's natural to be concerned. But try not to be worried. Artie is in the best of care and surrounded by love. :redcat:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Artie's Army..
Love to all of you..
Yes, I did hear from NVet, regarding the fur loss.

He does not feel it is from a chicken allergy. He said to just keep an eye on it; try not to touch it, and see what happens.. He was rushed, so I could not go into detail.

I never had a cat who had skin issues, or did this. It is new for me. Is this what they call a 'hot spot'.. knowing Artie with all his problems.. I wonder..

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Artie's Army..
Love to all of you..
Yes, I did hear from NVet, regarding the fur loss.

He does not feel it is from a chicken allergy. He said to just keep an eye on it; try not to touch it, and see what happens.. He was rushed, so I could not go into detail.

I never had a cat who had skin issues, or did this. It is new for me. Is this what they call a 'hot spot'.. knowing Artie with all his problems.. I wonder..
I've ever had to deal with anything like it. Did NVet suggest putting anything on it to sort of moisturize it? Would fish oil (human grade) rubbed on it work?

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I've ever had to deal with anything like it. Did NVet suggest putting anything on it to sort of moisturize it? Would fish oil (human grade) rubbed on it work?
No, he did not.. which sounds kind of strange; but he is the type of vet who is not wiling to jump to mediation or jump to conclusions.. I am just going to do a watch and see..

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The scratching of the fur until they're bald sounds like an allergy issue. My Katie (deaf white cat around 7) has a severe flea allergy. Every spring she will groom and bite and scratch herself until her skin is crusty with scabs. The last time we were in, the vet said she was surprised the patch at the base of her tail had actually grown back because of the damage she had done to the hair follicles. It's terrible. I can't tell you how many times I've cleaned blood off her or applied medicine to a hot spot.

The problem with Katie is that she will not take medicine. She is semi feral, so I will be beat bloody trying to get her to take a single Benedryl tablet or liquids. Then she acts like I've poisoned her! Drooling and complaining until she decides that everything is alright.

The last time we went in, I told the vet that I didn't think it could be fleas. I've never seen a flea on her, she gets regular treatments, everything. The vet said it only takes one for some cats to trigger a reaction. What I mean to say by this is that Artie's over grooming and scratching could be caused by anything. Chicken? Environmental? Flea? New food? Literally, anything.

The vet gave Katie a long lasting shot that had both a steroid and an antibiotic in it. The antibiotic lasted for 2 weeks and the steroid for between 4-6 weeks. She was right as rain within a few days and I didn't have to put her or I through the trauma of medicating every single day. The difference has been amazing. She is a normal, non-itchy cat for the moment. I know that will change the first time the fleas come back this spring.

It is very much something that is wait and see. It might be solve by elimination of things one by one until you find what is causing the issue.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, to me, it was automatically an allergy issue.. the problem is: Artie is a junk food cat.. I have been trying, unsuccessfully, for many years to switch him to novel protein food ~~ nothing with chicken, which he is allergic to.

Since today is Thursday; discovered the fur loss yesterday, I will give it until Monday, and get back to NVet.. I will let it go for a bit.. unless I see more patches of fur loss..

He may take to a food for a short period of time.. like 6 weeks, then he tires of it, or gets sick-to his mind- from it..

His Regular Vet and the Specialist cannot believe that Artie is the rare type of cat who will Refuse ALL food, if it is not something he wants. He will seriously refuse to eat ~~ he will lose weight, even going over 24 hours without eating. Yes, he is that stubborn.

Also, when he eats Novel protein food, anything without chicken, his Megacolon issues come into play.

Artie cannot take lactulose anymore. He is already taking cisapride and miralax.
The Lactulose, elevates his blood calcium levels. It was very elevated a couple months ago. We took him off the lactulose, and switched him back to the junk food. His poops are softer, due to the chicken allergy...

The chicken allergy is helping his megacolon, but not his allergies.. the allergic reaction is helping him to poop, but not doing good for the rest of his body.. it is so complicated...

Only the people who have been following this saga, from the beginning know the heartbreak I have been going through with him.. Also, he seems to be coming down with more issues: He has a heart murmur, a heart arrhythmia, IBD, MegaColon, hypercalcemia,
a small lesion on his lung, a skin mass--most likely mast cell tumor, last month noted a slightly elevated Creatnine level...and now the fur loss...

While making up this list.. it is really a wonder that he is still alive.

I know the NVet did not want to alarm me further.. hoping against hope that this current issue is not going to worsen...

I bought some Vetrysin Spray for the area.. This morning, it seems a bit larger.

For food, I gave him some Fancy Feast, plain. He needs his miralax, which is mixed in with his food. His poop was tiny and hard, this morning.
After he ate his breakfast, I added some W/D food into the mix.. just a tiny bit. We will see if he will eat it.. he had refused it a few weeks ago.

No more treats for him... perhaps that added to his fur loss? I gave it to him because
NVet said it was ok.. I am thinking the Nvet is thinking, to give Artie anything he wants because he is so sick... kind of end of life stuff.. and I am not going crazy with that idea...
Just look at his list of issues...

If I am writing this as a blog, I apologize..

Artie ate really good yesterday.. the most he has for a long time.. 2 small cans of food, and a tiny bit of the Fiber Response dry. NO poops yesterday.

This morning, I woke up to find he had eaten 1/2 cup of FR dry!!! that is a ton for him.
Tiny hard poop.. needs more miralax, although he had a lot of junk food, so his bowels should be a bit softer, tomorrow.. or later today.

He ate 1/3 can of FF this morning.. and is now curled up on my bed.. a new spot for him.

Artie cuddled all night.. like a straight jacket.. each time I moved, he moved with me.
He had to be in physical contact with me..

Gotta go...
Thanks for reading and understanding..

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has a heart murmur, a heart arrhythmia, IBD, MegaColon, hypercalcemia,
a small lesion on his lung, a skin mass--most likely mast cell tumor, last month noted a slightly elevated Creatnine level...and now the fur loss...
Can you please remind me about his lesion of the lung?

I think I'm not wrong if I say that Artie is the soul of this Forum. I'm sure that every member, even for just one off time, has read this thread.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Antonio65 Antonio65 YOU are the heart and soul of this forum.. I mean it.. Your dedication to both Lola and Pallina is exemplary.. and awe inspiring..

Artie's lung lesion was discovered almost a year ago.. as an incidental finding, on a chest x-ray. The NVet felt it was probably a cancerous lesion; however, me being a former x-ray tech, I felt in my heart that it was just an incidental finding of a normal adenoma.. These are very common in humans.. so if it is common in humans, why can't it be common in cats???? This is my way of rationalizing things..

We never pursued the issue, as Artie has never had respiratory issues..

I am just thinking the NVet is preparing me.. it seems that as all these lumps, masses pop up, the NVet is just thinking that it they are offshoots of cancer..

Me, being a professional hospital worker, my entire life, X-ray Tech and then Ultrasound Tech, and taking care of my parents, especially my dad.. I have seen a ton of stuff... not only in my parents, but in other people.. I know there are a lot of normal incidental findings, and there are the metastatic ones, also..

Status
Not open for further replies.