Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brrr! Really cold out there!

Artie might not be at his best, but consider his conditions, he might be not too hungry sometimes.

Have you tried cooking him something totally new? Maybe a new recipe, made from the heart of his mom, would entice him more.

Hopefully the NVet is back to office now, holidays are over (even over here!) and everything should fully work!
Come on Artie, be good, it's Christmas, give your Mom a wonderful present, I know you have it hidden somewhere and are waiting the right moment to give it to her. Well, that moment is NOW! ;)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you all so much for the happy wishes..

Looking back, who would have even thought we would still be here, a year later..
It has been a year of many tears, joys, love and support from everyone here at TCS... There are so many people I want to thank, I cannot remember all... It is due to this entire community..

Mostly, @Anne for allowing me to have this thread going for as long as it has... Thank you, from the bottom of my heart. I honestly do not know what I would have done without the support and love from this community..and advice..and NVet has come into our lives because of this website.. and helped keep Artie alive. I will always be grateful for that..

I have made many new friends here. I feel as if I can discuss anything..and express my feelings: good, bad, indifferent, and receive love in return...

thank You all so much!!!

View attachment 211630
Artie is looking handsome as always! I always love seeing pictures of him. :lovecat:I’m so glad to hear that he’s feeling well.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Brrr! Really cold out there!

Artie might not be at his best, but consider his conditions, he might be not too hungry sometimes.

Have you tried cooking him something totally new? Maybe a new recipe, made from the heart of his mom, would entice him more.

Hopefully the NVet is back to office now, holidays are over (even over here!) and everything should fully work!
Come on Artie, be good, it's Christmas, give your Mom a wonderful present, I know you have it hidden somewhere and are waiting the right moment to give it to her. Well, that moment is NOW! ;)
Yes, NVEt is back to his normal schedule.

As far as Artie eating "People" food.. He never really craved it or even cared for it.

Of course, when he was on his restricted diet, he was a terrible to deal with, when I had tuna fish or any fish.. Yesterday, I made a tuna sandwich; Artie did not bother me at all for it. It seems that as long as he has it in his 'junk' food, that is good enough for him.

He does not really care for people food: except for Delicatessen sliced White American Cheese~ He loves it!!

Not chancing human chicken on him ~~ allergy.. I dislike turkey, beef, he never seemed to care for.. Even the human tuna, he never cared for.. I do have a can of sardines, just in case, and a small can of human salmon, just in case.... but he does not care for people food...

Not even whipped cream---butter, yes... eggs, no.....cream cheese, no...

I do know, for a fact, that he was raised with and ate the cheapest grocery store food,
for 8 years of his life... old habits are very hard to change.

He seems to like the Purina foods and Fancy Feast.

Just taking a quick break before I give him his sub-q's...

He was so funny this morning. I got a 'grab' gift of a Christmas mug, stuffed with chocolate truffles, wrapped in cellophane, tied with a beautiful bow, and a large jingle bell.

Artie fell in love with the bell.. all he had to do was hear the crinkling, and then the bell!!
He ran over to me. I threw the bell down, he was chasing after it!! We did play for a couple of minutes like that.. now the bell in on the floor for his enjoyment, until I go to bed!!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
With regards to your thanks to the members of TCS, it is all of us who would like to thank you. :thanks: We have rallied and rooted for Artie and you making our bond even stronger. Too late now, no going back, we are here for you always.

Glad to hear Artie was in good spirits yesterday and enjoyed having you home by his side. I'm sure you feel better just knowing NVet is back to his normal schedule. Hope you enjoy your lunch date today inspite of the cold temps. It was -3 this morning without the windchill so I can relate to your concern about starting the car, etc. Stay warm and be well. :hugs:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems that as long as he has it in his 'junk' food, that is good enough for him.
:lol: Sorry, but this line made me ROTFL! :flail:

I do know, for a fact, that he was raised with and ate the cheapest grocery store food,
for 8 years of his life... old habits are very hard to change.
Yes, what they grow up with when they are kitten becomes the best thing in their life, even if it's junk!

Artie fell in love with the bell.. all he had to do was hear the crinkling, and then the bell!!
He ran over to me. I threw the bell down, he was chasing after it!! We did play for a couple of minutes like that.. now the bell in on the floor for his enjoyment, until I go to bed!!
What a lovely scene I see before my eyes :)
That's so nice when they play even in adult years and when they are not too well, isn't it?
Pallina and Lola stopped playing with bells, balls and toys many years ago. I still have toys around the house, but they would be always in the same position, if it wasn't for me that kick them every now and then...

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With regards to your thanks to the members of TCS, it is all of us who would like to thank you. :thanks: We have rallied and rooted for Artie and you making our bond even stronger. Too late now, no going back, we are here for you always.

I'll second that. We are all here for the long haul.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On to an Artie Update:

I took a long break from the web.. I was exhausted from Christmas and all.

I think Artie was glad to have me home, doing nothing. He has been having soft poops, cow patties, and leaving a ton of one inch 'presents' and smears all over the place.

I cut out the colace (stool softener) for a couple of days. I was so afraid of doing so, because NVet was not in, for a week--personal reasons, and the holiday was here. I may have overdosed him a bit with the miralax.

I cut out the miralax for one day.. back to normal last night and today. Will give a colace today ~~ his stool yesterday was turning harder; and no poop this morning.. which is unusual. He usually poops as soon as I get up.. he wakes me up for poop!!!

Artie was in good spirits yesterday. I spent the day, sitting on my butt, binge watching a TV series..
Artie was just hanging out...

I really need to get him back into eating the prescription food, at least on a rotational basis, with the junk food. He is eating too much fish.. but he cannot have chicken...I am staying away from it. I tried venison--no go; I tried duck yesterday--good initially, but then refused.. sigh..

Left out a choice of the end of the Fancy Feast Classic salmon, along with some Fiber Response Dry food and a bit of the W/D wet.. he ate them all.. so, going to try the same tactic tonight..

I bought some chunky food, by mistake.. turkey.. Artie lapped up the juice, leaving the meat...even with me trying to mash it up...sigh..

Going out today for a luncheon date with a friend.. do not really want to go.. too much overindulging over Christmas... but she is insisting.. so I have to go..

Have to see if my car will start.. It is freezing cold outside, 14 degrees when I woke up.. I forgot to run the car yesterday.. will try soon.

Artie is sunning himself... waiting for me to give him his steroid, and then brush and playtime...

love to all..
I'm not sure whether or not this one has ingredients Artie can't have, but have you checked into Blue Buffalo "RED MEAT FEAST"? It's quite a mixed grill and has buffalo as one of the meats. My three LOVE it. It is flaked, but not in gravy, and my cats love the texture. When I feed this, they snork it up. It is quite expensive, but worth it to know they love it so much and it is good for them. It's grain free and available through Drs. Foster & Smith and Petco, and undoubtedly other places as well.
Love the pic of very handsome Tubcat Artie!!! in his black tie and tails. So adorable!
Well, hey, it's the time of the year to celebrate, and it probably won't hurt anything to let go for a couple more days, right? Hope you enjoy your lunch with your friend.
Sounds like Artie is mainly doing well. And that makes us ALL want to celebrate!
Wishing you both all the best for the day/evening and beyond. :vibes::redcat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He ran over to me. I threw the bell down, he was chasing after it!!
I just love it when Artie is feeling well enough to really enjoy play sessions! He's such a remarkable spirit, isn't he?

He seems to like the Purina foods and Fancy Feast.
TELL me about it. I have spent a small fortune trying to get Hekitty on SOMETHING decent, but she will go on a hunger strike if her Friskies kibble isn't in her dish. I always cave on the third day, with a huge fear of Fatty Liver Disease looming in my brain! Pestiferous pussycats.

it is all of us who would like to thank you. :thanks: We have rallied and rooted for Artie and you making our bond even stronger. Too late now, no going back, we are here for you always.
:yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah::yeah:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys for keeping us in your thoughts.
We are doing ok.. Artie is still eating, playing... and pooping!

Over the Christmas holiday, I guess I was afraid of Artie getting constipated, because I was not home, so I think I gave him too much miralax. I was getting, large presents, smears, junk all over the place. He was not comfortable either: tons of gas.

I cut back on the miralax and eliminated the colace for a few days~~ what happened? He did not poop for 2 days!! Back to the colace and miralax.. He pooped 7 x 1/2 inch this morning. A bit soft at the end, so cutting back on the miralax a bit, and no colace today.

I am thinking, that this month is a guessing game with the new protocol and his junk food eating. I am thinking about giving the colace, every other day, while keeping the miralax constant.. Just a thought..

Artie is playing.. in fact, after he got his first meds, and his food, he was ready to play with his ball... I was having my coffee..

I finally had to stop, brush him, and play a bit. Currently, he is on the coach.. waiting for me to get up... He is loving any salmon cat food, Fancy Feast beef and the chopped grill--these I can mix a bit of the W/D food at night, because they are meat based. Cannot do that with the fish. Wish I could get him away from the fish... but at least it is salmon..that is a bit better for him, with the Omega stuff..

I gave him a can of Purina white fish, this morning.. he is refusing it!!!! OMG!!! When I leave, I think I will leave out the leftovers of the dry food from last night..

I was planning on giving him Purina Beef with veggies tonight.

He is eating about 1/3 of the prescription Fiber Response food, during the night. Grateful for that.. it has the extra fiber that he needs.

Artie has taken to sleeping on my pillow.. I know I am a restless sleeper.. so this is ok, until I turn and get a face-full of fur!!! The past few days, he has come over to me, before I physically get out of bed, when I call his name... and then he follows me around the house, opening things up... talking to me..

A few days ago, I weighed him. He is back to 10.1 lbs.. he feels heavy, but I guess I was getting used to his low weight of 9.4 lbs. So glad he has regained a bit.

Really need to start putting away the Christmas stuff, cleaning, and trimming Artie's claws... he hates that, especially the back ones.. those are a real battle..but I manage.

Artie is back to being very vocal~~~ we are constantly talking to each other!! so strange, but I think it is so cute.. between his meows, hrumps, trills when he jumps on my lap or bed, and me trying to imitate him...well, if anyone heard us, they would definitely think I needed a padded cell....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys for keeping us in your thoughts.
We are doing ok.. Artie is still eating, playing... and pooping!

Over the Christmas holiday, I guess I was afraid of Artie getting constipated, because I was not home, so I think I gave him too much miralax. I was getting, large presents, smears, junk all over the place. He was not comfortable either: tons of gas.

I cut back on the miralax and eliminated the colace for a few days~~ what happened? He did not poop for 2 days!! Back to the colace and miralax.. He pooped 7 x 1/2 inch this morning. A bit soft at the end, so cutting back on the miralax a bit, and no colace today.

I am thinking, that this month is a guessing game with the new protocol and his junk food eating. I am thinking about giving the colace, every other day, while keeping the miralax constant.. Just a thought..

Artie is playing.. in fact, after he got his first meds, and his food, he was ready to play with his ball... I was having my coffee..

I finally had to stop, brush him, and play a bit. Currently, he is on the coach.. waiting for me to get up... He is loving any salmon cat food, Fancy Feast beef and the chopped grill--these I can mix a bit of the W/D food at night, because they are meat based. Cannot do that with the fish. Wish I could get him away from the fish... but at least it is salmon..that is a bit better for him, with the Omega stuff..

I gave him a can of Purina white fish, this morning.. he is refusing it!!!! OMG!!! When I leave, I think I will leave out the leftovers of the dry food from last night..

I was planning on giving him Purina Beef with veggies tonight.

He is eating about 1/3 of the prescription Fiber Response food, during the night. Grateful for that.. it has the extra fiber that he needs.

Artie has taken to sleeping on my pillow.. I know I am a restless sleeper.. so this is ok, until I turn and get a face-full of fur!!! The past few days, he has come over to me, before I physically get out of bed, when I call his name... and then he follows me around the house, opening things up... talking to me..

A few days ago, I weighed him. He is back to 10.1 lbs.. he feels heavy, but I guess I was getting used to his low weight of 9.4 lbs. So glad he has regained a bit.

Really need to start putting away the Christmas stuff, cleaning, and trimming Artie's claws... he hates that, especially the back ones.. those are a real battle..but I manage.

Artie is back to being very vocal~~~ we are constantly talking to each other!! so strange, but I think it is so cute.. between his meows, hrumps, trills when he jumps on my lap or bed, and me trying to imitate him...well, if anyone heard us, they would definitely think I needed a padded cell....
None of my cats has ever liked whitefish, I don't think. Salmon is definitely a high-quality fish and since it's rich in oils, it is probably helpful to Artie's alimentary system.
Yeah, it's quite a challenge getting the amount and frequency of each of the meds right, isn't it? That's GREAT that he's gained a lot of his weight back, don't you agree? It was exciting to read that.
Here's to a healthy, happy, thriving 2018 Artie! and a happy, confident, positive 2018 Cindy! With Artie's health team and his Army, you definitely have a lot of support in your corner! :yess::redcat:

Status
Not open for further replies.