Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, Artie's Army!

I see that Cindy has already posted, so I'll just add a couple of details, at her request.

For the last month or so, management in Cindy's apartment building has been renovating, in the most aggravating way possible. This has been extremely hard on both Cindy and Artie, and the stress has complicated an already difficult situation for Artie. The last few days have been something of a roller coaster emotionally for Cindy, especially after the night when Artie snuggled in a way that he doesn't normally, being especially loving and sticking to her like Velcro, as if he were saying "I'm ready to go. I love you. Goodbye." As you can imagine, this totally freaked Cindy out, especially since we've all told her that Artie will tell her when he's ready to go. That may well have been what Artie meant, but Artie isn't a doctor and Cindy has decided to trust Dr. Brum instead. I believe this is wise of her, especially since Artie seems to have recovered from his (presumed) bout of existential angst now that he has junk food to feed his kitty soul. :crazy:

Cindy has now declared that she's going to stay home, relax, and have a little bit of fun during the current snow storm. It sounds like an excellent plan to me, considering the whirlwind she's been through during the last week or so, on top of a year of nothing but caring for and worrying about Artie. Therefore, barring emergencies, we shouldn't be expecting her to post here for a while. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , @margd, or I will post any minor updates that should come up.

It's nearly Christmas. Last year, Cindy was planning to take Artie in for euthanasia immediately after Christmas mass. Artie has had a whole extra year, thanks to Cindy's care of him, @LTS3's referral to Dr. Brum and organization of a fund-raiser for Artie, and the support of everyone here. It hasn't been easy, for anyone, but it has been extremely worthwhile. This is the closest thing to a Christmas miracle that I have ever seen. We can all be proud of ourselves, and of Artie and Cindy. :worship:

Margret
:redheartpump: :thanks::salam: :hearthrob::bouquet:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's nearly Christmas. Last year, Cindy was planning to take Artie in for euthanasia immediately after Christmas mass. Artie has had a whole extra year, thanks to Cindy's care of him, @LTS3's referral to Dr. Brum and organization of a fund-raiser for Artie, and the support of everyone here. It hasn't been easy, for anyone, but it has been extremely worthwhile. This is the closest thing to a Christmas miracle that I have ever seen. We can all be proud of ourselves, and of Artie and Cindy. :worship:
Thank you so much for the update, Margret. We are all supporters of Artie's Army and it's general, aka Cindy. It just goes to show that Christmas miracles can and do happen. :hugs:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to add.. because of the abnormal blood test results: very highly elevated calcium level, Artie needed additional blood testing...He has a special ionized calcium assay and a parathyroid panel, drawn today.....

If these come back normal..and he does not respond ---then there will be further investigation, looking for cancer.
However, the most common cause of hypercalcemia in cats is idiopathic, (unknown)..it just happens...His readings are so high, that it is above the level where you would think it was caused by the lactulose.
Well, Artie's Army is all at attention and our heartfelt *PRAYERS* and healing thoughts of wellness are going up, and out, for our man Artie! He's had a year past what you had been thinking he would have. And he's eating and peeing -- so we're asking for another year. At least. We want all we can get from this cat. That's how we are with cats, you know. ;)
He is in the absolute most excellent and caring care, which is what he deserves.
The upheaval in your environment bites. No getting around it. That's what I used to loathe about having to rent, and I can very well relate. It's like your space is not your own and almost like your life is not your own. But it is what it is, and Artie is a very resilient little man. Cats can run rings around us when it comes to adapting -- we can all be inspired by them, especially by Artie!
Wishing you both a snuggly warm cozy weekend full of love, junk food, and peeing *you know what I mean*. We're all here and invested in this! :yess::redcat:

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The last few days have been something of a roller coaster emotionally for Cindy, especially after the night when Artie snuggled in a way that he doesn't normally, being especially loving and sticking to her like Velcro, as if he were saying "I'm ready to go. I love you. Goodbye."
Sometimes, sometimes, we hear "I'm ready to go. I love you. Goodbye." when what was said was, "Relax a bit, I am still here, not quite yet time to go." This is what I pray forl

This is the closest thing to a Christmas miracle that I have ever seen. We can all be proud of ourselves, and of Artie and Cindy. :worship:

Margret
~shivers~ I remember. Last year we thought there would be no this year. Let us make the same mistake again, please, O Whomever or Whatever hears these things!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi All... I will give a quick update... But please remember, Artie is not out of the woods, as of yet.

Artie seems to be very slowly coming around. He is loving most of the junk food he has gotten. Today, it seems he has gotten his fill of it.. He is not devouring it crazily.. just normally and did refuse my 'go-to' can of Solid Gold Tuna with Sea Bream. So he is feeling better...

Artie has had diarrhea and tons of gas.. so much gas!! OMG.. it is from the junk food, and the rotation of it. He either has diarrhea or a cow patty.

Holding off on the stool softener today.

Artie is refusing his prescription food. He ate a tiny bit of the dry Fiber Response, but only a few nuggets.

Artie is not cuddling. He is pretty much staying in his tent. I do not think he trusts me..
He is not cuddling at evening, nor while I sleep. He is pretty much staying away.

He is alert, wanting a bit of brushing yesterday and today...

He is not back to normal at all.. We are still waiting for all the blood test results.. some of them take a few days.. NVet will be calling me to tell me the results, despite being on vacation, he is still calling in, for daily updates; and is very concerned about Artie..

Thanks to all for all your prayers, well wishes, thoughts.. we really needed them and continue to do so...

love to all..

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are all thinking of you both!
Do not think that Artie is not trusting you, it's just that he's not feeling too good and needs some time for himself, like any other living being.
He still loves you, he knows it too well that if he's still in his beloved tent is for your stubborness and love and dedication to him!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi All... I will give a quick update... But please remember, Artie is not out of the woods, as of yet.

Artie seems to be very slowly coming around. He is loving most of the junk food he has gotten. Today, it seems he has gotten his fill of it.. He is not devouring it crazily.. just normally and did refuse my 'go-to' can of Solid Gold Tuna with Sea Bream. So he is feeling better...

Artie has had diarrhea and tons of gas.. so much gas!! OMG.. it is from the junk food, and the rotation of it. He either has diarrhea or a cow patty.

Artie is refusing his prescription food. He ate a tiny bit of the dry Fiber Response, but only a few nuggets.

Artie is not cuddling. He is pretty much staying in his tent. I do not think he trusts me..
He is not cuddling at evening, nor while I sleep. He is pretty much staying away.

He is not back to normal at all.. We are still waiting for all the blood test results.. some of them take a few days.. NVet will be calling me to tell me the results, despite being on vacation, he is still calling in, for daily updates; and is very concerned about Artie..

Thanks to all for all your prayers, well wishes, thoughts.. we really needed them and continue to do so...

love to all..
You KNOW Artie's Army has it under control and that our *PRAYERS* and healing thoughts of wellbeing are continually going up, and out, for our hero!
Junk food isn't the greatest -- just look at the people who eat it! -- but for right now, of course, getting calories and nutrients, even if not the best and not his usual, into him is so important.
And I'm sure it's not that he doesn't trust you -- like Antonio65 Antonio65 says, it's hard to be affectionate when you're feeling less than great! But as long as he has you and his care team, he's in the very best care. *PRAYERS* for some results on the tests that will explain what's happening and that can be utilized in a good plan for Artie man! :yess::redcat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know you have my prayers, always, both of you.
000000000000000.jpg

My Darlin' Girl, it is in the nature of cats that when they don't feel well, they isolate themselves. It has nothing to do with trust, you know. For all his remarkable intelligence and his vivid personality, Artie remains a cat. As Antonio65 Antonio65 says, the fact that he is in his tent rather than finding a dark place, a closet or cabinet, means that he knows he owes his life to you, and that although he needs to be quiet and alone, he wants you near.

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise

love to all..
:grouphug::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::lovecat2::grouphug2::hearthrob::redheartpump:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww.. you guys.. are too much..
Another quick update:
Artie is still not back to normal...but he is feeling a bit better. I still do not have the blood test results; but as long as Artie is not worsening, I am ok.. and there is a bit of improvement...

He is still not out of the woods...

I also do not want to jinx us.

Artie is still eating his junk food; however he is eating a bit of the Prescription Dry food, Fiber Response. He is pooping... not much, not megapoop, and very soft, but he is pooping..nothing today..

He has not been wanting to cuddle; however, the past couple of nights, he did visit me, very briefly, on my bed pillow. One time even lied on top of my head!

Not standing for much cuddling.. but is trying to bat a ball around, once or twice.

So, just a very, very cautious update.. but I wanted to tell all the members of
Artie's Army, what has been going on...

Please keep the good thoughts, prayers, candles going...

love to all of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.