Artie and his Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Forgot to say that giving seeds in excess could cause the opposite, that is constipation.
Don't know what "in excess" might mean, but just to be on the safe side I give Pallina always a tiny tip of a teaspoon. And only once a day.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The paste from Tractor Supply has psyllium in it, but I didn't like that the oils are hydrogenated. I think I need to get some more for Maggie though because she's only been pooping every other day. It's funny, she and Demi eat the same thing, but he poops every day and Maggie goes every other day. This worries me.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's right, we didn't get an Artie update today yet. I'm used to reading about him with my morning coffee. It's just not the same without our Artie fix. I hope things are going better. ((Hugs Artie)) :redheartpump:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Attention: Artie's Army!! :salute: Update....

Artie had a bad night and morning. He still had not pooped. I could tell he was sick--He also just nibbled a few dry during the night. I think he tried to poop; his litter looked like he was straining. sigh

Tried our game this morning... nothing.. refusing the food. I know he wants new food.

He was just looking sickly...out of sorts... not wanting to be brushed, extremely cuddly last night and yesterday. Almost meat loafing...

Yesterday, I gave him 4.5 cc of lactulose.

He did poop 4 inches of harder stuff. I mentioned this yesterday..

I have been doing the Tuff Love... meaning not giving him anything but the prescription food.

I was feeling that he it was time for an enema or whatever the NVet was going to suggest.
I could tell he was so uncomfortable. His face was showing this, and his body action. poor thing.

I did give the Sec a full update beginning from Wednesday (great day). She was on vacation. NVet is not in until Wed.. yes, it is the summer.
The NVEt will check in sometime today.. and she will give him an update, complete with poop pictures, and ask about an enema. I suppose if it was a really emergency, then she could call him... or the vet covering for him. Need to know when it is time for an enema or not, or whatever.

This morning, after speaking with the Sec, I put a salad together for supper. Artie was underfoot. As soon as he heard me open the cheese wrapper, he came diving over for some.. I said, " what the heck", and gave him a slice of cheese. He loves cheese.

Surprisingly, Artie wanted to play! I found a brand new, 'old' toy, which he loves. A catnip pouch in the shape of a mouse, with a long feather.. HE loves it.. destroys it really fast, and I have to watch about the feather. Well, Artie was jumping for it! We did play with that, a squeaky furry mouse (I did most of the playing with this one) and then we did a bit of "Chase"..

Artie did go into his bathroom, and into his box. I encouraged him to, "Dig, Dig, Dig, Diggy".. he gave me some backtalk... -"meourouph"....try to poop, but couldn't...he ran out, and still wanted to play "Chase" a bit. I did that with him. Then he went back into to litter box.. again, I egged him on...again, the back talk... but he was successful!

Artie pooped a 4 x 1 inch piece which broke in two. It was a tiny bit softer at the end than yesterday.. but still dry..the beginning was very dry.

After pooping, and me updating the Sec, Artie was still my 'shadow'.. all over..

He was not good for his sub-q's, he had something else on his mind, but I did manage to get them in. Again, my shadow.

He wanted more cheese. I told him "No more". He kept looking at his food dish. I decided to try our food "Game" again.. Success this time.. Artie ate 1/8 of a cup!!!!
And was still following me.

Artie was still stuck to me until around until 1pm.. everything I did, every where I went, he was with me..
Even when I was washing the bathroom with vinegar and water.. He was following me from the bathroom to the kitchen, to the washer, back and forth. All I did was turn my head and he was right there. I go from one room to the other and he was right there with me...

Now he is sleeping in his tent. I gave him another 4 cc of lactulose to make sure he continues to poop..

It is a cold, rainy, dark day... so he is set for a while.

Wonder if I will get an update from NVet? It is almost time for the Sec to go home.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Attention: Artie's Army!! :salute: Update....

Artie had a bad night and morning. He still had not pooped. I could tell he was sick--He also just nibbled a few dry during the night. I think he tried to poop; his litter looked like he was straining. sigh

Tried our game this morning... nothing.. refusing the food. I know he wants new food.

He was just looking sickly...out of sorts... not wanting to be brushed, extremely cuddly last night and yesterday. Almost meat loafing...

Yesterday, I gave him 4.5 cc of lactulose.

He did poop 4 inches of harder stuff. I mentioned this yesterday..

I have been doing the Tuff Love... meaning not giving him anything but the prescription food.

I was feeling that he it was time for an enema or whatever the NVet was going to suggest.
I could tell he was so uncomfortable. His face was showing this, and his body action. poor thing.

I did give the Sec a full update beginning from Wednesday (great day). She was on vacation. NVet is not in until Wed.. yes, it is the summer.
The NVEt will check in sometime today.. and she will give him an update, complete with poop pictures, and ask about an enema. I suppose if it was a really emergency, then she could call him... or the vet covering for him. Need to know when it is time for an enema or not, or whatever.

This morning, after speaking with the Sec, I put a salad together for supper. Artie was underfoot. As soon as he heard me open the cheese wrapper, he came diving over for some.. I said, " what the heck", and gave him a slice of cheese. He loves cheese.

Surprisingly, Artie wanted to play! I found a brand new, 'old' toy, which he loves. A catnip pouch in the shape of a mouse, with a long feather.. HE loves it.. destroys it really fast, and I have to watch about the feather. Well, Artie was jumping for it! We did play with that, a squeaky furry mouse (I did most of the playing with this one) and then we did a bit of "Chase"..

Artie did go into his bathroom, and into his box. I encouraged him to, "Dig, Dig, Dig, Diggy".. he gave me some backtalk... -"meourouph"....try to poop, but couldn't...he ran out, and still wanted to play "Chase" a bit. I did that with him. Then he went back into to litter box.. again, I egged him on...again, the back talk... but he was successful!

Artie pooped a 4 x 1 inch piece which broke in two. It was a tiny bit softer at the end than yesterday.. but still dry..the beginning was very dry.

After pooping, and me updating the Sec, Artie was still my 'shadow'.. all over..

He was not good for his sub-q's, he had something else on his mind, but I did manage to get them in. Again, my shadow.

He wanted more cheese. I told him "No more". He kept looking at his food dish. I decided to try our food "Game" again.. Success this time.. Artie ate 1/8 of a cup!!!!
And was still following me.

Artie was still stuck to me until around until 1pm.. everything I did, every where I went, he was with me..
Even when I was washing the bathroom with vinegar and water.. He was following me from the bathroom to the kitchen, to the washer, back and forth. All I did was turn my head and he was right there. I go from one room to the other and he was right there with me...

Now he is sleeping in his tent. I gave him another 4 cc of lactulose to make sure he continues to poop..

It is a cold, rainy, dark day... so he is set for a while.

Wonder if I will get an update from NVet? It is almost time for the Sec to go home.
Well, all in all, it sounds like it's been a better time for Artie again :D:cutecat:Really loved reading about the play!

Hope you do get a call/update from NVet, if not today, then first thing tomorrow. *Keep looking up!* :winkcat:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am actually envying you your cold, dark, rainy day. It is overcast, but hot hot HOT here.

Keep us updated on how your Shadow is doing! I was glad to see that there was some poop, at least, and eating a wee bit, even if not what we hope for.

Sending more love your way than you will ever realize!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi , unless your vet has told you that only pooping every other day is a problem, or if Maggie seems uncomfortable, I think it probably isn't worth worrying about. They've talked about "regularity" for years in humans, and it seems to be just a ploy to sell us something. I, at least, just poop when I need to poop and don't worry about whether it's every day at the same time (which is what they seem to mean by "regular"). If I'm having trouble I just eat something that I know will loosen me up or (depending on the kind of trouble) something that will harden things up a bit. No big deal, except when I'm really sick. Slightly more complicated now that I have diabetes and am managing it primarily by diet, but still doable.

And, as usual, double-check all medical advice with your vet, of course.

Margret

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M maggiedemi , unless your vet has told you that only pooping every other day is a problem, or if Maggie seems uncomfortable, I think it probably isn't worth worrying about. They've talked about "regularity" for years in humans, and it seems to be just a ploy to sell us something. I, at least, just poop when I need to poop and don't worry about whether it's every day at the same time (which is what they seem to mean by "regular"). If I'm having trouble I just eat something that I know will loosen me up or (depending on the kind of trouble) something that will harden things up a bit. No big deal, except when I'm really sick. Slightly more complicated now that I have diabetes and am managing it primarily by diet, but still doable.

And, as usual, double-check all medical advice with your vet, of course.

Margret
Sound advice. Each individual is different.;):winkcat:

katlady-18

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Happy to know Artie is doing better. :jive: And, I too, envy your cold, rainy, dark weather. Nothing but triple digit temperatures at this time of year where I live. I went out to the trash bin and there was this breeze--I swear, it felt like it burned the skin! :fireblob:

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sounds like some exercise is helping him.
This reminds me of my sweet Lola. She was prone to a bit of constipation, that's why I introduced the psyllium seeds in her wet food.
Even when she wasn't really constipated she had some hard time using the litter for poop.
I remember her going to the litter tray (a covered tray), pushing the door with her head, then he stepped back as she was saying "I'm not ready yet", then she had a round of the house and tried again. Sometimes she had to try three or four times. When she was younger she also ran from room to room, then all of a sudden she was feeling ready, stepped into the tray and started digging frantically. When she had done and come out she had a satisfied, proud and happy look in her eyes as she was going to tell me "It was difficult this time but I made it!".

Don't know if this is the case with Artie, but have you noticed that when he plays/runs more he poops more easily?

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Moving, walking, running, exercise definitely helps things move along in terms of digestion and constipation as does drinking water, staying hydrated and eating regularly.

I've had one or two horses for well over 20 years now and horse owners greatest fear is colic. Technically that just means any type of abdominal pain but horses can't vomit so they could just have gas or have a serious impaction or twisted rotting intestines and you never know if they'll get better or literally die or have to have huge surgery or be euthanized every time they show symptoms of a stomach ache.
Whenever they show any signs of stomach discomfort, the first thing owners and vets check for are if they're eating and drinking normally, if they're pooping and what it looks like and how they're acting. Then we walk them. For minutes to hours depending on how they are and if they improve or if we're waiting for the vet. We walk them to encourage motility in the stomach. It never hurts and usually helps. But letting them lie down can actually make things much worse.

So I use that knowledge and observe my other pets. Vet once told me to walk my last dog around a while to get him to poop. It makes a lot of sense if you think about it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
inkysmom inkysmom that's interesting info I didn't think about. Probably the same for people...not good for a body to lay around all day...

Artie hope you had a restful day and Cindy hope you are enjoying the cooler temperatures-so nice to keep the windows cracked instead of cold AC air.
Definitely the same for people, and, apparently, cats. When things aren't moving at my house, I get out and walk around the complex a time or two. It almost always works. I should think that cats would be the same as the rest of us!

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
For all those waiting, Artie Report:

Artie woke started waking up very early this morning, around 5AM. I tried my best to ignore him, but I could not; eventually, I woke up, early.

He took me directly to the litter box, where he proceeded to pee, and walked out. I had no sooner scooped, and he was back in there. He was pooping!! It was 6 x 1/2 inch softer poop.
Success!!! I am cutting back to 2.5 cc of lactulose today.

Artie is on a hunger strike. He is absolutely refusing his food. He wants none of it. He would rather starve than eat it. I am beyond belief at the extent of his own starvation. When He was fasting for his ultrasound, he could not wait to eat, anything.. now he is starving himself with the exact same food. I do not know what to do..

The NVet said to let him starve, thinking he will give up and eat the food.. nope..

The NVet is still off. I do not know what is going on with him. He has not even checked in with his Secretary. She is even upset at him.. He is scheduled to be in work tomorrow.
I am aware he is helping take care of his elderly, sick father... so who the heck knows what is going on. All I know, is that it is not like him to not check in...

Artie was after my chocolate covered raisins, last night. He is looking for anything, besides the prescription food, to eat. The NVEt told me not to give in..... but when is too much??

I really need to find out..

Yesterday morning, Artie was begging for cheese. I was making a salad and putting cheese in it. I gave him a slice. Today, I am having the same thing for supper.. and more cheese. I always have cheese in my salads...sigh.. he is going to get some Monterey Jack cheese today. I know, once I go into the kitchen, he will be right up against me...

This cat is just too stubborn,, or too spoiled....:yelling::yelling::yelling::yelling::yelling::yelling::yelling::livid::livid::livid::livid::livid::livid::livid::livid::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2:

Twice, within the past half hour, he tried to dig in his box... nothing came out..:argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I tired that years ago.. I will try it again.. I will get the grater out..
It was Parmesan cheese that I tried.
My gut feeling is that he will lick around the dry food to get to the cheese...but I will try as soon as I get off here..

Status
Not open for further replies.