Arthur Is Ear-tipped

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Arthur came up for his breakfast yesterday I noticed that he was ear-tipped. I could not believe my luck. I have about 5 ferals and I've been trying to find someone in a rescue group to help me do TNR. I have the money and the traps I just can't find anybody to help me. With arthritis I cannot do it alone. I have no friends in the area, my family won't help, and I don't belong to any church. I have one neighbor I'm friendly with but she is in bad a shape as I am.

I'll just have to keep an eye on the other ferals and hope like hell they are also fixed. I did noticed that two of them looked fat and I have not seen them lately. I'm not able to tell if a cat is male or female. I went through this 20 years ago. I had a colony of 22 cats and I did TNR on every one of them by myself. I just wish I could do it now.

Muffy

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a local Shelter nearby? They might help you, or find someone who can. If you can't help with the actual trapping, etc. you might tell them you can foster the cats after TNR surgery, they might be interested then. Those two 'fat' ones might be increasing your colony right now, the kittens would need to be caught and socialized. You also might get on those local radio talk shows and ask for help too, it is amazing how many people listen to them. Be careful though, DON'T give any money to ANYONE without knowing for sure they are truly legitimate, that is why I recommended your local shelter. Good luck and keep us posted, you will be blessed for your efforts!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Surprising enough, most rescuers arent very religious. Im one of the quite few whom are inspired by the tale of the Good Shepherd. So being part of a parish or similiar, makes it easier to get contact with people, many more or less friendly and helpsome, but its no safe way of getting contact with many wannabe rescuers...

You could perhaps set up a couple of messages / posters on local message boards? To get volunteers this way. You may perhaps even afford to help them with gas money, or even some pocket money if its young people.

No rescuers dont do it for money, but it may be a way to get practical help from some. A couple of ideas.

Ah, one thing more. Arhur, didnt you noticed earlier he was ear-tipped, or did someone did it now during the past days?? Males are returned almost immediately after this small surgery.

IF so, it means there are more active rescuers than you in your neigbourhood.
if its an old ear tip, there may still be this rescuer around....

Another reason why to put up some posters around.

When Arthur came up for his breakfast yesterday I noticed that he was ear-tipped. I could not believe my luck. I have about 5 ferals and I've been trying to find someone in a rescue group to help me do TNR. I have the money and the traps I just can't find anybody to help me. With arthritis I cannot do it alone. I have no friends in the area, my family won't help, and I don't belong to any church. I have one neighbor I'm friendly with but she is in bad a shape as I am.

I'll just have to keep an eye on the other ferals and hope like hell they are also fixed. I did noticed that two of them looked fat and I have not seen them lately. I'm not able to tell if a cat is male or female. I went through this 20 years ago. I had a colony of 22 cats and I did TNR on every one of them by myself. I just wish I could do it now.

Muffy

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a good thing that someone is taking the cat(s) for TNR. I don’t feed the clowder of ferals created by the apartment complex behind me because I feel like if I feed them, they are my personal responsibility to TNR. The "feeding and breeding" is happening on the adjacent property.

Having said that, I did trap one kitten last Friday who was hanging out on my property more than the others, and took her in to the county for TNR. She had a litter of four kittens Tuesday at the shelter, so at least I kept the colony from growing. Hopefully when she comes back to the neighborhood in 6-8 weeks with her ear tipped, the people who are feeding her will get the hint and start taking the cats they are feeding in for spay/neuter.

If you are feeding the cats, you need to find someone to take them for TNR.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a local Shelter nearby? They might help you, or find someone who can. If you can't help with the actual trapping, etc. you might tell them you can foster the cats after TNR surgery, they might be interested then. Those two 'fat' ones might be increasing your colony right now, the kittens would need to be caught and socialized. You also might get on those local radio talk shows and ask for help too, it is amazing how many people listen to them. Be careful though, DON'T give any money to ANYONE without knowing for sure they are truly legitimate, that is why I recommended your local shelter. Good luck and keep us posted, you will be blessed for your efforts!
I emailed the rescue places I could find but only one answered and they could not help. I still need to call my local Human Society and Allie Cat Allies but they were of no help 20 years ago and I bet they still will be of no help to me. I will care for the colony after they are fixed but there is absolutely no way I can foster the cats. I will be stuck with them and I cannot take on any more pets. I'm just not able to do it and when I die I will have no one to care for them. Thanks for your help.

Muffie

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surprising enough, most rescuers arent very religious. Im one of the quite few whom are inspired by the tale of the Good Shepherd. So being part of a parish or similiar, makes it easier to get contact with people, many more or less friendly and helpsome, but its no safe way of getting contact with many wannabe rescuers...

You could perhaps set up a couple of messages / posters on local message boards? To get volunteers this way. You may perhaps even afford to help them with gas money, or even some pocket money if its young people.

No rescuers dont do it for money, but it may be a way to get practical help from some. A couple of ideas.

Ah, one thing more. Arhur, didnt you noticed earlier he was ear-tipped, or did someone did it now during the past days?? Males are returned almost immediately after this small surgery.

IF so, it means there are more active rescuers than you in your neigbourhood.
if its an old ear tip, there may still be this rescuer around....

Another reason why to put up some posters around.

I could try the message boards. My vet has a message board I could check. I would be glad to offer money for gas or any other expense they may have.

When Arthur was on the deck a few weeks ago I thought he was ear-tipped but I could not really tell. Yesterday I got a good look at him and I'm pretty sure he is ear tipped. I thought maybe one of the others was ear-tipped, also.

I'll ask my friendly neighbor if she knows of anybody doing TNR in the neighborhood. She seems to know what goes on around here.

Thanks for our reply.

Muffy

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a good thing that someone is taking the cat(s) for TNR. I don’t feed the clowder of ferals created by the apartment complex behind me because I feel like if I feed them, they are my personal responsibility to TNR. The "feeding and breeding" is happening on the adjacent property.

Having said that, I did trap one kitten last Friday who was hanging out on my property more than the others, and took her in to the county for TNR. She had a litter of four kittens Tuesday at the shelter, so at least I kept the colony from growing. Hopefully when she comes back to the neighborhood in 6-8 weeks with her ear tipped, the people who are feeding her will get the hint and start taking the cats they are feeding in for spay/neuter.

If you are feeding the cats, you need to find someone to take them for TNR.
Good job on trapping the kitten and getting her sprayed and getting her kittens in a shelter.

Yes, I am feeding the cats and I am trying to find someone to take them for TNR.

Muffy