arthritis

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat gets bouts of painful arthritis. I have given her Cosequin at times she's having issues. it seems like she's fine and then has a tough time. I know cats can hide pain, but she could go from vigorously playing one day to limping/jumping issues the next day? she's having a bad day today.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat gets bouts of painful arthritis. I have given her Cosequin at times she's having issues. it seems like she's fine and then has a tough time. I know cats can hide pain, but she could go from vigorously playing one day to limping/jumping issues the next day? she's having a bad day today.
Well, humans have good and bad days, so I would guess cats do, too. Another thing that can help is to put steps next to places she wants to climb. Baby Su is 16 and Elvis is 13, and they both are able to jump, but I put a single-story cat condo next to our platform bed just to make sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'm hoping she just having a bad day....not that I want her to have a bad day....it's hard not to worry. She has 3 different beds... she is laying in the pink cube right now that's not really a bed but I just made it one :) I put a towel down so she can be warmer. I put some Cosequin in her food...she did eat some.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'm hoping she just having a bad day....not that I want her to have a bad day....it's hard not to worry. She has 3 different beds... she is laying in the pink cube right now that's not really a bed but I just made it one :) I put a towel down so she can be warmer. I put some Cosequin in her food...she did eat some.
They give us unconditional loyalty and love and they are in our care -- of course we are going to be concerned and want nothing but love and comfort for them! Warm is good. Comforting.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
not sure I made sense in that last post...long day at work now worried about my baby... she has 3 different beds she usually can get to. one she has steps up to. the pink cube is on the floor..she's been laying in most of the evening...i just put a towel in there.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I may just go sit by the cube to keep her company :catlove: she usually keeps me company in the evening by sharing my chair..

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have given her Cosequin at times she's having issues.
If I understand what you are saying correctly, Cosequin is something you give routinely - as in every day - not just when she is having issues. So, if you start her on a regular regimen that might help over time. I believe most of these joint supplement take weeks of repeated use to begin to make a difference. Cosequin, itself, states 4-6 weeks of daily dosages before possibly reducing it to every other day.

If I misunderstood - my apologies.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Poor little girl. It’s hard to see them in pain. FeebysOwner FeebysOwner took the words right out of my…fingertips. :) Just as my own doctor has me taking glucosamine and chondroitin daily for my arthritis, my vet has me giving Cosequin to my two 17-year-olds Iris and Lily every day. It has helped them, and I know I’ll be giving it to them for the rest of their lives. I also give them fish oil every day (and I take it, too :)) which helps as well.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 14 year old male with arthritis (and he's partially blind). I give him Cosequin every day. Plus, we have a few heated cat beds which he really enjoys and cat stairs so he can get up on the bed, couch, etc.
Awwww, you're doing all the good things for his wellbeing and comfort! Please give him some strokings from us! :redheartpump:

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just an update...she's hanging in there...hoping for the Cosequin to kick in soon..I know it can take time so I got her some hemp extract tincture today from Petsmart...it's Mary's Tails Hemp Extract Tincture.. CBD. I'm starting with one drop which is .25 mg. just to see how it goes. She did eat it in some food...I put it in a very little bit of food to make sure that she did get it.

I could barely work today I was so upset thinking she is in pain so I ran across to Petsmart on my break. She did greet me as usual when I got home. She hopped up on the one desk (steps to it) but cried and hopped back down... I did see her shake her right leg. I'm sure she's got arthritis in her hip. I know her left shoulder bothers her too. Right now she is sleeping peacefully on her towel on the floor in my bedroom.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just an update...she's hanging in there...hoping for the Cosequin to kick in soon..I know it can take time so I got her some hemp extract tincture today from Petsmart...it's Mary's Tails Hemp Extract Tincture.. CBD. I'm starting with one drop which is .25 mg. just to see how it goes. She did eat it in some food...I put it in a very little bit of food to make sure that she did get it.

I could barely work today I was so upset thinking she is in pain so I ran across to Petsmart on my break. She did greet me as usual when I got home. She hopped up on the one desk (steps to it) but cried and hopped back down... I did see her shake her right leg. I'm sure she's got arthritis in her hip. I know her left shoulder bothers her too. Right now she is sleeping peacefully on her towel on the floor in my bedroom.
I have read that vet should be consulted before giving even over the counter CBD. Just FYI.
Really hoping the Cosequin helps *and the CBD if it's okay to give* and with arthritis, I've read exercise is really helpful. It may hurt to begin with, but you don't want to stop and freeze up. Stay active.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've read exercise is really helpful. It may hurt to begin with, but you don't want to stop and freeze up. Stay active.
I have been exercising her when she is out...if she's willing. Nothing too tough...but I do try to get her to stretch and use the scratcher...swat at a few toys.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woo hoo! a breakthrough today! I was sitting here at my computer while she was laying on her towel on the floor resting when she came up the cat steps and onto my lap!! No crying or wincing.

I literally had JUST put my head in my hands, shut my eyes, and was feeling so sad that she hadn't been in my lap in days. No less than one minute later she came up the steps and got in my lap! I swear cats are psychic :party3:

WMM201

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
T tnl and FeebysOwner FeebysOwner recommending daily Cosequin and the heated cat beds are giving great advice. That's what I do for my cat with arthritis. I graduated her from Cosequin to Dasuquin eventually, and she gets laser therapy every two weeks. Sometimes, she still has stretches of some slow, kind of ginger walking, but I think overall it has helped. If your sweet girl really is having a lot of discomfort despite these steps, you could ask your vet for pain medication like gabapentin. When my cat has a bad spell, I give it to her once or twice a day and then monitor and taper if she seems less painful.

vikinggirl34

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One month update - after daily Cosequin, she has continued to improve! She is able to access her old resting locations in the window, beds, couch, etc. She is doing much, much better! I will keep her on a maintenance dose of Cosequin and love <of course>! :catlove:

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
One month update - after daily Cosequin, she has continued to improve! She is able to access her old resting locations in the window, beds, couch, etc. She is doing much, much better! I will keep her on a maintenance dose of Cosequin and love <of course>! :catlove:
Yay! :cheerleader: