Arthritis Supplements that work.

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am looking for an arthritis supplement for my cat Kattie. I believe that she is getting slightly arthritic due to her declaw many years ago(not my choice, came to me that way). Anyways, I took her to the vet and she didn't really limp there, so they thought that she might have strained it and to watch it. Well that is possible, but the more I've read on declaw complications, the more I think that this might be her issue. She has always walked "dainty" and I wonder if it is because her paws hurt. There was a study stating that declawed cats get arthritis due to their shift in weight to help their sore paws. There is a bunch of other stuff out there, but I do believe that she might be getting slightly arthritic. My old dog has been taking a combo of Osteo Bi Flex (glucosamine, chondroitin, msm) human grade, Salmon oil, Vit E, and Ester C. This combo has helped him immensely. He plays chase with the younger cat and goes on huge walks most every day. I have also seen him off of it and he is much stiffer and slower. So even though there is controversy over whether glucosamine works, I believe it does.
Now obviously I can't give Kattie the Osteo bi flex as it is a big caplet and too high a dose for her so I am looking for something designed for cats. I was looking at cosequin which has tons of good reviews, but also a product called joint max fluid http://jointmax.com/products-jointcare.html This is a liquid that I could easily give her as she is picky with stuff put in her food. Also it is a liquid and that is better when giving glucosamine products. I feel really bad that she was declawed, and wish that I could reverse it but what is done is done and now I want to help prevent any worsening of her condition. Also is it ok to give fish oil, I know the issues with cats and fish, but she has never had a uti, and the omega 3's could be benefical as well?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have used Cosequin with good success previously. IIRC, the powder (it comes in capsules) is chicken flavored so that helps when mixed in with wet food. I also would encourage you to get a heated pet bed or heated pet pad for the cooler weather. I have some that plug in and heat up to meet my kitty's temp when it's being laid on and if it's not being slept on cools down.

catnamedpanda

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used cosequin as well with my cat he ate it sprinkled on his food no problem and he can be picky sometimes, they sell it at petsmart, but it is actually cheaper to get it from my vet. I dont know about the fish oil for cats... I give it to my dog though.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hyaluronic Acid has been awesome for Gracie, plus, coincidence or not, I was told that it has the same good effects on the bladder, so I started giving to Bugsy and he has never had another UTI (his was inflammation of the bladder with bleeding) since beginning it.
I used to use Trixsyn, but now I found out that the same company manufactures this one: Baxyl Pet - Redidog
It is the same ingredients, same thing exactly, just changes the concentration - this one I need to give o.8cc per cat, while the other 0.55cc - no big deal for the amount it is saving me.
Anyways, Hyaluronic is working here - Gracie has no problem jumping up and down everywhere like a young cat!

bshcatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently started noticing my 7 year old cat getting quite stiff, so I started supplementing her with Sashas Blend (http://www.sashasblend.com/). It contains Green Lipped Mussel, Abalone and Marine Cartilage which apparently helps with degenerative joint disease. I had heard great things about it from other people who have tried it and loved it, so I decided to give it a try too. It may just be a coincidence, but she seems to be doing a bit better. And it comes in two forms, a powder that you can sprinkle onto food or Flexibites, which are little treats you can feed.

I do also give salmon oil which I have found helps with the coat as well as the joints. The theory is that it helps to decrease inflammation.

I have also tried Zuke's Cat Hip Action treats (http://www.zukes.com/meow/hip-action.html). The cats seem to like it quite a bit.

If nothing else, if it doesn't really work, it also doesn't harm them to supplement it into their diets. It at least gives me piece of mind that I am trying something.

cami&thomas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My family has always used Cosequin for Cats for our older cats that develop arthritis. It's fairly inexpensive and has always had great results for us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well I decided to get the hylauronic acid and a glucosamine supplement. I went with hyaflex, and cosequin. We shall see as I ordered them on line so they will take a few days to get here. On a side note, Kattie seems to be doing better, not limping nearly as dramatically as she was. Maybe she did pull something. Anyways she is 7yo so I will start her on the supplements anyways.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kattiekitty

Well I decided to get the hylauronic acid and a glucosamine supplement. I went with hyaflex, and cosequin. We shall see as I ordered them on line so they will take a few days to get here. On a side note, Kattie seems to be doing better, not limping nearly as dramatically as she was. Maybe she did pull something. Anyways she is 7yo so I will start her on the supplements anyways.
That's awesome!! Hyaluronic really helps!!

........... tip........... Hyaflex is good..... but a ton of $$$....... The one I use is one of the best Companies (if not the best), you get about a 4 month supply for a cat for the same price, using a 8mg dose instead of a 1mg dose of the Hyaflex.

Just a tip to consider it for the next purchase - I learned the optimum dosage and the redidog company from here: http://www.trixsyn.com/

The link I gave you from Amazon, is just a retail brand of the same product, by the same company, but at a little weaker dosage. I used to get the Extra large dog version (it is the same formula) and give the equivalent for cats (to save $$
). On Trixsyn, that was 0.55cc; now on Redidog is 0.8cc. It lasts me well over 2 months for 2 cats.

Hyaluronic is great!
Glad you got it!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kattiekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats good to hear! I am excited to try it on Kattie. I also want to try it on my dog but it is pricey. He is about 58 pounds so I would use alot more for him. I think I will check out the other website for reorder. Hopefully it will work, I am excited!