Arthritis supplements - other than Cosequin or Dasuquin

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For two-three years Feeby gladly ate Glyco Flex Plus, and then she started rejecting it. I purchased Cosequin and after just two weeks she won't eat any food/treat/baby food meat if it has been added to them. I have yet to try Dasuquin, but I read a few articles that suggest there are more complaints about the palatability of Dasuquin. So, I am worried that if she doesn't like Cosequin, she might not like Dasuquin either. I should point out that other than her Temptations Hairball Control treats, she won't eat any other forms of chew treats, just in case anyone was going to suggest a chew instead of the capsule powder.

Any other supplements for arthritis that anyone has been using with success?

Thanks!

Moka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Duralactin for my cat's inflammation issues. It seems to work and Salem will (most of the time) willingly take it. It comes in gelatin capsules that you open and mix the powder into whatever. Salem is a kibble addict, so I can't mix it into wet food. I just mix it with a little water and load it into and oral syringe.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I wish I knew of other options. I do add Iceland Pure Sardine Anchovy Oil to Iris’s food (in addition to the Cosequin).

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Any other supplements for arthritis that anyone has been using with success?
I'll be watching your thread since the last time Carleton was at the vet she said she wanted to discuss something to use for his arthritis. He's getting the I-131 radioactive iodine treatment now so his next appointment with the regular vet is at the 1 month follow-up in January. Please let us know if you have any updates. Best of luck!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think it's only available in Australia but this product is excellent. Sundar has crippling arthritis due to bone deformities and has his monthly jab and sometimes very strong painkillers. Since he's been on this he hasn't needed the painkillers.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll be watching your thread since the last time Carleton was at the vet she said she wanted to discuss something to use for his arthritis. He's getting the I-131 radioactive iodine treatment now so his next appointment with the regular vet is at the 1 month follow-up in January. Please let us know if you have any updates. Best of luck!
You could try what Feeby ate for over 2 years - the Glyco Flex Plus that I mentioned above. They are semi soft chews, pretty big in size though, so I would cut them up into 3-4 pieces and she willingly ate them. They are strong smelling (probably tasting too) because they contain green lipped mussels, but I quickly got used to the smell, and it never seemed to bother her. I don't know if she got sick of the taste, or if there is another reason she stopped eating them - as she is also rejecting her D-Mannose. If I could get her to take them again, I certainly would. They also have glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane). Good luck with Carleton's I-131 treatment!!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You could try what Feeby ate for over 2 years - the Glyco Flex Plus that I mentioned above. Good luck with Carleton's I-131 treatment!!
Our dog was on Glyco Flex and it helped up until a point when he started to lose muscle mass but he had no problem with it either.
Thanks for the good luck wishes. It's hard having him away from us for 5 days but he comes home tomorrow. :thumbsup: Hopefully he will be A-OK at the one month check up. :crossfingers: I'll speak to the vet at that time about the Glyco Flex and see if she has any other suggestions.

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve been using Dasuquin for a couple of years without much problem. I mix it in Twyla’s wet food and put a couple of pieces of her dry food on top to encourage her to eat it. However, she is the least finicky cat I have ever known.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Have you tried any of these yet, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner ? How bad is Feeby’s arthritis? My vet has Iris on a daily dose of gabapentin because the arthritis in her spine and back legs is so bad. That’s in addition to the Cosequin, fish oil, and CBD (plus other potions and powders for constipation and, as you know, potential E. coli infections). Poor kitty probably wouldn’t know what to do with a meal without meds or supplements.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried any of these yet, How bad is Feeby’s arthritis?
Not bought any of them yet. I am watching her and am somewhat surprised that her limp has only sporadically returned (when she first moves after some serious resting/napping sessions). The little brat hasn't willingly taken but a few doses of Cosequin since early November. I still want to get something for her to take, nonetheless.

Thanks for asking. I will follow up when I finally get one of these to try with her. I think Nodens is the 'front runner'...