Arm & Hammer Water Additive

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought a bottle from PetsMart earlier today, but I was alarmed to find "Made in China" on the bottle. I then ran each ingredient separately through Google, but I did not find anything dangerous about the ingredients. Many of the ingredients are found in human mouthwash. The Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract is a substance that usually derives from China, so maybe that explains the product origin; not sure though. I wanted to run the product by the experts here on this board before trying it on my cat. I did try it on myself already however. One capful straight made my tongue numb. One capful mixed with 9 ounces of water was imperceptible to my taste. Please advise whether I should give it to her, or take it back to the store. Thank You.

Instructions:
Add one capful per 8 oz of your cat's drinking water every time you refill the bowl.

Ingredients:
Water, Sorbitol, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Bicarbonate, Cetylpyridinium Chloride, Proteases, Thymol, Zinc Gluconate, Tetrasodium Pyrophosphate, Zinc Gluconate, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO, the dental stuff you add to water doesn't work very well, if at all. A cat isn't going to drink enough water from a bowl daily for the additivie to have much of an effect, especially if your cat is eating a mostly canned food diet.

Brushing your cat's teeth is a better way to maintain dental health

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
stevenq - I got the water additive for her breath. Can you tell me if it's safe?

LTS3 - She drinks a ton of water every day. Can you tell me if you think the additive is safe?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
stevenq - I got the water additive for her breath. Can you tell me if it's safe?

LTS3 - She drinks a ton of water every day. Can you tell me if you think the additive is safe?
I can't tell you if it's safe because i don't have the knowledge, but bad breath shouldn't simply be considered something to treat with a mouthwash, it often indicates a medical problem like bad teeth thaat could be quite serious, but easier to treat sooner rather than later. I'd schedule a vet check.