Are you watching the Olympics?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I feel like I have less interest in these Olympics than ever before, except in a waiting for a train wreck to happen sort of way. I may watch part of the gymnastics and Simone Biles, but this is most likely it.

How about you?

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not into sports, so no. Frankly, I think they should've been canceled. Like you said, I'm expecting a train wreck.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not yet, but I will probably watch some of it. I've had less and less interest every time they're on and this one in particular. My husband is watching.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't even realize it had started. Usually I watch the opening ceremony and will have sports on in the background, but we're trying not to let J watch TV yet, so I judiciously pick shows I want to watch and either watch while she's feeding or I can sit with her behind the tent over her play mat that blocks her view.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My DH went out and bought an antenna and amplifier just so we can try to watch. He’s not big into sports but he ran track and field in high school and briefly in college; so he likes to watch those events.

I do enjoy the gymnastics and swimming/diving. So hopefully I’ll catch a little of those.

I keep seeing articles on all these issues they are having and people getting sick. It’s making me concerned this is going to be one train wreck after another.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not yet, though it's just started, right. I am concerned about it being a super spreader event that sends a new variant back to all corners of the planet. :(

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will watch some of it because there is nothing else on. I would like to see the men and women's baseball and the women playing soccer. Maybe they should have canceled the games but I would hate to see those young people not be able to play after all of their hard work.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I feel like I have less interest in these Olympics than ever before, except in a waiting for a train wreck to happen sort of way. I may watch part of the gymnastics and Simone Biles, but this is most likely it.
:yeah: Same here, less interest and will try to watch Simore Biles.

I was disappointed and felt bad that Sha'carri Richardson was disqualified but understand the committee's rules regarding her testing positive for marijuana. Unfortunately the circumstances surrounding her reason for smoking, i.e. her biological mother's death, made it more difficult for her to cope. Hopefully we will see more great performances from her in the future.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely not. I last watched the athletics when my younger sister was taking part. She was probably wearing cheap gym shoes instead of running spikes. It used to be for amateurs only (at least on paper) and that made it more fun and interesting, finding out what these young people did to earn their living and when or where they did their training. But now they are all professionals, some are definitely taking new drugs which can't be detected yet, and they are perhaps even being paid to turn on the tears when they don't get a medal. Not my sort of heroes!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Not me. I'm more likely to stand outside and protest about it. I'd make big banners asking:

What have you done with all those taxes I paid?
Why aren't all of the Japanese staff vaccinated?
Why do we have to pay for the IOC to stay in luxury hotels?

That kind of thing.

:insertevillaugh:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
No... not watching. I loved with it was amateurs.

This year is a different reason: Covid. In my opinion this is a super spreader event. They should have skipped it all together.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll watch randomly. I like some of the events but am not a die hard fan.
I do think they should have been postponed, but at the same time, a lot of time and money went into this and it would have been a shame if it went to waste had it been cancelled all together. There's not much I can do other than support my Country and enjoy the few events I don't get to see regularly. And besides, the athletes aren't the ones who make the decisions and that's what the focus of the games should be so, whatever..."it is what it is".....my new Covid mantra.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I watched the opening ceremony last night and thought they'd never light the torch. Way too long. Turned it on this morning, and it was water polo on one channel and table tennis in another. :barf: I'd like to see archery and dressage, but it will be hard to catch them.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know where I can find the airing schedule for the events? I've looked on so many sites and they only post when the event is happening...and I'm not watching at like 2am to see it "live".
Even now, I have it on one of the NBC channels...on the TV guide when I click on the menu button, it says men's basketball, but it's actually men's swimming (200M) that's airing. When I go to the NBC website, they don't list what they will be airing during the day....so I have no idea how to follow when things will air.
I quickly heard that tonight there will be gymnastics at 7pm (I think) when I was listening to one of the broadcasters talk about updates and what not...but I went to double check and like I said....no day time airing schedule??? Help.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The remote guide lists several events that are scheduled within the time frame. It's a matter of chance as to what you will see. There are at least three channels here broadcasting the events - NBC, OLYHD, WNBC. I caught the dressage event today and men's gymnastics last night, so I'm happy.