Are you supposed to brush cats teeth???

SAVANNALP

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!!! I haven’t brushed Squishys teeth since I’ve had him. Is that something you are supposed to do?! I noticed his teeth are yellowish. I bought a cat tooth brush with tooth paste, greenies treats, and a toy that helps with teeth health. Going to hope one works!!!! Thoughts???

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Brushing helps prevent plaque but does not get rid of it. Take him to a vet if they are yellow. Brushing will be hard unless you start early which I didnt so there are videos on YouTube how to do it. Get her comfortable with the brush and tooth paste first and treats

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I did buy treats with gizzards and hearts for thier teeth. Forgot about that. My cat Peaches did not like one of them but I dont know if it was the gizzard or heart!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Home dental care is beneficial to keep the teeth healthy :) Some cats will still need dental care from the vet even with routine home care.

Brushing is best, just like it is for our own teeth. What brand of toothpaste do you have? CET poultry flavored toothpaste is popular with many cats. There is a CET starter kit that has a great mini cat toothbrush:

You can buy it on Amazon. Here's one listing: Amazon.com : Virbac C.E.T. 1 Count Pet Toothbrush : Pet Dental Care Supplies : Pet Supplies

Greenies and most other dental treats do nothing for dental health. If you want to try a treat, the only ones I suggest to try are the CET dental chews C.E.T.® Oral Hygiene Chews for Cats You can buy this on Amazon and other places online. CET products are not sold in most pet stores. An independent pet store or a grooming place or your vet may sell CET.

hurricanemix100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. I promise 95% of people with cats over the last 100 years have never even thought about brushing their cats teeth. They definitely don't get their teeth brushed in the wild either. I'm confident of that.