Are You A "Hunt & Peck" Keyboarder...

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I type the normal way. I have to type at work.. A LOT!!! No one who would use the hunt and peck would last at my job

breal76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I type normal. I didn't learn how to type till I was 25 or so. I took a class in college and by my third week I was up to 60wpm. I am a quick learner.

I will say I do hunt/peck or type one handed when my cat is on my lap which he is staring at the keyboard right now debating whether to get on my stomach or not..lol. He's a pest.

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I type the normal way. Fortunately, I learned how to type early so I'm fairly good at it. I look at the screen constantly and I have an auto spell checker on my computer so anything that I type in a window or even an internet browser is automatically checked and underlined if the spelling it wrong.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I type what must be "normal" here! Both hands, can't see, kitty across them both!

Without the kitty, I can type pretty quickly and accurately, but with the kitty, well...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yourbriness763

what's a devorak keyboard?

I was wondering the same thing, too.

Originally Posted by Enuja

Here is the Wikipedia article about the Dvorak keyboard layout.
I'm glad you posted the link, Enuja. I'm gonna check it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That DVORAK keyboard concept is interesting. I think it would be easier to use than the QWERTY one. But it sure would be weird to retrain yourself to use it that way.

wyatturpsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I type the "normal" way, except if Toby is "helping" me. Way back when I was in highschool (yes, I first learned on a manual typewriter), I made sure all of my brothers took beginning typing. I just knew it would come in handy some day! Little creeps have never even said "thank you!" All of their handwriting was so horrible, I did charge them for typing their papers

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over the years I've learned to type fast. Well fast in my eyes. about 110 wpm. but since 1990 I've been doing almost exclusively computer work, and including writing lines of code. I was able to write code fluently, like we write text. It was pretty cool. But I've since lost that ability.

I also make a lot of errors. But I type fast so I don't pay attention to most of them. I'll use the world their instead of there, hear rather than here etc. It's not a grammatical error either, it's do to just going to fast. I mean it IS grammar, and it IS an error, but I know the difference. but when you type fluently you find that your brain knows the word but the fingers don't always type it
Most of your typing is muscle memory, you dont think in letters, it's words

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I type somewhere between the two. I had to learn to type very quickly for a job. My fingers aren't in the traditional correct positions, but I never look at the keyboard. Had an employer call this method of typing "keyboarding".

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh also, I've tried the dvorak and I'm too lazy to retrain myself. If I was really looking for speed I'd probably do taht. And Bonnie I'm just like you, my hands are nowhere near the right position and I'm betting a real typing instructor would puke if they watched which fingers hit which keys on my keyboard

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fall in between "hunt and peck" and the proper way , "lift and look". I type around 34-35 wpm. If I am free typing like here, I don't have to look quite as much but when keying in a doc. its harder for me. I don't have the knack for just looking at the doc. and not the keyboard. But I am taking a doc. processing class so I will get better.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hunt and search and peck and poke, I pretty much am a lousy typer
I am so slow I hate to type, my posts are mostly very short because of it.
I type about 3-5 words a minute
Thats really not funny tho

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I touch type though accuracy may not be the best. Sometimes my brain thinks faster than my hands can type. Makes for some interesting typos.

Originally Posted by wyatturpsmom

... I made sure all of my brothers took beginning typing. I just knew it would come in handy some day! Little creeps have never even said "thank you!"
Mom made sure her little brother took a typing class in high school. He wasn't happy as it lowered his GPA (big hands meant he didn't get an A ) but he later thanked her when he could type his own field reports instead of having to wait for a secretary to do them.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Touch-typing here. Transcribing dictation from a dictaphone increased my typing speed incredibly. My daughter will talk to me while I'm typing and I'll be looking at her as I type away - she says it annoys her that I can do that.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm kinda of in the middle, I use both hands and most of the fingers on them
, but I have to look at at the keyboard as I type. What I do when I'm typing up a paper or something is I read a line and then type it from memory- I've gotten some of my best re-wording this way
When I'm typing on here, I just look at the keyboard and type what I'm thinking!