Are you a cat or a dog person?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm both :D I can't imagine life without either species to snuggle up to.....and bedtime isn't bedtime unless I've got my greyhound under the covers with me :heart3:

Last edited:

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like both to a point like I love my dads buddies dog Charlie (basset/beagle mix) he's the cutest. But as an owner I prefer cats simply because it's easier to clean up a litter box than an entire back yard lol.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat. I have a dog and have had one for  years but if I REALLY  had to choose one or the other, I'd choose cat. I have wanted a cat my whole life- ever since I can remember wanting anything. My mom hates cats so she wouldn't let me have one and my DH was allergic so once again I couldn't have one. If I get another dog after this one crosses the bridge, it won't be for quite a while. 

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From my own observations, I find cat people usually think dogs are cool. While dog people think cats are ~~EVIL~~ 

This isn't true across all people of course! But I just find it funny how people who don't like cats think about cats. I see cats as an acquired taste. Haha! But I am every bit of a cat person! Dogs are nice and super friendly but having a cats love is also so very special! It's like being in a secret club.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

From my own observations, I find cat people usually think dogs are cool. While dog people think cats are ~~EVIL~~ 

This isn't true across all people of course! But I just find it funny how people who don't like cats think about cats. I see cats as an acquired taste. Haha! But I am every bit of a cat person! Dogs are nice and super friendly but having a cats love is also so very special! It's like being in a secret club.
That's very true about a lot of dog people. I don't deal with them. Once they make up their minds, that's it. A lot of times, it's like talking to a brick

People who think they don't like cats might actually be afraid of them but don't want to admit that. My mom hates cats and her reason is that they are "sneaky". WHAT? Even as a very young child that made no sense to me. I've always wondered if it was really a phobia. She'd never admit it if it was. 

When I first met DH, he used to tell me that he hated cats. I didn't believe him. He was allergic to them though. The funny thing is that cats were drawn to him like magnets. No matter where we went, if there was a cat, it wanted to be near him. I saw that and knew he was lying. Cats are amazing judges of character and they know how people really feel about them. After yet another cat forced itself into his lap and refused to budge, I just looked at him and said, "you like cats, don't you?" He had to admit that he did. I guess he was raised to believe that cats are women's pets and men should have dogs because it's not "manly" to love cats. Again- WHAT? Who thinks this way? He loved all animals and they loved him right back. We were never able to have a cat because of his allergies but if he were here now and not allergic (or had a hazmat suit to live in), I know that my cats would adore him and he them. 

Sometimes people do like cats but don't know it. They just need to meet the right cat to figure it out. 

Last edited:

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm both a cat and dog person! I don't trust people who say they "hate" cats! I had a magnet on my refrigerator that said... "He asked me to choose between him or the cats.... I miss him sometimes" :)
I can't imagine life without a cat or dog.

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

That's very true about a lot of dog people. I don't deal with them. Once they make up their minds, that's it. A lot of times, it's like talking to a brick

People who think they don't like cats might actually be afraid of them but don't want to admit that. My mom hates cats and her reason is that they are "sneaky". WHAT? Even as a very young child that made no sense to me. I've always wondered if it was really a phobia. She'd never admit it if it was. 

When I first met DH, he used to tell me that he hated cats. I didn't believe him. He was allergic to them though. The funny thing is that cats were drawn to him like magnets. No matter where we went, if there was a cat, it wanted to be near him. I saw that and knew he was lying. Cats are amazing judges of character and they know how people really feel about them. After yet another cat forced itself into his lap and refused to budge, I just looked at him and said, "you like cats, don't you?" He had to admit that he did. I guess he was raised to believe that cats are women's pets and men should have dogs because it's not "manly" to love cats. Again- WHAT? Who thinks this way? He loved all animals and they loved him right back. We were never able to have a cat because of his allergies but if he were here now and not allergic (or had a hazmat suit to live in), I know that my cats would adore him and he them. 

Sometimes people do like cats but don't know it. They just need to meet the right cat to figure it out. 

Those are very interesting reasons to dislike cats. I've never heard of cats being too feminine reason before. What a shame your DH was allergic and I'm glad you coaxed it out of him to admit he loves cats. :) 

I was listening to a few podcasts that featured animal communicators and they all said cats know instantly who loves them and who doesn't. One even said if a cat knows you don't like them, they'll be extra nasty to you. 
 (I don't particularly have an opinion whether or not it's possible to communicate with animals but it doesn't hurt to believe in it a little!)

Yes, I agree. People who don't like cats just haven't met the right one yet. The payoff is so great though once we do meet our dear cats! 

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I love cats and dogs, although I was originally a dog person. Then my DH brought home Poppy the pregnant cat and it was all over. I was hooked for life!

missycab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm more a cat person. If I see a cat in the street, I want to pet it, talk to it. With a dog, I'm more afraid of how it will behave. I guess I find dogs more unstable than cats. Just the other day, I was walking home and these two little dogs (In size) came running towards me in an unfriendly way. Luckily the owner was near... Two years ago, a boxer that I knew that was dangerous almost attacked me (I yelled at it and this fortunately scared it).
That being said, I've had dogs and still I find I can communicate better with a cat. Also, you can allow the cat to do things that you can't allow a dog.
And for dog people who are cat haters... They know nothing!

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to be a dog person when I was younger growing up. Not that I didn't like cats, we just always had more dogs than cats.  Then I met my husband and his family all had cats, and he was a cat person, and he has totally converted me.  I still love both, but we only have cats, and I think I'm more of a cat person now.

daishain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Neither.

I seen no reason or merit behind limiting my affection to just one of the two species most suitable to join a human family. Oh both species have their unique advantages, but given the opportunity to have both, I will always choose to do so.

Hell, the only reason I'd stop there is that most of the other species I'd bring in would end up causing serious problems.

renflox

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've liked cats since I can remember, I've always thought they are such beautiful animals and I had to wait till I was 15 for my parents to finally allow me to own a cat.

The only dog that I've owned was such a lovely dog, a Chihuahua, everyone loved her in the family but she died more than 5 years ago and we never got another dog, now I just don't "understand" dogs.

I think they can be really cute and they are of course very smart and loyal but I just don't get them anymore, like I feel weird around them LOL Has this happened to someone else?

I'm definitely a cat person.

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've always have wanted a dog, but with having two great 9 month old male siblings and my new addition 2 year old female I have changed my tune. I'm officially a cat person.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was originally a dog person... but have always liked cats. Now I'm both since we have cats now. :) I can't choose between them.

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've always been a bit afraid of dogs.  I think the only dog I wasn't really nervous around was a miniature chihuahua that my stepdaughter had.  But that little guy was SO hyperactive, you couldn't hold him, he would squirm like crazy, or would run around the floor like a wind up toy.  We don't allow friends' dogs in the house because of our cats but we let that chihuahua in.  He was so small our cats weren't even scared of him--they just kind of looked at him like "What is THAT?"