Are Wiskers A Sign Of Sickness

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok i'm not sure if this is the right post or not but my dad brought up something and know i'm worried about it. My one female Ally has reacurring uri (closet thing i could of to explain) that gets triggered so easily. The vets have said her lungs are good and its in the nose but nothing we've tried seems to treat it. So it an on going issue to work on. Anyway this doesn't seem to effect her aside from sounding stuffy or conguested. She does everything the others do. Since she never showed any distressing sign i've not let it get to me just try to treat it as it comes. But like i said she been to the vet and actually several different ones and deemed healthy and does everything normal.

That said my dad said she looks sick because her wiskers are droopy/low and lifeless. I'm like but all of the cats have droopy wiskers except for the 3 1 year olds and Ace (he got some pstd issues) but their the most active cats always on the go playful.

So after looking it up i'm still not sure if its just she calm and relaxed or if she really that sick. I mean i get she might not feel that good if she stuffy and possibly over ate tonight. But she dosent act sick. She not hiding much (she doesn't like it when the two males are glued to her if she doesn't smack them she'll tuck away somewhere for space) so you tell me what you think? (Sorry its so dark light blew out.)
20181206_013041.jpg

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the picture it looks like that's just the way her whiskers grow. Cats are able to move their whiskers; when they're investigating something new, for instance, the whiskers may come forward. Does Ally do that? If not, there may be something a bit "off" about her control of those muscles, but that's the extent of the problem; I wouldn't think it's a major issue.

Is your dad one of those people who worries a lot, who's always a bit tensed up when things are going well because it must mean that something really nasty is about to happen?

Margret

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh! First time I have heard of this. All I know about whiskers is that they should not be cut or trimmed. I need to look at my cats' whiskers when I get home today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the picture it looks like that's just the way her whiskers grow. Cats are able to move their whiskers; when they're investigating something new, for instance, the whiskers may come forward. Does Ally do that? If not, there may be something a bit "off" about her control of those muscles, but that's the extent of the problem; I wouldn't think it's a major issue.

Is your dad one of those people who worries a lot, who's always a bit tensed up when things are going well because it must mean that something really nasty is about to happen?

Margret
Yes my dad a worrier and stress on eveything but he just kinda off handed said it when i showed him this (he does live with me so he see her regularly) we both feel bad hearing her being so stuffy sounding but like i said it doesn't seem to effect her. He also prefer playful active cats like the 5 younger cats three 1 year old and two 23 month olds. Ally at 3ish is more calm just pet me type of cat but she the queen bee of the house has know problems letting the others no it lol. I can't say if she can move the wiskers around because i don't alway watch them. However come to think of it maybe im unknowingly reading them because i always seem to know the difference between when she stareing to attack Talia or when she just being watchful. We are just now after a year getting those two to relax around each other. Now getting Ace to stop chaseing Talia is another story.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have heard of cats whiskers drooping when sick, but it's hard to tell from just a single photo. I'd need a healthy vs sick photo (maybe even video) to compare since each cat's whiskers grow differently. It's more they are too sick to care what is going on around them so their whiskers hang low, not moving them around, even when something interesting is going on or near them. You would notice other signs along with it though, the cat will be acting mopey, which doesn't sound like it's the case.

Another thing I'm wondering, since the cat has been checked out and deemed otherwise healthy, have you checked to see if the problem is allergies? Cats can get allergies just like humans, and just like humans common allergies can include things like dust and pollen.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you asked your vet about Feline Rhinotracheal Virus? It is commonly known as Feline Herpes. My Julie Mewmar has it and needs vet visits about every six months (today at 3:15) for large flare-ups. I give her L-lysine twice a day to help her system fight the virus. Don't panic. Lots of us have cats with flare-ups.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These guys are rescues and the oldest male diffently been exposed to herpes and has eye issues from it which comes and goes. Ally not been tested but has been treated a couple of times as if she has it but none of the meds have actually worked to treat her and after a few does she will hied from me or refuse to come near me. The didn't think it was asthma but only said allergies might be possible. Getting her to the vets office is problematic because she gets completely stressed out. I don't have to many video but let me see

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
FB_IMG_1544125239085.jpg
FB_IMG_1544125201800.jpg
FB_IMG_1544125176545.jpg
ok here we go some different pictures of Ally and one video (from her vet visit but man can she voice her displeasure when she wants to )

Attachments

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My vet checked Julie out and gave her Depo and Convenia. I can understand about rescue cats. All my ladies, except Julie, came from a shelter in Texas.

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah all we know about them they went about two months without being feed. The 7 are from the a colony of 35 cats. They where under threat of being killed. A small group of woman band together and managed to get every one relocated most into homes but a few went to a barn. Herpes and some others ran though out this colony. A lot of then where very sick. It been a long fight to put weight on them and get them healthy and tame. Currently Andie is the only one who won't allow much contact with humans. She come a long way from last year. We think she just a cats cat love playing with the others but only intrested in us if we got food but recently she become more watchful of us with the others and while approach us a bit more until we reach out then she spins tail up and walks off lol