Are videos for cats teasing or entertaining?

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We just bought a video for cats the other day. It has lots of various birds flying, fish swimming, insects buzzing around types of things for cats to watch. We picked it up because I just love watching Sinbad watching tv, and so I thought I'd buy him his own video designed for his own tastes.

Here he is watching: 

But I'm wondering, based on the way he was responding to it - are they good for him? I mean, when we watches tv with us, he just sits on the couch or the floor watching (he loves clint eastwood!). But with this video, he's right up against the screen like this, and he tries to catch the birds and fish. He ended up knocking everything off the tv stand and flailing all over the place a few times as he frantically pawed at the screen trying to interact with what he was seeing.

Is he being entertained or just frustrated and teased? Are there cues I can look for to figure it out? I made sure to play with him for an especially long time after we turned it off just in case, but I don't want to continue playing it for him if it's teasing him.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the video is for short burst of entertainment.  I would keep the viewings short, but it does seem to entertain him. I wouldn't leave the tv on for long periods of time or unsupervised.  Yet watching for 5-10 minutes each day could be entertaining for him. 

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I really do understand what you mean, Losna... but then I'm the type who feels guilty about getting mine to chase a laser light..

I agree with ShadowsRescue about the TV... short is good.

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think the video is good if you let the cat to watch it for a short time like 5 minutes to 10 at least and then play with him ^^

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess we will play it for him, but turn it off when he starts his initial batting at the screen and use his wand toy with him. That's what we were pondering doing, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't a horrible tease. 

Thanks for the replies everyone.