Are Ticked Tabbies Rare?

Felix&Archie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_0643.JPG
IMG_0644.JPG
My old cat who passed away a few years ago was ticked tabby. I remember his vet saying he looked like he could be mixed with Abyssinian. I've been to a lot of shelters/pet stores and seen a lot of cats in general but I never see ticked tabbies. Ever. Why don't I ever see them? Are they rare?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think ticked tabbies are rarer among the randombred population than other patterns, at least from what I've observed. I don't know why, though, I've heard that the gene for ticked tabby (Ta) is dominant to the gene for mackeral tabby (T). :dunno: Some TCS genetics experts will probably be able to give you a more in-depth explaination. :thumbsup:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My friends here in Waldron had a ticked tabby. They called her 'Squirrel Kitty' She had the Oriental Shorthair triangular head and body like a weasel.

One of her daughters is ticked, also. I will try to get a pic of her on here.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
View attachment 189468 I got a picture of Sweet Pea.
Yeah- there's a cat at the shelter I volunteer at who looks a lot like your gorgeous Sweet Pea (except all ticked tabby- no white). She has the same long, lanky body and big ears. Unfortunately I don't have a good picture of her. She's so elegant, though, I love watching her slink around her "playpen" and leap gracefully to the highest perches.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think they are quite rare. I saw once some time ago that was up for adoption, but that is the only one I've ever seen. My Lily is a tortie/calico tuxedo, but interestingly, some of her patches are ticked fur.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A guess she is really a torbie / caliby, the tabby part being the ticked variant.

So it may be the ticked arent that uncommon, but many owners of torties dont recognize this. Perhaps not even we on this forum.

Yes, I agree with Abyeb, the pattern as such is dominant and strong, its peculiar its not spread out more than it is.

I think they are quite rare. I saw once some time ago that was up for adoption, but that is the only one I've ever seen. My Lily is a tortie/calico tuxedo, but interestingly, some of her patches are ticked fur.