Are they Snowshoe, Siamese?

CarinaAnderson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought they had the look of snowshoes, but a couple months down the road and they are still extremely light. When will their colors be done developing? Extremely affectionate, sometimes vocal and like to perform tricks like jumping into my arms. Phineas and Phoebe. About 2 months apart in age. Adopted from local Humane Shelter.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Neither! They are points shorthair....Domestic shorthair. The coloring pattern essentially as in Snowshoe yes. But this wont make them snowshoes.
And they are points.... But their siamese ancestor may be even 50 generations back...

The cat in middle photo looks quite lean, its possible this cat has some siamese or oriental background not far ago. If he has this body also as fully grown adult, we may even be pretty sure he has some Ancestry of some lean breed cat.

But that is all there is to guess about a possible ancestry....

for all practical reasons and purposes, they are domestic shorthair. :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Agreed, domestic short-haired but pointed coloring.

Pointed cats color is never really done developing. Its heat sensitive so as they are exposed to cold and their bodies ability to regulate heat weakens with age (and that's just a general mammal thing, not a problem), they get darker. They will continue to darken their entire lives to some degree. Some do stay lighter, while others get almost black. I think Link was around that light tone/color when he was 6-7 months old. Now at 6 years ....

20200311_173206.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very cute!

With so much white, it is not so easy to determine their point color from these pictures, but there are some clues.

This one appears to be blue lynx point and white in color. The gray tail tip tells us that the cat is dilute (blue). The nose leather color tells us that the cat is probably a lynx point (tabby point); a solid point cat would have a dark nose.
Phoebe.jpg

The other one has a lot of white on the face, so we can't judge from nose leather color, but it looks like a solid point, since there are no apparent tabby markings on the tail and body. My guess from the pictures would be that the color is seal point and white. You can get a better idea for yourself by comparing the two cats' tail tips and ear tips. Seal point will have a darker tail tip and ear tips, compared to blue point.
cats.jpg Phineas.jpg

So given these pictures I would describe your cats as:
- blue lynx point and white domestic shorthair
- seal point and white domestic shorthair
The colors will become more obvious as they mature, because pointed cats normally darken up with age.

Most cats are not any particular breed, and as others have said, it is most likely that your cats don't have recent Siamese breed ancestry. Probably they simply inherited their own special mix of traits from the domestic cat gene pool. However, domestic shorthairs are great cats in their own right! :) Enjoy them!