Are These Odd Things?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always wondered if some of the possibly "weird" things I do are actually fairly common.

For me, when I shower, I do the exact same things in order every time (shampoo hair, soap up my body, rinse my hair, add conditioner, rinse off the soap, then rinse out the conditioner).

I also have a favorite spoon (my mom does this too) and I only eat cereal with milk in drinking glasses (it's easier to transport since I don't use my table).

What are some things that might be odd, that you do? Maybe we can confirm whether we are weird or not. :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The girls have seven flavors of their wellness food. I like to feed them in the same order every time. My fiancé went out of order recently when it was time for a new can and he was the one home to feed the cats and it bugged me a bit even though the cats didn't care.

That's only one of a thousand odd things I do, I'm sure.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Who cares? Let your freak flag fly! :lol:

I also shower in order. Or else I'll forget something, lol. I'll get out and realize I didn't soap my ears or whatever. So it has to be the same routine every time.

I use the cat food in a particular order. My mom just grabs whatever can is closest. Drives me crazy if I have to feed her cats. Why are they so many cans of Mixed Grill and not enough of Turkey and Giblets? Oh, because one is closer to the front of the box. . .:cringe:

At my parents' house I have favorite dishes and utensils, because they have an odd assortment of various patterns they've ended up with over the years. At my house I have matched sets so no favorites but I rotate them too---freshly clean ones go under the ones already in the drawer/cabinet so they get used in order. Gotta keep the wear even! Undies and socks have to be in order too.

I don't eat cold cereal anymore but I wish I had thought of that when I was a kid! We almost never ate at the table and bowls are hard to balance on couch cushions or your lap.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I have fruit with a meal I eat it last, like it's a dessert. I've only recently started doing this. It could be because I used to only have fruit in cereal. I'm trying to eat more of it.

W Willowy I do that with socks and underwear too, so they get used an equal number of times.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I'm weird I don't have a problem with it. :D

I do everything in a certain order in the shower too. It just makes sense to me. It's really annoying to hop out and realize you forgot to shave your armpits. :lol:Every person in my house seems to have a utensil preference. :lol2: I was much more routine driven with my kids when they were little. To the point my mother commented on how ordered the kids were when they'd be at her house. We've loosened up quite a bit and now my sons shoes, jacket, clothing, etc just end up wherever they land. :hmmm:

My other answers all seem to be food related... :paperbag:

I like to eat all the crust off my sandwiches first. One of my co-workers always got a kick out of it. I just call it saving the best for last! :smash: The exception is when dipping it in soup. You need something to hold on to.

If I'm having some of the kids cereal like Lucky Charms I will save most of the marshmallows for the end. More saving the best for last. :p

I used to eat pizza semi-backwards too. Like I'd eat the the pointy tip first and then turn it around when there was more to hold onto so then I could get the crust out of the way. But hey that's not as weird as my step-dad who always takes 2 slices and puts one on top of the other so it's like a sandwich. When one of my step-siblings graduated his ex-wife walked in their kitchen and saw his plate on the counter and immediately knew it was his. We both laughed. ;)

I drink water out of mugs. The handles are easier to hold onto for drinking and refilling. Plus they fit better in my dishwasher than our wide regular drinking glasses.

I like my socks to match. It really used to bother me back in the days of wearing cute fun socks. Now I just have to have the same style. There was a time I wouldn't have gone out with pink toes on one foot and green on the other. I still think wearing different styles would be very weird for me though. I've not even considered that I guess. :lol:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like to eat all the crust off my sandwiches first. One of my co-workers always got a kick out of it. I just call it saving the best for last! :smash:
If I'm having some of the kids cereal like Lucky Charms I will save most of the marshmallows for the end. More saving the best for last. :p
I do both of those, too! I like to eat my food least favorite to most favorite when I have separate types of food and it's not all just blended up in a stew or something.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I’m another who does the shower stuff in the same order. :)

I don’t like the different foods on my plate to touch one another. It drives me crazy that my husband puts a bit of several different foods on his fork and then eats it. All of those different flavors and textures mixed together. Bleah. Not to mention the fact that I’ve spent a lot of time making it with the right balance of seasonings to get the best taste. Grrr.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
In the shower (and it's always a shower, not a bath): wet my hair and shampoo, rinse and then apply conditioner. Then I wash me, starting at my face and working down. A good rinse, followed by rinsing the conditioner out of my hair. That way the conditioner can do its thing over a longer time. Moisturizer, a towel around my hair, then I dry off. And life goes on.

I don't worry much about cat food. They get what they get and it doesn't bother them. I will rotate the cans though. The most recent purchase goes to the back of the drawer and everything moves front as I go.

I am really anal about neatness, though, and it makes Dear Richard crazy. He comes in, throws his coat on a chair, hangs his hat on another chair, takes off his shoes, and puts them under the piano in the living room. He will not, simply will not, put any of it away. He says that he's going to use his coat and hat the next morning, he'll put his shoes on the next morning....why bother? Makes me nuts. I come home and hang my coat in the closet, take my work clothes off, and put them in the hamper. His clothes end up on the rocking chair in the bedroom. So when I'm trying to separate clothes for laundry, I'll no sooner get it all separated when he'll bring his stuff into the bathroom, say "Here ya go" and dump it on the floor. He does it on purpose, I know he does.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yup, i have a shower routine, too! i started that after i watched the movie Cheaper by the Dozen, with Clifton Webb and Myrna Loy the first time -- it's one of my favorite movies! it made sense to me, to shower in the most efficient way.

everything has a place, and everything is in it's place in our home. that way i rarely lose track of things.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a favorite spoon. :biggrin:

Most of our mugs are in pairs. It makes me crazy when my husband grabs coffee for both of us and doesn't grab a pair. Sometimes he will have tea in the afternoon and will split up a pair instead of grabbing one of the single mugs.

I wash laundry in a certain order.

Honesty, I have so many of these odd habits tht I can't even think of them all.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Doesn't everybody have a shower routine? Make-up, too?

I'm a bit anal about cat food. It's arranged by flavor on two shelves (of industrial shelving units), and I always work from left to right. When we're away, I line the cans up that way on a kitchen counter, and pet sitters actually appreciate it.

I have certain mugs just for coffee and others just for tea. :paperbag:

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We're creatures of habit and routine and taking the shower thing as an example, I'll bet everyone will have a routine for that.

It drives me crazy that my husband puts a bit of several different foods on his fork and then eats it.
Mmmm, I think that's ok personally. I think my wife is odd in that she'll eat the potatoes and veg first then the meat last. No, no, no. One should eat a bit of this and then a bit of that.

I'll also bet that everyone has a morning coffee/tea routine that's set in stone.

To answer your original question simply, yes we're all odd and weird. Hang on, if we're ALL odd then that means we're all average and normal.

My brain hurts

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t have a shower routine, I instinctively pick whatever floats my boat at that moment. I also sometimes can’t remember if I washed my hair and I’m sure I do it twice once in a while to be sure.

I like my plate to be proportionally the size of what food I’m eating - if it’s a small portion I want a small plate.

I hate when my BF uses a ceramic mug for water - just wrong! Before we moved in together he didn’t have a silverware organizer. One apartment they were loose in the drawer and at another place they were on a shelf! And instead of a garbage can he used paper bags. Rectifying those things were the conditions to move in together. I guess that’s more him being weird than me ...

rgwanner

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The cats get the same flavor so that is not an issue. One of our cats has a sensitive stomach and is picky. We found a wet food and a dry food that everyone will eat and no one throws up so we just stick with that.

In the shower I start with my face and go down. Hair is last.

I use underwear, towels and washcloths in order. Newly laundered things go in the back and I use the from the front. That way things wear out equally and I use them all. Socks depend on what I am wearing.

When I eat I eat all of one thing before starting the next. Not necessarily in order - meat, veggie, etc. - but not mixed.

Judging from the posts, I think cat people are all a little OCD.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing I do when I get home from anywhere is to wash my hands. In an average day I probably wash them half a dozen times. A little OCD but then again I haven’t picked up a cold in more than six years.

Oh yeah, I am also a bit compulsive about my towels. There are hair towels and there body towels and I don’t use one for the other. Not wiping my face on something I dried my butt with.. I also am very particular about kitchen towels. They have their own hamper and are washed separately from anything else.

Last edited:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fresh and frozen food for man or beast has to be labeled and dated, but that's just basic practice, right? :paranoid:
I've had one too many instances where I decide to thaw us out some kind of mystery meat for dinner that has no label and I think it might be something really good, like an eye of round, but it turns out to be a 7 year old freezer burnt beef tongue meant for dog food. :doh2:

Anytime I'm recruited to do some laundry I always have to run and empty cycle with bleach to make sure the machine is clean before I throw my ski mask or underwear or whatever in there, especially if we just washed a blanket covered in dog hair and cat puke or a bed that housed 3 cats with raging UTI's.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
To answer your original question simply, yes we're all odd and weird.
:yeah:

I think everyone has a routine for something. Anything from showering, to laundry, to eating habits, to morning/nighttime ritual or even driving. However, I find the older I get the more set I am in my routine. :wink:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yeah:

I think everyone has a routine for something. Anything from showering, to laundry, to eating habits, to morning/nighttime ritual or even driving. However, I find the older I get the more set I am in my routine. :wink:
About twice a year my wife lets me out of my cage (no muzzle since 2016 :lol:) and we go somewhere with friends, and every time we do I have a great time but then I get all irritated when I get home past my bedtime and still have things to do. And that doesn't included Baby Girls 2 hours of demanding my attention to give me to cold shoulder for messing up HER routine, and then the hour it takes her to decide she doesn't hate me anymore and will sit in my lap, but won't enjoy it :biggrin:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing that guests always comment on is that I have a stack of hand towels in the bathroom. I use about 3 a day. I don't like damp and/or smelly hand towels! And that's just for me. . .if I had kids I wonder how many we'd go through. I just buy the "hotel" bundle of hand towels at Sam's Club, nothing fancy or expensive. I'd use paper towels but that feels wasteful. If I'm doing laundry anyway, what's a couple more hand towels?