Are these fresh herbs cat safe?

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Not exactly sure where to post this so I won't mind if it's relocated.
Gypsy has been a bit depressed because of the weird weather we have been having. 60's a week or so ago then roller coasting from warmer to colder. It's been chilly and dreary last 2 days with rain today & tomorrow and she's not wanting to go outside. We have a Hy-Vee grocery store that sells fresh potted herbs, she enjoys their wheat grass, and I did a quick google search on some of their other herbs and found that dill & mint may be safe for her to interact with. I'm hoping to get some feedback from here. Thanks.
20211228_212517.jpg
20211228_212732.jpg

Ashanti

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mint is toxic to cats. Dont know about dill. To be certain of safety I would stick to only cat grasses.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We have a Hy-Vee grocery store that sells fresh potted herbs, she enjoys their wheat grass, and I did a quick google search on some of their other herbs and found that dill & mint may be safe for her to interact with. I'm hoping to get some feedback from here. Thanks.
Maybe you like to check this out first?
cats-plant-list

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Mint is toxic to cats. Dont know about dill. To be certain of safety I would stick to only cat grasses.
I've got some grass growing for her just wanted something to give her something sooner. Bought her some wheat grass

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
leafandpaw.com
The Pet Safe Kitchen
Herbs Safe for Cats
Cats are serious snackers, especially on green stringy things (yarn, twist ties, houseplants). These herbs are safe for kitties to light munch, but too much of one will most likely lead to a tummy ache and throw up at 3am.

• Basil
  • Sage
  • Cilantro
  • Catnip (in small amounts only)
  • Dandelion
  • Parsley (in small amounts only)
  • Thyme
  • Dill (in small amounts only)
  • Rosemary
  • Valerian Root
Herbs Toxic to Cats
  • Oregano
  • Marjoram
  • Cocoa
  • Epazote
  • Tarragon
  • Chives and Scallions
  • Cannabis
  • Bay Leaf
  • Borage
  • Sorrel
  • Chamomile
  • Lemon Verbena and Lemon Grass
  • Lavender (in large quantities)
  • Mint (in large quantities)

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
Although this site says lemon grass is good for them
https://lifeandcats.com/cat-friendly-herb-garden
How to Grow a Cat-Friendly Herb Garden
Health and Wellness / January 3, 2020
Which Herbs Are Safe For Cats?
Catnip
Any good cat garden must include catnip of course. If Kitty can be convinced to leave the plant alone until it flowers, he will love the buds and blooms. I’ve rarely been able to keep my cats out of the catnip to get it to that point.

Valerian
Consider adding valerian in addition to catnip. While it is calming to us, it has the reverse effect on Kitty. Some cats that aren’t genetically programmed to respond to catnip do react to valerian.

Seasoning Herbs
Herbs you regularly use in cooking can also enrich Kitty’s palate. Obviously your obligate carnivore cat doesn’t need the herbs in his diet, but he will enjoy a nibble. They provide micronutrients and health benefits as well.

These herbs are generally considered safe for cats to nibble:

• Basil
  • Cilantro/coriander
  • Dill
  • Rosemary
  • Thyme
  • Parsley
  • Basil
  • Sage
  • Lemon Verbena
  • Dandelion
Definitely skip anything in the onion/garlic family. They cause damage to Kitty’s liver. Oregano, bay, peppermint, and tarragon are all likely to cause vomiting and diarrhea. That’s not the result we are looking for.

Herbs with Health Benefits for Your Cat:
Several herbs that are safe to grow around cats have benefits for Kitty’s health. He can nibble off the plant, but most of these cat-safe herbs are more effective as tinctures, teas, and topical rinses.

• German Chamomile (Be sure to get the right plants – English chamomile is toxic): Calming for a nervous kitty. Helpful for digestive upset. Also a go-to for aiding a kitty with goopy eyes.
  • Calendula: Soothing topical for irritated skin.
  • Licorice Root: Cats seem to like the taste of licorice. It is anti-inflammatory and can help soothe allergies, endocrine and digestive issues, and respiratory problems. Also can help arthritic kitties.
  • Cat’s Claw: healthy digestion and liver detoxification
  • Dandelion Root: immune system booster
  • Goldenseal: made into tinctures and teas, Goldenseal is soothing for wounds, allergies, and skin infections. Safe for use around Kitty’s eyes as well.
Sprouts:
Don’t stress if Kitty helps himself to the sunflower and bean sprouts you love in your salad. These microgreens are tasty and pack a nutritional punch for you. It definitely won’t hurt Kitty to enjoy them alongside you.

Try sprouting the top of that carrot you threw in your soup pot and let Kitty munch on the fronds. He might not like the carrots themselves, but he will enjoy the leaves.

It is all so confusing. That's why I am hoping for some input from site members.

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
“Most herbs are toxic to dogs and cats, except for basil,” said George Pisegna, deputy director chief of horticulture at the Horticultural Society of New York. “If your cat chews on basil it's probably because they really like it. Not because it's just something to chew on.Apr 25, 2019

dustydiamond1

Top Cat
Purraise
I can't find the original article which said mint was ok, all the rest said no! so I'll wash and freeze it to cook with later.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dill and basil are pretty much considered safe. I find that many articles offer conflicting advice on various topics, including herbs and other plants. Here are links to sources of information that I use.In addition to asking my country vet, I am a big fan of consultingTufts University (and find a $20/yr subscription to Catnip Magazine very inforrmative as well as affordable) and Maddies Forum for the latest in contemporary vet practices. I especially like dustydiamond1 dustydiamond1 's suggestion of sprouting carrot tops.
Cat-Safe Herbs and Grasses - Tufts Catnip
Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats