Are these cats fighting or playing?

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all, I’ve posted on this before but want as much insight as possible. The quick background is that we recently adopted a 7 month old black cat and brought him home to a 6 year old orange cat. The orange cat is a Velcro-act, very very sweet, and previously the only animal in the home. We have followed through with all introduction practices and they are now sharing the same space. It’s been about two weeks. I am very unclear if they are playing with each other or fighting. Here is a video I posted to YouTube showing what we experience:
Please feel free to watch the other videos I posted on the channel, too. Neither cat is hiding, I will catch them napping on the window sill together, but then I see this and have a hard time accepting this is play. I know they say play can look rough to inexperienced cat owners but it really scares me to see them acting like this when I’m unsure if it’s aggressive or not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Edit - I stop the videos short because I get scared and interrupt the behavior.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These are even more clear than your other videos I watched. 100% play.
I get scared because I noticed some of the orange cats fur in the kittens claws. Also the orange cat seems to bite his neck a lot

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fur comes out at the drop of a hat. Unless there are roots, screaming or other signs of hostility it doesn't mean anything by itself.

Biting the neck is normal play. These are predators, that is how cats kill prey in the wild, so practicing it is a normal part of play. If the orange cat was biting the kitten in the neck for real there would be a wound, screaming and the kitten wouldn't be coming back for more.

You'll probably see the orange cat rake the kitten with its back legs at some point too. That can be kind of freaky looking when a big cat does it to a kitten. That is a normal defensive behavior in a cat fight, so its also something they practice in play. In a real fight, the nails would be full out and it would done with intent to injure. In play, it just looks scary, but the nails aren't out and no injuries.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fur comes out at the drop of a hat. Unless there are roots, screaming or other signs of hostility it doesn't mean anything by itself.

Biting the neck is normal play. These are predators, that is how cats kill prey in the wild, so practicing it is a normal part of play. If the orange cat was biting the kitten in the neck for real there would be a wound, screaming and the kitten wouldn't be coming back for more.

You'll probably see the orange cat rake the kitten with its back legs at some point too. That can be kind of freaky looking when a big cat does it to a kitten. That is a normal defensive behavior in a cat fight, so its also something they practice in play. In a real fight, the nails would be full out and it would done with intent to injure. In play, it just looks scary, but the nails aren't out and no injuries.
Got it. I feel more assured hearing you say it 100% looks like play. I’ve watched other videos of cats playing but truly didn’t anticipate being so startled by it in real life with my own babes. Especially when it’s new for all of us and just don’t know what to expect. You’re like a cat site super star and I again appreciate your help!!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Absolutely 100% play and pretty gentle at that. I love the first video how the ginger comes up with a clear play invite, the black and white declines and then the ginger not only goes off to play be himself but tosses her a toy. Very polite. These two are ready to have fun together so no interference is needed. They may get louder and rougher but it is still play.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Absolutely 100% play and pretty gentle at that. I love the first video how the ginger comes up with a clear play invite, the black and white declines and then the ginger not only goes off to play be himself but tosses her a toy. Very polite. These two are ready to have fun together so no interference is needed. They may get louder and rougher but it is still play.
My gosh it’s so relieving to hear others call it play. My heart has been stopping when they engage like this. It looks SO ROUGH and I’m still trying to capture a longer video of some of their tougher looking encounters! I can’t imagine how they enjoy this but I feel so much better hearing from y’all. Thank you..

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't need any more videos, but if you are worried, sure! Believe me, my most recent kitten was flying around, leaping on the 5 year olds head, and the 5 year old was raking her with his paws. It looked so much rougher than this. As Susan mentioned, these videos are restrained!

Completely normal to be a bit taken aback though, we get that all the time. Never a hassle to look at a video. But my advice would be to pour a glass of win and enjoy the show!

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We don't need any more videos, but if you are worried, sure! Believe me, my most recent kitten was flying around, leaping on the 5 year olds head, and the 5 year old was raking her with his paws. It looked so much rougher than this. As Susan mentioned, these videos are restrained!

Completely normal to be a bit taken aback though, we get that all the time. Never a hassle to look at a video. But my advice would be to pour a glass of win and enjoy the show!
That is advice I won’t have to hear twice! 🍷🍷

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They both have their ears up, the play is episodic with each having a chance, They're quiet--no howling. Clearly play. No worries on your end.

My two guys make it look like the WWE. They body-slam each other and roll around, and even complain and hiss at one another. No fur flies and they're the best of buddies all the time. Your cats are actually rather gentle. I have a two year old female who gets her licks in as well.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They both have their ears up, the play is episodic with each having a chance, They're quiet--no howling. Clearly play. No worries on your end.

My two guys make it look like the WWE. They body-slam each other and roll around, and even complain and hiss at one another. No fur flies and they're the best of buddies all the time. Your cats are actually rather gentle. I have a two year old female who gets her licks in as well.
I’ve been cutting the videos short and interrupting them so they don’t really show the full extent/length of this. I get nervous so stop recording and panic! I’m convicted to power through the next time to get the most accurate shot. The orange cat lets out some noise and occasional hiss as this happens which is one of my worries.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve been cutting the videos short and interrupting them so they don’t really show the full extent/length of this. I get nervous so stop recording and panic! I’m convicted to power through the next time to get the most accurate shot. The orange cat lets out some noise and occasional hiss as this happens which is one of my worries.
Hisses, slaps and sometimes yelps are all part of play

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are too different to always end smoothly. Orange wont be able to match the enthusiasm or activity of a kitten for long. Its only natural that sometimes he will get tired of it first and signal he is done. Conversely, if Orange really gets energized, he might make the kitten uncomfortable enough to cry out a little bit. No injury, but uncomfortable like a head noogie or indian sunburn from big brother. So kitten might squeal or run away. As long as no grudges are held, its all good.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If anyone has just a few more minutes to spare, I will post no more videos after this 😂 if I can be told THIS craziness is play then I will forever rest my case!

This video I think there’s a lot of meowing, also by the end of the video the black cats ears are pinned and orange cats tail is fluffed. I crumbled in the final seconds of it and had to stop:

This video again the black cats ears pin back and he hides in the corner:

And finally, big bite, big meow:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first 10-20 seconds of the first video, I wondered whether orange was saying "get the heck away from me" but then watching the whole thing, nope, they are just playing. The third video, kitten chirps because there is a big ole giant orange thing that jumped on him, and it was uncomfortable a bit. But as you can see from him being chill right after, he is fine.

These guys are friends, straight up, no iffs ands or buts. Orange cat is straight up huge compared to the kitten, so it may look concerning at times, but a stray nail causing a scratch now and then is the only injury you are likely to see. Let em have fun.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The first 10-20 seconds of the first video, I wondered whether orange was saying "get the heck away from me" but then watching the whole thing, nope, they are just playing. The third video, kitten chirps because there is a big ole giant orange thing that jumped on him, and it was uncomfortable a bit. But as you can see from him being chill right after, he is fine.

These guys are friends, straight up, no iffs ands or buts. Orange cat is straight up huge compared to the kitten, so it may look concerning at times, but a stray nail causing a scratch now and then is the only injury you are likely to see. Let em have fun.
This will take some major getting used to on my part! Yikes. Also orange cat is a whopping 17 pounds. He was 23 when I got him so we’ve been dieting 😂. When they make sounds as you’ve heard in the video, not cause for concern they’re hurting one another? Is this fun for them? I just don’t get it lol

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, thats just for fun. Being honest, orange cat is still too heavy (I think orange cats are prone to that) and I'm surprised he is playing so actively with the kitten. Its a really nice good thing for him to get some activity. Good on you for getting him under control.

Kellynorrrris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, thats just for fun. Being honest, orange cat is still too heavy (I think orange cats are prone to that) and I'm surprised he is playing so actively with the kitten. Its a really nice good thing for him to get some activity. Good on you for getting him under control.
Yes he’s named after cheese (pimento) for a good reason...we’re working on it! All the zoomie chasing is good for his weight loss for sure.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
My orange boy Jamie is the youngest cat in a house of much older females who did not play with him. He was rescued at a very young age, so did not know how to play exactly with a cat. Recently I was able to bring in two ferals who had been living on my property, TNRed and cared for, but who transitioned to indoors. At first Jamie did that slappy face paw thing but since the calico girls had learned how to play, they just flipped him on his back and walked away. He eventually figured it out but their play is still based on who can pin who or knock each other off their feet. I agree that yours are playing...any cat who is afraid will get away and if you have ever seen a aggressive cat fight between males you know that this is not it. Cat can play too roughly and there is nothing wrong with just correcting them or distracting them, but yours look like they are friends.