Young Cat
Purraise
3C061196-FE09-4CA5-A12F-B14EFEE8AD8A.jpeg
99D13F96-EE68-4225-AEDE-92B3545BCE5C.jpeg
58CCCA77-2C08-4833-B57B-2246452D5FF6.jpeg
4AAE2C6D-53D8-40A4-A2DE-EF331B905C06.jpeg
E81AD603-3E2F-4B8D-8FF3-A6E306537088.jpeg
244C5CA8-66DF-4097-B320-5CAAB0BBDF76.jpeg
Hello I am buying a kitten and asked breeder I was looking for a black smoke and she said she thinks these 2 are black smoke Siberians hope anyone could help me please. They are 2 week old males.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The first one just looks black and the second like a dark brown tabby patterned one. Do you know what Mom and Dad look like?

Is the breeder registered? I'd think a registered breeder who is going for smoke would know their kittens we're smoke from the beginning. Are they closer to 3 weeks? Those ears and eyes are more 3 week range then 2 week to me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cheryl d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you the mam is silver white tabby and the father is ginger white tabby colour they were born 2 week ago yesterday and she said kittens will be registered when they were born I asked if she had any black smoke kittens as I have been looking for a black smoke Siberian and she said she was 99% certain 1 was a black smoke possibly 2 she said she thinks number 1 is the black smoke now but I thought they had a white eyeliner and I asked her do they have a white root she said she will send a vidio parting the roots tomorrow and the roots were light was her reply.i was thinking there eyes seemed to be open a bit soon as they were open last week.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you have pictures of mom and dad? A member here might be able to guess from them if smoke is even possible with them.

Cheryl d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The first photo is mam second is dad she also said she had a black smoke kitten in a litter a couple year back. I asked her do any of the 2 kittens look like the one you had before and she said the first all black kitten was like that and went lighter later. I have only seen photos of the cats and kittens so I have not met her yet

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
lutece lutece do you have a moment to look at this? It's beyond my experience

I am 99.9% sure the second kitten is going to be similar to Mom in coat, not a black smoke. I think 1 is a little too young to tell but I'd doubt it because it looks very solid dark black right now.

Cheryl d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are 3 girls in the litter that look to be dark brown tabby colours and there is also another male that looks like he’s silver and brown

Cheryl d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s the 3rd male in the litter

Cheryl d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s a photo of the 3 girls wen they were a day old I don’t have any more of the girls

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a breeder of silver and smoke cats, so I am not an expert.

I wonder why the breeder thinks M1 is a smoke. Is mom believed to be homozygous for the inhibitor gene?

To me, M1 appears to be a solid black kitten, M2 appears to be a silver tabby like mom, and M3 could be either a dark silver tabby or maybe a black smoke? When M3 gets a little older and starts getting more coat, it should be more clear what color he is.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not a breeder of silver and smoke cats, so I am not an expert.

I wonder why the breeder thinks M1 is a smoke. Is mom believed to be homozygous for the inhibitor gene?

To me, M1 appears to be a solid black kitten, M2 appears to be a silver tabby like mom, and M3 could be either a dark silver tabby or maybe a black smoke? When M3 gets a little older and starts getting more coat, it should be more clear what color he is.
Thank you.

Cheryl d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you I am not sure but she said she had a black smoke kitten in a litter a few year ago and was all black just like kitten number 1 wen he was born she sent me some photos of that one at 14 weeks but I definitely think number 1 is solid black I thought maybe kitten with m 3 on picture might of been a black smoke. She has asked me to choose which kitten I would like to secure him with a deposit

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Who knows with No.1 and I say that because our MC was pitch black when born and we reserved her looking solid black. She then started to look like Black Smoke and the breeder said, yep she'll be Black Smoke (dad is BS, mom solid black).
She then backed off again and said, no I think she'll be black but by the time we went to get her she sure looked like a Black Smoke.
She's now nearly 5 months old and for sure, Black Smoke like her dad. So I think you may have to wait and see on kitten No. 1 for a while. The fur could change as he matures.

He's a couple of pix to show you what I mean about our Luna
First taken by the breeder when she was about 4 weeks old I believe - she's obviously the black one on the rights side and the second taken about 2 weeks ago when she was about 16 weeks old

Quite the difference!

Cheryl d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww wow! She is beautiful! I love her face and eyes! And thank you so much for the photos and reply I think your right I might have to wait another few week to see how they develop :)

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
If you're set on having a black smoke cat, I would wait on paying a deposit until you're sure about the color.