Are there other men cat lovers out there??

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey, welcome to the crowd. I see more Navy vets on here than in the town where I live. My favorite plane is the Tomcat.  If you have any questions, ask on here or PM me or one of the mentors.

7irishkitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Quote:
In the animal group I volunteered last year, there was only one male cat lover and he was gay. It is my impression that straight men don't like to be known openly as cat lovers. Blame it on society.
That's the problem. I think I'd even go so far as to say that there is a stigma attached to being a straight male with cats. This has caused me over the last year to deal with some awkward moments. I love my furballs to pieces, and I'm not ashamed to say that - BUT - I feel like whenever I would mention that I have cats to my law school classmates, they would either label me as:

1) Homosexual
or
2) Weird (for having cats - I'm not saying that it's weird to be homosexual)

People are too quick to jump to conclusions about me - and anyone really.
You are absolutely right about most people jumping to conclusions about men and cats but in my experience I have always judged a man or potential date or boyfriend by bringing him to my house and seeing how he interacts with my cats

If my cats liked him then I knew there could be a chance, if they didn't, it was adios to him!  I know that may be silly but I could never see myself with someone who didn't get along with and love my fur babies too.   Cats are an amazing judge of character!

My father has never really loved cats "he tolerates them because my mom loves them" but cats love him and will climb on him and want to sit next to him even though he ignores them.  They can just tell that he is a good person and they enjoy being around him. 

I have a lot of male friends who love cats "one just joined the site" and they are very manly. 

On a humorous note I have a male friend who has a shirt that says "My cat makes me happy, you... not so much"  

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
   I love it! Gotta get one.
get one for me as well xD

I'm a guy and I am glad to say I have three cats (and would love more!) I have always been a cat person, I've always felt a special connection with them (believe I WAS a cat in my previous life) believing in reincarnation such as I do.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
*sigh*

I would love to find a man who loved cats as much as I do!  But the guys I meet claim to like cats or animals in general, their mannerisms around my cats do not convey that.  And I refuse to become involved with someone who allergic or just tolerates them.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But the guys I meet claim to like cats or animals in general, their mannerisms around my cats do not convey that.
My experience with my friends has been the opposite of that. Apparently I missed the memo where if you're a man, you're supposed to go around and tell everyone you know that cats are gay and dogs are infinitely better (heck, I know a couple of women like that, too). You're also supposed to exclaim how surprised you are that anyone would ever want to own a cat, just in case you haven't insulted any potential cat owners enough. However, these same people fall in love my cats when they visit, because "they're so much cooler than normal cats. They're so laid back and awesome, it must be because you treat them like dogs and because they're being raised by a man." Yes, apparently baby talking, snuggling, kissing, petting, and holding cats are all things that only a man would do 
. Well, whatever stipulations they attach to it to convince themselves they are still men after finding out they like cats, I know that these guys who vocally disapprove of cats are really just big softies who melt the second one of my cats starts doing figure 8's through their legs.

My biggest "cat hater" friend spent 2 hours playing with my kitten when we had people over for a football game. He is the most sports-obsessed friend I have, and his favorite team, Notre Dame, was playing. He missed half the game because he was so enthralled by my 3-month-old kitten.

Last edited:

gibbly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep, I never got the memo, either.  Nor did my neighbor, Sam.
I got the memo, because I was raised by my cat (and anything else soft and fuzzy) hating father..I just chose to ignore it

I've had a few dogs, and eh..they don't do it for me, dogs stink, first of all no matter if they've been bathed or not, the smell of dogs just UGH assults the nostrils
granted alot of dogs I've been around have adored me, and I would love to get a dog, I'll always be a cat person

Last edited:

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My biggest "cat hater" friend spent 2 hours playing with my kitten when we had people over for a football game. He is the most sports-obsessed friend I have, and his favorite team, Notre Dame, was playing. He missed half the game because he was so enthralled by my 3-month-old kitten.
The Reagan quote, "There's something good about the outside of a horse for the inside of a boy," kind of applies to kittens, too.

If there is anything better than playing with, petting, and cuddling with purring kittens, I've never found out what it was.

subvet642

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are such a card.  I think that a sorta strange sense of humor comes from being a cat person.  Or maybe the other way around.
  It's kinda odd that I didn't grow up a cat person. We had a poodle. I'd never had a cat until my wife bought Ninotchka from a breeder (her mother, Deli, was adopted out to us). The first time Nina jumped on my chest, settled in and started purring; I was lost.

mycattigger

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is so wonderful. Ive had him for 11years and i am truely acat persson.

mycatbella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am a 60 year old single male who owns two female Tabbies, Bella and Sophia.  My love for cats began twenty years ago when I noticed a message on the board at work asking if anyone would please adopt a small black cat owned by an Air Force family that was transferring overseas.  Already named, of course, it was on-the-job training for me to understand my new roommate.  Sta-Puff filled my life with wonderful memories, and so I was very heartbroken when she had to be put down.  It wasn't until a few years ago that I was willing to take in another cat.

Sta-Puff, I let run the neighborhood, as I thought that was the way of all cats.  Today, however, I only take my cats outside the house in transports or on a leash.  You can watch me taking my cat, Bella, out for a walk here:   It's not a long video as it was filmed during the early stages of her training.  I praise her throughout the length of the video.  Eventually, she got to where she looked forward to her walks, and loved to lead the way.  These days, Bella prefers being inside, although a walk once in a while she still welcomes.

My occupation, as the Pest Mgmt. Professional for the fed. govt., demands that I capture young and old feral cats from under govt. bldgs.  Hav-a-Heart traps work well when baited with wet or dry cat food, although there are times when an untargeted animal, like a 'possum, will take the bait.  The cats I catch, I always find homes for, as there are several feral cat colonists in this area.  Several years ago, I caught two blue Russians that seemed to be very healthy.  I easily found them a good home.

Dave

lukey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

My 2 cats are my best friends, and maybe my only friends. I'm a male, age 61. I was married for a few years in the 70s but had no kids. I've had some very unique health issues and most people I used to know no longer seem to have any use for me and I have not made new friends to take their place. I have 1 sister left that lives 800 miles away that I do not get along with very well. I love and respect my 2 cats.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now, those are good looking guys, and very good photos of them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jimanuel12

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i know i have said this a hundred times, but my wife turned me on to cats, she always loved them, i said "as long as we are married - we are never gonna have a cat" - well i had to eat those words, we adopted a stray kitten many years ago, she was an inside outside cat - she got hit by a car and then we got another kitten - made her a house cat because my wife cried for 3 days after our cat got killed.

Penelope lived for almost 18 years and was my wife's cat - she just tolerated me (LOL) but i loved that cat.

then we got our new baby about 4 years ago and she was instantly my cat from day one - i love that little fur ball.  she is daddy's girl for sure - my wife can't believe that the cat is mine since she picked her out of the litter.  she is just a blessing - i have been a cat lover for a long time now and realize how smart they are and what fun they can be.  my baby will fetch a ball like a dog, follows me around the house, comes to me when i call her name.  sometimes i think she is a dog in a cat suit (LOL).

cats are such cool critters.