Are There Any Clumping Cat Litters That Are Safe For Cats?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ive always wondered how safe clumping litter is for a cat if they eat it when they bathe themselves. are there any litters that clump but is safe for a cats system?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of Bio degradable clumping litters on the market now. I am really liking the grass litters these days. I normally use Abound that i pick up from Kroger, or pioneer brand i get from chewy. I also really like litter maid walnut litter, i get it at walmart.

Blue buffalo, okocat, swheat scoop, and worlds best are just a few other clumping non clay litters i can think of.

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Longtime World's Best Cat Litter user here for our ferrets and now our kitty. Corn-based, clumping, safe to ingest and flush.

The red bag is what I use. I didn't at all like the green bag formula, but that's me.

FlawlessImperfection

Life isn’t perfect, and it’s lovely that way. ❤️
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We love OkoCat wood clumping litters! I used non clumping Crystal litters before that, and have completely changed my mind to wood clumping litter. The box weighs nothing to carry, price is right, and there is absolutely no smell in my home now. I’m so glad we switched, and it’s safe- not cementing itself on the kitty’s bum, just the stuff that comes out of th kitty’s bum! ;)

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Smart Cat is made of grass. It clumps very well. It also tracks quite a bit. I put a litter catcher mat in front of the box and that helps. World's Best Cat Litter is also a great choice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you everyone! i saw worlds best cat litter at my local walmart. ill pick some up soon.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to use Swheat Scoop a few years ago. I was pretty happy with it, just didn't like the idea of a "food based" litter (i.e. corn, wheat, walnut, etc.) But it was pretty good stuff.

I do worry about clumping litter, too. I often think of switching to non-clumping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i started reading about corn based litters causing illness from the mold. has anyone had this issue?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Corn can be a problem, I personally wouldn't use it.
I did find that I liked littermaid's corncob litter, nonclumping, for it's dust absorption when mixed with a bentonite clay clumping litter.

Tillybug

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love Swheat Scoop. Been using it almost a year. No dust, flushable, no stink. I have one cat who is a very enthusiastic digger and 2 boxes I maintain multiple times a day.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
i started reading about corn based litters causing illness from the mold. has anyone had this issue?
Both of my vets (traditional and holistic) warned me against it for that reason. They won’t use it for their cats. I use both Pioneer Pet SmartCat clumping grass and Okocat clumping wood. Very light weight, so yes, they track. I have litter mats and a cheap stick vacuum that I keep by the boxes for a quick sweep every other day. I have no issues with litter box odor at all.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Longtime World's Best Cat Litter user here for our ferrets and now our kitty. Corn-based, clumping, safe to ingest and flush.

The red bag is what I use. I didn't at all like the green bag formula, but that's me.
Gauntylgrym Gauntylgrym I am also a longtime World's Best Cat Litter user. LOVE the green bag and really can't tolerate the red bag. I'm glad there are options! We also mix Blue Naturally Fresh walnut litter with WB. We also use the green bag of Blue as well.

Remember when you change litter, to do it gradually. Start with a 25% new/75% old mix and then over a period of weeks reduce the amount until you're using totally new litter. I like to put the new litter on the bottom of the pan and then top it with the old brand. The cat will mix up the litter for you.

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
The solution to stop these light weight litters tracking is this box, seriously it’s amazing! I was suggested it also, and wouldn’t buy another box now! With the old one, she would just jump out and mats can’t clean when you jump over them. :rolleyes3: Now, There isn’t any litter in my house that makes it past the mat. Just sweep the stairs when you scoop! They have to use the steps, so they clean their paws when they walk out. I do place a mat at the door too. Make sure you get the one with stairs, good luck! :)
Booda Petmate Dome Cleanstep Cat Box, Brushed Nickel

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
We love OkoCat wood clumping litters! I used non clumping Crystal litters before that, and have completely changed my mind to wood clumping litter. The box weighs nothing to carry, price is right, and there is absolutely no smell in my home now. I’m so glad we switched, and it’s safe- not cementing itself on the kitty’s bum, just the stuff that comes out of th kitty’s bum! ;)
I used to use okocat but stopped because I became concerned about what they use in their proprietary formula to make it clump. When I contacted okocat they wouldn’t tell me what they add to the wood to make it clump and suggested that I don’t use it if my cat has allergies.

profcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Blue Buffalo Walnut shell cat litter is AMAZING. We tried SweatScoop and World's Best, and neither really held up to regular use by our multicat family (we have 6 litter boxes). And they're both expensive. Blue Buffalo litter is super affordable, lasts longer, clumps great, and has great odor control!

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another World's Best red bag user here. I've been using it for a few years now and absolutely love it. Zero issues with mold but I scoop the boxes numerous times a day. I suppose if you let it sit without cleaning then sure, you may run into mold issues.

sweetblackpaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I absolutely love Swheat Scoop. Been using it almost a year. No dust, flushable, no stink. I have one cat who is a very enthusiastic digger and 2 boxes I maintain multiple times a day.
I used to use this, too - it is good stuff. Also not too heavy to carry. If it were slightly more affordable, I would consider going back to it. No dust, good clumping, easy to find.

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to use okocat but stopped because I became concerned about what they use in their proprietary formula to make it clump. When I contacted okocat they wouldn’t tell me what they add to the wood to make it clump and suggested that I don’t use it if my cat has allergies.
Oh no! Did you have a problem with it? I’ve never heard those concerns before, is it because you heard something from another source, hade issues yourself, or because you just don’t know what the ingredient(s?) are? Buttercup had sneezing issues with both Crystal and sand type litters, this one has been great for us so far. She is my first cat and I try so hard to read and review and learn about all her things, I didn’t connect her coughs to her old litters- I though she may have had a hair ball. (Which I’ve never had the pleasure of seeing yet thank goodness!) But, since we started using OkoCat she stopped any coughing and/or sneezing, and my house smells SO much better too! Thanks for sharing and caring about all these little fuzzy home rulers! ;)

FlawlessImperfection

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Blue Buffalo Walnut shell cat litter is AMAZING. We tried SweatScoop and World's Best, and neither really held up to regular use by our multicat family (we have 6 litter boxes). And they're both expensive. Blue Buffalo litter is super affordable, lasts longer, clumps great, and has great odor control!
Good to know!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Did you have a problem with it? I’ve never heard those concerns before, is it because you heard something from another source, hade issues yourself, or because you just don’t know what the ingredient(s?) are? Buttercup had sneezing issues with both Crystal and sand type litters, this one has been great for us so far. She is my first cat and I try so hard to read and review and learn about all her things, I didn’t connect her coughs to her old litters- I though she may have had a hair ball. (Which I’ve never had the pleasure of seeing yet thank goodness!) But, since we started using OkoCat she stopped any coughing and/or sneezing, and my house smells SO much better too! Thanks for sharing and caring about all these little fuzzy home rulers! ;)
I can't directly link any issues to it for certain, but one of my cats developed sores around his face when we started using it and I always wondered if it was due to that.

I think if it's working for you though then it's probably fine. I'm sure it's not the only brand of "natural" litter to have a proprietary formula of clumping additives.