Are Sticky Paws Safe...

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
What did his paws get sticky with?

If he walked in something on the kitchen counter such as gravy or jam/jelly, or sugar, he'll probably be ok. If he walked through some spilled toothpaste or mouthwash, or even hand lotion on the bathroom counter, he will probably be ok but you might see some diarrhea.

If, however, he walked through anything really dangerous such as spilled cleaning agent, oil or gasoline, or weed killer on the garage floor or outside, you need to watch for vomiting if he did in fact lick his paws.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you talking about the Sticky Paws double sided tape stuff that goes on furniture, etc to keep a cat off? It might not taste very goof and the sticky texture might not appeal to a cat's tongue but the very small amount of adhesive that may cling to paws is safe if ingested.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one cat I know of that was exposed to sticky paws had no visible side effects. Other than that he quit scratching my father's leather recliner!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes the 2 sided tape called sticky paws. the package says Sticky Paws is not intended for animal or human consumption and may cause injury or death. Scared me. I want him to stop scratching the tv, but I don't want him to get sick or die.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And sorry I wasn't more clear about what I was talking about. I typed it in a hurry because we were getting ready to go out.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could contact the manufacturer, I'm assuming that they are referring to if the actual product/tape is ingested, but it would be good to know for certain :)

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he is licking it, so I took it off to be safe. Have to try to come up with something else that will keep him away from the tv. Sigh.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Furballsmom Furballsmom . I like this suggestion: plastic carpet runners with points up. I will go shopping this weekend. He wasn't that deterred by the sticky stuff anyway. He clearly didn't like it but it didn't really stop him.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put some down today, and so far it has kept him away. However, he's switched to scratching my computer monitor :lol:
I can live with that better than the tv.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness!! How old is your little room re-designer?
Would a couple different styles of scratchers, --sisal, cardboard, hanging, lying on the floor, posts, et al, help?

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness!! How old is your little room re-designer?
Would a couple different styles of scratchers, --sisal, cardboard, hanging, lying on the floor, posts, et al, help?
He is about 1.5 years old, and a real pistol. I have 2 towers with sisal and carpet, 4 cardboard scratchers on the floor, 2 scratching posts (one upstairs one downstairs), 2 of the round scratchers with the ball that rolls around (one upstairs and one downstairs), 3 cardboard beds. He uses the upright ones more than the cardboard ones on the floor (Cricket likes those). He doesn't scratch them if we aren't using them, so it can't be that he just like the smooth surface. Last evening I picked him off the table (with the runner) about 6 times before he decided to come over here and scratch the screen. Nothing seems to stop him.

We are kind of thinking he's just a butthead :lol:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LOL

Is it the warmth --of the screen? or maybe more likely, the movement on the screen?

Hmmm. I'm pretty sure nobody makes a warmed scratching post LOL maybe you 'n I have a niche product there :thumbsup:

Seriously though, do you have an old ipad or laptop you could set up with streaming videos of squirrels, birds etc and see if you can redirect him to that? I hate to think of your expensive equipment getting shredded...

Last edited: