Are 'scottish Straights' And British Shorthairs The Same Breed?

pippapurring

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 3yo blue scottish fold named Tuffsen, he doesn't have the folded ear gene but five out of eight kittens from his litter do. Just curious if those in the breeding community consider scottish 'straights' a separate breed from british shorthairs or are they the same? He looks pretty much exactly like a british shorthair which is what's made me wonder.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
British Shorthairs are bred to Scottish Folds (because you can't breed 2 Folds), so they're pretty similar. But a Scottish Straight may carry the fold gene and a British Shorthair won't.

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are same breed, as scottish fold normally cross british short hair, thus a straight ear kitten just normal british short hair

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Scottish Folds and British Shorthair are classified as different breeds by both CFA and TICA.

CFA allows Scottish Fold outcrosses with both British Shorthair and American Shorthair. Neither British Shorthair nor American Shorthair allow outcrosses. That means any kitten born to a breeding with one Fold can only be registered as a Fold.

TICA recognizes Scottish Folds and Scottish Straights as separate breeds. As with CFA, they are allowed outcrosses with Brits (SH & LH) and American SH. And again, the British and American breeds are not allowed any outcrosses. Therefore any kittens who have one Scottish (straight or fold) parent cannot be registered as British.

Zoren

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think people find it confusing as many breeders advertise and sell Scottish Straights, with a British Shorthair parent an a Fold parent, as a British Shorthair. This is misleading as they are considered purebred Scottish Straights by CFA and TICA. Providing the parents are registered purebreds, the offspring can be registered and shown only as a Scottish Straight. This is because neither British or American Shorthairs can have a registered outcross and they are the acceptable breeds to cross with a Scottish Fold. It is not acceptable to breed two Folds together due to the extreme risks to the offspring's health. This compromise may allow for a more humane continuance of the Fold breed. I note that some do not agree.
I believe, in many cases, outcrossing has resulted in the Straight looking more like the British than ones being born of two Scottish cats. It may produce nuanced behavioral/personality differences as well as size difference. Though minimal, It is something to consider. My Scottish Straight has a British mom. He looks like a British but has some Fold traits that I really like. Keep in mind that no domestic cats are really purebred. No outcrosses-no breeds. Just wild cats LOL.