TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last edited by a moderator:

alldaymarianne

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
YES, RACCOONS ARE DANGEROUS TO OUTDOOR CATS and other pets, and to humans. I just had a litter of kittens eaten because the mother was young and inexperienced and left them in an unsafe place, and we also just lost our rooster and a hen to the same smart marauder.  

Raccoons are omnivores, like little bears.  They eat everything, including adult chickens and baby kittens.  Raccoons are physically strong and resilient for their size, highly intelligent, have sharp teeth, clever "hands," and are excellent swimmers; the babies are extra-cute and smart, but get aggressive when they reach sexual maturity.

They carry a type of roundworms that in turn spread baylisascaris, which can be spread to kittens by sniffing coon poop (and the coons often poop where they eat). ( http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/baylisascaris/epi.html ) This is a serious disease, and human children young enough to stick fingers in their mouths are at greatest risk. YOU are at risk if poop gets spread into the house on the bottoms of shoes. I was told by the Lichterman Nature Center in Memphis that they would not rehab coons, because the worm eggs are difficult to eradicate, and the cages must not only be disinfected but also treated with extreme heat (a propane torch or other heat source) to eradicate the roundworms that KILL other animals.

I like raccoons, and am sorry they carry these parasites and are unhealthy around humans and pets, BUT PLEASE DON'T FEED THEM OR TRY TO MAKE PETS OF THEM.    Feed your cats in the mid-morning, and remove all food before night.  If you want to see what happened in Japan with raccoon overpopulation, see here:  People in Japan thought they were sweet little pets and imported them!

Here's one more documentary with really good info.

Raccoons belong in a natural environment, and eat "roots and berries," and crayfish, other fish, small animals, eggs, or whatever they find that's edible. They should be in the wild and fear humans, just like bears. Also like bears,  the ones found in cities who do not fear humans and are used to eating garbage should be killed humanely, if it's even possible to eradicate them at this point.  They can easily become as big a problem as rats, and make up in cleverness and strength for not being able to hide as easily as rats. 

Last edited by a moderator:

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since this thread has been revived I will add that Distemper is also a concern, along with rabies and the other long word I forgot to copy and paste.  Here in Ontario, Canada, we were raccoon rabies free for eons, but it did develop (thought to have been imported from New York state, we got rid of it and declared Ontario Raccoon Rabies free, and now it's back.  But still, Distemper is a more likely worry for most of Ontario.  And yes, they will fight to protect food sources, kill small animals and are a threat to cats.  

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi; I didn't think we have raccoons, but I think I just saw a few. I am worried that one may have killed a tuxedo cat that was hanging around our house and neighbors' last several weeks.
From what I can read on this forum, this is not incredibly likely. Before the cat disappeared, I heard a cat fight at night (in other neighbor's yard).Early next a.m. another cat that had hung around our yard for days at a time and then abruptly left for several weeks, then came back, was sitting near our back porch, like it was standing guard. Last few days I've seen this second cat at night going in/out from under our greenhouse, which is where Tuxedo cat seemed to be living.
I'd like to think there was a fight and smaller tux cat lost and changed territories.
Just now when I saw what I thought were raccoons, it seemed like there were like 5 cats, raccoons, or something going back and forth from under greenhouse (when I saw what I thought were raccoons i'd sprayed h20 on them), including one that was white. There are no white raccoons. But could cats/raccoons be existing together?
Any thoughts?
There are several cats that have appeared in the yard for a few days, disappeared for weeks or months, then made reappearance. Neighbor was feeding tux cat. Neighbor also has large inside dogs.
Also, I made a hot pepper spray to try to repel raccoons. Will it hurt cats?
Thanks!
p.s. w/fall coming, I have been meaning to try and find this cat a home (we have 3). This would take a huge amt of doing, as 1st u have to find the home, then u have t trap the cat. W family member in hospital I didn't yet get to it. I'd like to think cat still alive. 'tux cats supposed to be smart.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, it would be good to known if they really are raccoons. They DO co-exist together, like sharing the underneath of a building, but usually one or the other will eventually drive the other out. If one was white and it IS a raccoon, it is an incredibly rare albino, I would get hold of your game and parks service where or near you live and inform them. They may want to trap them for you. White wild animals don't live long in the wild, they are too visible to predators. it could also be a lighter, almost white possum too, I have seen those. Adult cats and raccoons usually get along with each other. In all my years I have only had one cat I think was killed by a raccoon, it is rare an adult cat will fight a raccoon. I really think your tuxedo was most likely driven off by another tom, especially since you heard a catfight. He may sneak back for food when the other isn't around.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
If you have raccoons that are living amicably with the cats it's not a good idea to try and drive them away. I have a raccoon that has been coming every evening to eat and never bothers my cats at all. I've caught him on camera a few times, just ignoring the cats and going about his business while the cats watch him.

If you drive one raccoon or group of raccoons away other will move in. You could end up with a raccoon that is aggressive towards cats. Another danger is that you could end up with a raccoon that has rabies, distemper, scabies or mange. Any of which could be passed on to other animals in the area.

Spraying a hot pepper spray is a very bad idea. It will hurt the cats if they get near it and it's a pretty inhumane thing to do to any wild animal.

The best thing to do is trap the cat as soon as you can and get them fixed and vaccinated. That way they will get into less fights with other cats and stand less chance of being infected with whatever other wildlife might be carrying.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have raccoons who appear around here from time to time. I feed my ferals near my back door area, very close to the house, and occasionally a raccoon or two will show up and eat the food. They are bold and don't leave immediately at the sight of a human. I usually have to go outside to encourage them to leave, which they do grudgingly. If I don't see them, I always know that they are around, as opposed to skunks and possums, because they use the water very messily and throw dishes around.

I have never known of one here to kill a cat, or at least not any cat on whom I kept tabs or had TNRed myself. In the few "confrontations" where the cats and raccoons came face to face, the cats backed off until I went outside. The other morning two male ( I assume) raccoons got into a more or less fight in the very early morning on the other side of my property, but the cats just sat and waited for their breakfast.

My neighbor just used a humane trapping and relocating company to help her with skunks. After construction, the crew left without securing any vents or window wells and skunks moved in under her house. Even by my very sympathetic standards where animals are concerned, this was going to be a huge problem and they did quickly come to my house as well, enter the garage, and chase the cats away from their food.

I agree that you should fix the cat and not use the spray. Pepper spray is pretty diffuse, hard to control exactly where it goes, and could affect the cat if he steps in it and licks his paws or breathes it in.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Raccoons are little masked gang bangers and there is always 3 or 4 of them if you see one. They can kill an adult cat. They are wicked smart and brutal. In my experience.

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks so much for all replies! Seems like would be helpful to know whether tux, 2nd cat both toms. Will have to dig through my pics, then post and see if anyone can tell. In meantime, I'm putting hot pepper homemade spray as well as coyote/red fox urine granules around foundation of house. there's no reason for cats to go right up close to foundation i don't think. any other opinions always welcome!

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On the Next Door app, someone posted that a raccoon killed their cute little jack russell terrier. and that's why I want to ensure they don't kill tux.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's very rare for raccoons to attack dogs. Did they actually see the attack happen? Coyotes will kill dogs, but if a raccoon approaches and attacks a dog it could be because of rabies. All the more reason to be concerned about Tux and the other cats.

I wouldn't recommend using pepper spray or coyote/red fox urine for now. This will scare the cats away and if there are coyotes in your area it could attract them. They'll sniff out the smell of other coyotes and come to check them out.

Do you have any experience of TNR? Trapping and neutering the cats should be your first step. Getting them vaccinated will protect them if there are other animals with rabies in the area. If they are outdoor/feral cats you can make them an enclosure to keep them away from predators. A room in your house or a new home would be best for them, but if that's not possible right now even a crate in a shed or garage will do until Tux can be rehomed.

purrfect mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Norachan. Yes, saw attack happen. Raccoon also attacked owner who tried to save dog. This was diff. neighborhood.
Re trapping: can't find tux cat to trap. Gone. That's why hoping wasn't killed by raccoons. My 3 cats indoor.Haven't seen coyotes in my area for several years. That doesn't mean they aren't here. City/County did trap/kill or relocate a bunch like 5 yrs ago.
I do want cats in yard - that's why I sprinkled very very sparingly and only at different points right around foundation. Ignored greenhouse - don't know how far away a raccoon can smell a tiny sprinkling of coyote/red fox urine or pepper infusion. This is all new to me! What I do know is that i don't want raccoons or anything else trying to make themselves at home come fall/winter.I already rescued our initial cat as it seemed to be living under greenhouse, 1.5 yrs ago. I've got too much on my plate already w/relative facing long recovery after operation.
When it rains it's going to wash away scent, so it's not forever, right?
If anyone has experience w/this stuff that'd be good to know. It seems like we tend to see the same feral/stray cats for weeks, months - they're gone sometime for months, then we'll come home and one will be sitting in the middle of the front yard.So there couldn't be too many predators, right?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
So are you feeding Tux? Or does he just hang out in your yard sometimes?

If there is food around it will attract other animals, raccoons. possums coyotes (if there are any) as well as other cats. Adult feral cats usually learn to avoid predators, but a territory with a food source is obviously going to become something animals compete for.

If you're going to feed outdoor cats you have to be really careful about only feeding when you can see the cats eating and making sure no food or even bowls that smell of food are left outside. Cats can tell how well fed other cats are by the way they smell and so follow them to find the food source. That's why feeding one outdoor cat always leads to other cats showing up.

Cats can exist peacefully together (I have over 20 former feral cats in my house and yard) but you need to make sure they are all spayed and neutered. Intact cats will fight and of course you'll end up with way more kittens than you can ever afford to feed or find homes for.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't you think the pepper spray coyote urine won't drive the cats away? Cats have the best sense of smell of almost any creature out there. However you place the stuff the cats will smell it and assume there is a coyote/predator in their one time territory and leave.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever thought about switching your feeding times? That's what I did when I was feeding feral/stray cats over at Hood's parking-lot. Normally I fed the cat at nine at night and then it became eight forty-five. Even something as small as 15 minutes threw the raccoons off. I also slightly changed the location.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Window of time can make a big difference. I am doing that now with a baby possum who wants the leftover cat food....although I don't mind helping him out, just not at that time.

I have to agree that the wrong use of predator urine could spook the cats. My cats run if I even have lemon scented soap on my hands. Yes, I have used predator urine in an attempt, years ago, to get rid of rats. I even hired a humane exterminating company who used it. There were no outdoor cats at the time and it conclusively did not work at all. In your case it could cut both ways, attracts coyotes and repels cats. Coyote urine is known to attract coyotes who are looking for mates.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had both stray cats and raccoons and they get along no issues. I had one issue once where an aggressive Tom would go after the raccoons but they would run away. I ended up bringing that stray in during the night. They a much more docile than a Tom.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
We have had both stray cats and raccoons and they get along no issues. I had one issue once where an aggressive Tom would go after the raccoons but they would run away. I ended up bringing that stray in during the night. They a much more docile than a Tom.

I agree, usually animals do not want to risk an injury and avoid fights at all cost. That was nice what you did for the tom kitty. By the way, I like your kitty's bright smile. :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Window of time can make a big difference. I am doing that now with a baby possum who wants the leftover cat food....although I don't mind helping him out, just not at that time.

I have to agree that the wrong use of predator urine could spook the cats. My cats run if I even have lemon scented soap on my hands. Yes, I have used predator urine in an attempt, years ago, to get rid of rats. I even hired a humane exterminating company who used it. There were no outdoor cats at the time and it conclusively did not work at all. In your case it could cut both ways, attracts coyotes and repels cats. Coyote urine is known to attract coyotes who are looking for mates.

Help your fellow baby possum out. :) I think they are so cute when they are babies, they look like Ferrets.