Are Puppy-Training Pads 'Safe' To Use For Cats?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought some today in the hopes of "potty training" Cassidy (I'm getting desperate!
), but before using them, I figured I should read the directions just in case there may be a chemical used that may be unsafe to cats. There's a chemical called 'pheromone' that's used on the puppy pads to attrack the puppy, but I don't know if it's hazardous to cats.
The directions don't say one way or another.

Does anyone know?

~KK~

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't think so....a pheromon is simply a smell released by a body, be it human, cat or dog, that attracts the same. It is a chemical reaction and related to molecules....but I would bet that it won't affect your cat at all.

I use puppy training pads for my elderly cat..but I put them under newspaper because she hangs her butt over the litter box, from the inside, and proceeds to pee all over the floor. So, I use them for their intended use...just with newspaper on top of them.

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A friend who has an elderly cat who can't make it to the litter box on time very often has used the puppy pads for several years. She worked at an animal shelter, so she'd know if there were a problem.

She never has had one. I'd assume they are altogether safe. But check w/your vet just to make sure.

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We used on with Tubee as a baby and he is just fine. So i would say yes it is fine to use and very handy!

Manda

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I set the pads around the litterboxes today, and I just checked them. There was pooh on one of them!
Maybe Cassidy is finally "getting it"!

After I noticed the mess, I took the pooh and set it in the litterbox, then got Cassidy and showed her where it goes. Then I put her in the box, and took her foot and showed her how to "bury" it. I praised her profusely, and told her what a goooood kitty she was!

Even if she never uses the litterbox and continues to use the pads, I'd be happy with that!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

peeps for your feedback!