Are Olives ok as cat treats?

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband loves green olives as a snack. Our cat Diamond is very curious about the olives and licks the olives. We think she gets high off the olives. Are olives safe for cats to eat? Thanks for the input in advance. :chescat:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My husband loves green olives as a snack. Our cat Diamond is very curious about the olives and licks the olives. We think she gets high off the olives. Are olives safe for cats to eat? Thanks for the input in advance.
I'd avoid them simply because green olives are brined and therefore very salty. Cats aren't big water drinkers to begin with so to add something so salty to their diet, even in moderation probably isn't the best. What "In moderation" means to you and me is a lot different than what it means to something as small as the average cat. I'd stick with meat based treats like Pure Bites chicken. All 3 of my cats adore these. I buy the big bag for dogs from Amazon and break them up for treats and crumble them on food as a topper. They are just freeze dried chicken breast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have Friskies Party Mix crunchy original treats for her. It's just crazy how obsessed she gets with the olives ! We have to really keep an eye on her while we eat them.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a cat ages ago, named Shmoo, who absolutely LOVED green olives. In hindsight, I often wonder if that had anything to do with the "sand" problems he developed later in life. He's the only cat that liked green olives (and yeah, we fed them at the time) and the only one that had the sand problems. It's feasible that it was just a coincidence.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat, Pumpkin, who went crazy each time my mom opened up a can of black olives for a salad! She did act as if it was catnip: rolling around, excessive purring, begging for one. 

We used to give her one olive!! OMGosh!! what she did with it! Pumpkin first went over to it, rubbed against it, licked it--took all of the juice away and then started batting it around the kitchen as if it was a toy! 

Pumpkin was indeed high as a kite!!

Thank Goodness Artie does not have that fetish!! He is not even crazy about catnip!!

Last edited:

samus

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sometimes I let my cat make out with my olive pits, because she's sooooo in love. I didn't know it was such a common thing!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes I let my cat make out with my olive pits, because she's sooooo in love. I didn't know it was such a common thing!!
:lol3: that's quite the image!

I didn't know that about the chemical similar to catnip. My Pushy likes olives too. I will let him lick one from time to time.

jennacat1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bear likes green olives, but not black ones. And he prefers the big garlic stuffed ones from the bucket at the Mediterranean store with the garlic removed. He'll play with one for a while until all the juice is gone and then 'park' it under the couch and roll it out over the next few days to eat a nibble at a time. When he's done he leaves it out where one of us will step on it...at night, in the dark, in bare feet. Soooo considerate. :)

He's not such a big fan of the sliced salad ones, though. Both hubby and I have had the privilege of being owned by many cats over the years but he's the first one that likes olives...or refried beans...or ketchup...while catnip might as well be dried parsley as far as he's concerned. The theory that there is some common chemical makes some sense. His brother loved catnip but wouldn't touch any kind of 'human' food, not even fish or chicken.